Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to London by car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

irish-stew wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a thread that mentions both britain and ireland, without it turning into political-landscape/geography lesson?

It's not possible to have a thread on most things without it coming up, never mind one suggesting that we connect the two by tunnel :pac:

I think we should connect the two by cable car, Carrauntuohill to Ben Nevis, who's with me? ... Anyone?

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

It's not possible to have a thread on most things without it coming up, never mind one suggesting that we connect the two by tunnel :pac:

I think we should connect the two by cable car, Carrauntuohill to Ben Nevis, who's with me? ... Anyone?

:o

We can make use of that stupid spire on O'Connell Street to support the cable half way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Bit off topic but I remember plans to run a cable car across the Liffey from Smithfield to somewhere on the southside, possibly the Guinness centre
    And it would be called Suas

Maybe it was an April fools joke in the papers, I'm not sure now as it was a few years ago.

But I thought it was a decent idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Something like Irelands only cable car down here in the lovely county of Cork. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

m@cc@ wrote: »
    In AH? No.

I expect mention of Islam, the Catholic Church, banks and head shops also to figure.

You left out AH newspaper of choice The Daily Mail ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Belfast/Larne to Stranraer - both in the UK so let the tans pay for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why? Why would the UK and/or the EU want to be connected by Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Bit off topic but I remember plans to run a cable car across the Liffey from Smithfield to somewhere on the southside, possibly the Guinness centre
    And it would be called Suas

Maybe it was an April fools joke in the papers, I'm not sure now as it was a few years ago.

But I thought it was a decent idea

This

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/suas-the-cable-car-olanned-for-quays-1050297.html

I think it was proof that some people went mad during the boom years and proof that they had more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Why? Why would the UK and/or the EU want to be connected by Ireland?

And why wouldn't they young man?

Were those bord failte ads incorrect?

Lapin wrote: »
    This

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/suas-the-cable-car-olanned-for-quays-1050297.html

I think it was proof that some people went mad during the boom years and proof that they had more money than sense.

Dear Jesus :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Hopefully when they finish this tunnel they could make another one between Galway and New York. I'd love to make a nice leisurely weekend drive to Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

bonerm wrote: »
    Hopefully when they finish this tunnel they could make another one between Galway and New York. I'd love to make a nice leisurely weekend drive to Manhattan.

certainly shur!

and tell me would ye be liking yore tunnel well ventilated and the right size so yore car can fit through it

oh ya would

well that'll cost ya extra so it will

may the road rise up before ya...well maybe not...lets hope it stays level shur.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Dear Jesus :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:eek: Indeed.

Pic.......

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=910744

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

amacca wrote: »
    certainly shur!

and tell me would ye be liking yore tunnel well ventilated and the right size so yore car can fit through it

oh ya would

well that'll cost ya extra so it will

may the road rise up before ya...well maybe not...lets hope it stays level shur.

Oh I thought money wasn't an issue in this thread.

Lapin wrote: »

:eek:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Knowing the Brits the bridge will get famous and they'll claim it for themselves :mad:

Unless it does something bad in which case it'll be Irish again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

bonerm wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_tunnel

Galway-Scotland-Iceland-Greenland-Nova Scotia-New York. Then back home in time for lunch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I did a few measurements in Google Earth: on the Larne-Stranraer route, the shortest route would be about 36km, but even that's not the closest to the UK. It's just over 20km from around Portaleen Bay in Antrim to the coast of the Mull of Kintyre. However, putting a road on the Scottish side would be highly problematic: there's a flipping huge mountain (Beinn na Lice) that goes up from steep cliffs. It would be far more of a detour than Larne-Stranraer.

As for the bridge length: it can be done. There's already a sea bridge of 42km in China, and plans for an even longer one of 50km linking Hong Kong to Macau.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement