Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Knocked into the house where you grew up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

i grew up in an old farm house, 200 years old to date, passed on in the family from generation to generation. my parents have now passed away, and the house is empty... my brother has a new house next door, on the farm. i call to the old house ever long weekend,or when i am free, and keep it clean, and lookingup to date the best i can, along with the rest of my family, who have also moved away.I cant imagine how hard it must be to see the house you have grown up in being lived in by someone else. the tought of anyone other then family living in the house would destroy me i think!!!thats one advantage of growin up in a farming family... the house we were brought up in is ours for ever... (unless something goes drastically wrong, and the farm has to be sold...but that usually very unlikely.

anyway, in responce to your query...i think you should call in , and ask for a look around, and if the new owners dont like it..thats there problem i think . definitly. why should they be like that???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My parents live there, so once a year, maybe twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

With a wrecking ball once, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

irish-stew wrote: »
    The house I lived in 20 odd years ago was a flat on the top floor of a high rise in south london, i'd be lucky to make it though the car park. So no.
    A lot of the flat in Sowf Lundon are now privetly owned and modernised! You might be surprised who lives in the area now! But then again you may not:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

My parents live there, so once a year, maybe twice
    great to go home now and again and "re live" your youth!
    I am also lucky enough to still have aparent alive and living in the family home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Turned our old house into flats after we moved and built a terrible extension on what was once or lovely big back garden,hope my granda is haunting the bedroom that he passed away in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

my mum was selling her house years ago, and the people who were buying droped in a stupid times. Remeber once she woke me at 8 on a sunday morning down to this..

So a couple of months later after the house was sold me ma asked me to drop round to collect some post that was there..
    The cnuts left me on the doorstep in the pi55in rain while they faffed about getting the post...

So no.. never go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'd love to, I have two different houses in different towns that I moved away from and I'd really love to have a look around now.
    I actually dream about them sometimes, weird dreams like finding a doorway in my present house to bring me to one of my old houses, then something like a gap in the hedge that will bring me to my either old house.
    I also read that if you dream about old homes and they are in a state of disrepair or something like that then you regret leaving. Well I didn't have much choice but definitely don't regret it, I'm a bogger now but if I stayed in either of those spots I'd be a super bogger. Still would love to go back for a gurch though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Someone did that once. They came up to my house(a brother and sister) and said they lived there till they were 17 and it would mean the world to them if they could have a look around the house they grew up in. Well being the gentlemen i told them to f*ck off and slammed the door in their face. My house isn't a museum so go to hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I lived in England as a small child. Went back there couple of years ago with my parents and sister and my kids. Walked up the old street and to mine and my sisters horror, Mum gets out the camera and starts snapping:eek:. Woman comes out of house and asks is she ok, so Mum tells her we lived there 30yrs ago. Me and my sister cringe across the road while, Mum, Dad and my kids go in for the tour! Thought this was really nice of the woman, and Dad was chuffed to see work he'd done on the house still there:). Mum has stayed in contact with the woman every now and again. Really wish I'd got over my mortification and gone in too:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

The original house where we lived is gone from the family about 15 years & I've never been in it since, although I do swing by the road if I'm passing maybe once every couple of years or so.

However, my nephew (now 17), when he was three or four, was in the car with his parents somewhere around Rush & they passed a decrepit old cottage on the side of the road & he suddenly said "That's where I lived with my other family". Freaked the crap out of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

MoodeRator wrote: »
    A lot of the flat in Sowf Lundon are now privetly owned and modernised! You might be surprised who lives in the area now! But then again you may not:o

The car parks really not that bad, just no desire for it.

:D

I'm over to south/southwest london a few times a year, not to my old estate, but pass through the area, some of it not changed a bit, some really done up, some you wouldn't go through on a dark night.

Looked up one of the flats out of curiosty on an estate agent site a few years ago. Ground floor two bed in the block I lived in, 200K.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'd love to, I have two different houses in different towns that I moved away from and I'd really love to have a look around now.
    I actually dream about them sometimes, weird dreams like finding a doorway in my present house to bring me to one of my old houses, then something like a gap in the hedge that will bring me to my either old house.
    I also read that if you dream about old homes and they are in a state of disrepair or something like that then you regret leaving. Well I didn't have much choice but definitely don't regret it, I'm a bogger now but if I stayed in either of those spots I'd be a super bogger. Still would love to go back for a gurch though

Lived in a couple of different houses up untill the age of 18, often dream about one of them. Last one was last night, woke up in my old room, with the whole family staying over. Aunts, uncles, cousins, their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

The house I grew up in was demolished last year while I was up the country for college. Quite depressing when I came back to see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

galwayrush wrote: »
    The house i first got got laid in was replaced by a block of flats...

you reproducing so much that they needed a block of flats to house them all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tralalanin

i was in the house i grew up in not too long ago... the people who live there now got onto us as we had left stuff in the attic and they didnt want to throw them away just in case! was so strange dough everything seems sooo much bigger in my memory... but nice how some memories just came flooding back to me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Well i'm living in a house in the Liberties, one day last year two women came to the door. They were sisters from England and said their mother had grown up in the house and they remembered being in the house as kids when their uncle still lived there.

Turned out they were in Dublin for a cousins birthday party or something and their elderly mother was in the taxi outside. She wasn't too mobile but they helped her out and myself and my flatmates were more than happy to let them have a look about as it obviously meant a lot to them. The house has completely changed on the inside but they seemed just as happy to see how different some things were as much as seeing things that hadn't changed a bit. The mother said it was the first time back in 45 years or so.

I told one of the neighbours as they had lived in their house all their life, she came out and then went around the corner to tell another neighbour who came over and it turned out they were childhood friends and hadn't seen eachother in 60years.

I'm delighted we entertained them for all of 20 mins or so. The 2 daughters were delighted to resurrect childhood memories, the mother was able to remember stories from her childhood of all the families in the square and was reunited with a childhood friend after 50 or 60 years. All in all a nice experience :) Do it OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It'd be a nice thought, though if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't be in a hurry to let strangers into my house.

Advertisement