Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dot for .22

Options
  • 04-03-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a ruger 10/22 carbine and I'm looking to get a reasonable quality red dot sight for it, nothing over kill, just sufficient for a .22 that will hold its zero. Is there anywhere in Ireland that sell them? All my searches so far have just turned up poor quality ones for airsoft etc. Any help and advise would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

All my searches so far have just turned up poor quality ones for airsoft etc

Heh, was just going to suggest you check out the airsoft shops but that they might be low quality. Good luck finding one though!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

Cheers man, looking for something in the 100 quid range, the Bushnell TRS-25 would be ideal, although I'd like to get one with 1 MOA, if possible in that price range, is there any hassle importing optics to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I could be wrong but I think they could be restricted. Don't hold me to that either :)

dev110 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think they could be restricted. Don't hold me to that either :)

Import or just in general? Red dot would rule at falling plates!

Ketron wrote: »
    Import or just in general? Red dot would rule at falling plates!

In general. I won't say any more until someone can tell you for definitely either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Hilltop @ www.hilltopshootingsports.com have a wide range of sights including red dot sight in various configurations.

Give them a call and I'm sure they will be able to sort you out

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

dont know if they post here but if you know somebody in england who u could deliver it to and then get them to post it or bring it over
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/Category/812/red-dot-sights/?src=mid

Sorry about that I don't know what I am thinking of.
    Hope you get what you are looking for.

Bananaman wrote: »
    Hilltop @ www.hilltopshootingsports.com have a wide range of sights including red dot sight in various configurations.

Give them a call and I'm sure they will be able to sort you out

B'Man

Cheers B'Man, could see none listed on their site but I'll give them a bell tomorrow.

ormondprop wrote: »
    dont know if they post here but if you know somebody in england who u could deliver it to and then get them to post it or bring it over
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/Category/812/red-dot-sights/?src=mid

Hmm cheers man, I was trying to get somewhere in Ireland. But if all comes to all I get it from the UK, the US has export restrictions on optics as far as I know.

• Advertisement

I've been checking and most uk companys wont mail to ireland :(... B'man's recommendation is the best so far, is there any other stockers of quality red dots? On a side note, is it possible to acquire a licence for a 9mm rifle in ireland? If I could get a Ruger PC-9 i'll sell my 10/22 in an instance!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I've had a scope posted from this crowd. Quite good to deal with.
    http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the red dots/halo sights found in some airsoft shops, some of them are suitable for a 10/22 and are reasonably priced considering a real eotech is nearly €500. Have a closer look and handle one

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the red dots/halo sights found in some airsoft shops, some of them are suitable for a 10/22 and are reasonably priced considering a real eotech is nearly €500. Have a closer look and handle one

I'd love an eotech but its serious over kill for a 22! I hear ya though, :) I'll keep my eye out in airsoft shops, the best i've been offered has a MOA of 5 so far, bit rough at 100m!

Cheers for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I'd love an eotech but its serious over kill for a 22! I hear ya though, :) I'll keep my eye out in airsoft shops, the best i've been offered has a MOA of 5 so far, bit rough at 100m!

Cheers for the advice!

Great thing about an aimpoint or Eotech is they will last forever (I prefer Aimpoints on a rifle and Eotechs for shotguns) So maybe its overkill for a .22 but a few years down the line who knows what your putting on.

For the type of money that your asking for .......

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41534/sku=100005949/Product/STRIKEFIRE_RED_DOT_SCOPE

or

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41533/sku=100005947/Product/SPARC_RED_DOT_SCOPE

Doesnt mention that there waterproof but does say that the first linked scope " Rugged, one-piece aluminum alloy body was recoil tested to survive the pounding of 1,000 rounds of .375 H&H Magnum hunting ammo".

unfortunatly because of the value of them being over $100 USD youll need import paperwork for them.

after googling the company name "vortex optics" heres the link to there international distributors page.....

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/international_dealers

UK dealer (inc Ireland)....

Newpro Uk Limited
    Old Sawmills Road
    Oxfordshire, Faringdon, SN7 7DS
    Great Britain

Phone: 013-672-4241
    Email: chris@newprouk.co.uk

A quick look on there website and they only deal wholesale so email them and they would be able to tell you if anyone in the UK has it in stock.

From Newpro website....

"If emailing regarding the whereabouts of your nearest stockists, please make sure you include brief details of where you live and which product or products you are trying to locate."

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Dont know of any practical reasons why someone would
    want a red-dot sight in Ireland (other than for pure fun)
    for a real firearm when a standard illuminated scope would do for anything needing
    a glow/lighting/illuminating etc but
    maybe unknown to myself they may have their uses.

Airsoft red-dots are pretty crap to be honest even when it
    comes to playing the game. (have not got a clue how they hold a zero)
    Skirmishers would probably have my head on a platter and will want
    to crucify me but personally I reckon its more of a Walter Mitty thing for looks and pretending to play solider than something practical or useful and in reality they are a big steaming pile of Poo! when it comes
    to playing a game where what your trying to hit is a person with a plastic pellet
    thats under 60m and realistically 20m (I could be proved wrong yet though :D )

The red or green dots (airsoft) are not crisp to look at, so you dont get a focused actual bright dot! in bright day light for a lot of them. Some are better than others, its hit and miss even if its the same brands.

Any Eotech like fancy Sh-one-te that projects a very cool lovely
    reticle onto a piece of glass look lovely but they have one MAJOR drawback if you were to attempt to mount the airsoft version to a real gun..............

They have this horrible tendency to turn themselves OFF
    with a bit of recoil or even if you tap them or give them a slap of the hand. Some people have told me this was intentional so they could not be used on real firearms so the recoil would switch them off, but that sounds like porky pies to me and more to do with el-cheapo Chinese knock offs.

~B

bullets wrote: »
    for a real firearm when a standard illuminated scope would do for anything needing

Yes unknown to you, they have there uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

Hi all,

I have a ruger 10/22 carbine and I'm looking to get a reasonable quality red dot sight for it, nothing over kill, just sufficient for a .22 that will hold its zero. Is there anywhere in Ireland that sell them? All my searches so far have just turned up poor quality ones for airsoft etc. Any help and advise would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    have a look at www.msscountry.com they have a holosight in there catalogue,they are based in bray/greystones co wicklow hope its what you were looking for :)

have a look at www.msscountry.com they have a holosight in there catalogue,they are based in bray/greystones co wicklow hope its what you were looking for :)

Great find :)

Bottom left corner of page 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I can well imagine there usefulness on running deer and foxes to be honest. A lot more open a field of view than any classic scope.

bullets wrote: »

Airsoft red-dots are pretty crap to be honest even when it
    comes to playing the game. (have not got a clue how they hold a zero)
    Skirmishers would probably have my head on a platter and will want
    to crucify me but personally I reckon its more of a Walter Mitty thing for looks and pretending to play solider than something practical or useful and in reality they are a big steaming pile of Poo! when it comes
    to playing a game where what your trying to hit is a person with a plastic pellet
    thats under 60m and realistically 20m (I could be proved wrong yet though :D )

The red or green dots (airsoft) are not crisp to look at, so you dont get a focused actual bright dot! in bright day light for a lot of them. Some are better than others, its hit and miss even if its the same brands.

Any Eotech like fancy Sh-one-te that projects a very cool lovely
    reticle onto a piece of glass look lovely but they have one MAJOR drawback if you were to attempt to mount the airsoft version to a real gun..............

They have this horrible tendency to turn themselves OFF
    with a bit of recoil or even if you tap them or give them a slap of the hand. Some people have told me this was intentional so they could not be used on real firearms so the recoil would switch them off, but that sounds like porky pies to me and more to do with el-cheapo Chinese knock offs.

~B

I dont play airsoft and have no intention of ever playing it. A genuine Eotech or Aimpoint will hold it zero even with large center fire rifles, thats what they are designed for. As I said they are a bit too pricey for me! With an MOA of three or less, if possible in my price range, a red dot sight would suit would suit me down to the ground. I have scopes, a Schmidt and Bender 8x56, which in my opinion is over kill for a 22, I dont need any magnification out to 120m, what i'm looking for is parallax free, quick target acquisition especially in low-light conditions. :)

Great find :)

Bottom left corner of page 9

Cheers man, the hunt continues, I'll give them a bell about the holo sight, may not be exactly what i'm looking for, they are supposed to be prone to parallax distortion :)

I dont play airsoft and have no intention of ever playing it.:)
    Always good to hear.... Us "real steel guys" are too hardcore for them :P:P:P
    Cheers man, the hunt continues, I'll give them a bell about the holo sight, may not be exactly what i'm looking for, they are supposed to be prone to parallax distortion :)

Unfortunatly you get what you pay for so distortion will be a problem unless you upgrade.

While on the cheapside again try this..... http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27251/Product/OPEN_RED_DOT_SIGHT

not the $414 sight but the $85 sight " Multi-Reticle/Dual Color (MR/DC) model delivers maximum versatility with four different reticle settings: 10 MOA dot, 15 MOA peep, 3 MOA center dot, and standard crosshair. Offers dual-color, red or green illumination with five brightness settings in both colors. Precise 1 MOA click adjustments for windage and elevation. Does not feature automatic brightness control."

Something like that could tie you over as you save up for something more substantial like .... http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27077/Product/EOLAD_1V_LASER_HOLOGRAPHIC_SIGHT_SYSTEM

Hahaha... id love that !

Ive got to admit though the Strikefire looks to be a better scope/design and idea than the reddot. Either way keep us informed/undated. Better still.. when you pick one, write a review for the next guy whos wonderin about the same thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Always good to hear.... Us "real steel guys" are too hardcore for them :P:P:P

Am I an "Us" or a "Them" ? :D

Proud Owner of a CZ452 Varmint in HMR with some lovely Leupold glass and a Bettinsoli Diamond O/U,

Collecting Airsoft gear suits me as I could not be arsed having to deal with the gardai trying to collect de-acts
    getting letters of permission for each and every one of them and having to justify wanting one only because you do and we saw what happened to Chem!
    (With that said I'd have a lovely F-Class rifle by now if I had not spend so much on airsoft)

Dont worry I was not trying to convert ye fine folk or anything! the intention of my post was to say why I thought an airsoft red-dot or eotech would NOT suit a firearm.

Would not want the OP to waste 80-100 Euros buying something like an airsoft Eotech, trying it on his .22 and finding the thing kept switching off.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

dont docter make one so any dealer who has docter scopes could surely get one in for you

ormondprop wrote: »
    dont docter make one so any dealer who has docter scopes could surely get one in for you

They're also a wee bit pricey, well the only dealer i've got a quote from is the guy in the butter slip in kilkenny and it was 600 for a docter! Way out of my price range! Parallax is supposed to only be prone to certain configurations. The bushnell trs 25 is looking good, parallax free and has a MOA of 3, not ideal but its supposed to give bang for your buck!

What do you all think?

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_bushnell_tsr-25_red_dot.php

If I was buying a scope, a decent one, I would never consider Bushnell, but I think this is a good as I'll get for 100 squids. Plus its only for a 22, NightForce all the way for a decent centerfire! All I have to do is find a dealer/or a site to import it!
    On another side note, considering the way the gun regulations are forever changing the last few years, whats the odds of licencing this?

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14TargetRifle/models.html

(Wouldn't be putting a Nightforce on it ha!) :)

They're also a wee bit pricey, well the only dealer i've got a quote from is the guy in the butter slip in kilkenny and it was 600 for a docter! Way out of my price range! Parallax is supposed to only be prone to certain configurations. The bushnell trs 25 is looking good, parallax free and has a MOA of 3, not ideal but its supposed to give bang for your buck!

What do you all think?

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_bushnell_tsr-25_red_dot.php

If I was buying a scope, a decent one, I would never consider Bushnell, but I think this is a good as I'll get for 100 squids. Plus its only for a 22, NightForce all the way for a decent centerfire! All I have to do is find a dealer/or a site to import it!
    On another side note, considering the way the gun regulations are forever changing the last few years, whats the odds of licencing this?

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14TargetRifle/models.html

(Wouldn't be putting a Nightforce on it ha!) :)

Jeasus :eek::eek::eek:... its amazing how $400 USD becomes €600 !!

For that money id have sold you my Aimpoint thats parallax free and can take a magnifier... that doctor doesnt have made for it.

That Bushnell is a pretty decent price for what its claiming to do. I had a flick through the review .. for a 2 year warrenty id pick it up if I had a .22 that needed a cheap red dot. remember ... itll tie you over while you save for something better (or maybe itll completely suit your needs). I had a look on the Bushnell site .. they have dealers in the republic but they all golf shops, it would be worth ringin about the place to see if they will get it for you ... or google shops in the US that have it and perhaps theyll send it.

The odds of licencing a Mini 14 very much in your favour ! I think the hardest part would be actually getting 1. Ive seen a few in europe (not the target model though) but the dealers werent perpared to send to Ireland ( i was selling a semi .223 and was considering a mini14 among others) unless I was buying 5 or more. When tuned they are a tacdriver of a semi auto, not so much in standard form.

Good news is that brownells have the TRS 25 in stock, they ship international and they dont seem to have any restrictions on this scope.

Bad news is that its not $100 its $227 (the reviewer bought his in a sale)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27372/Product/TROPHY_reg__RIFLESCOPE_1x25mm_3_MOA_RED_DOT_RETICLE__MATTE_FINISH

Lets say $287 (estimate $60 shipping) that converts to €205.71 and youll be caught for VAT.... @ 21% (VAT will include shipping too) is another €43.20 total €248.91

• Advertisement

More good news.... What i linked was the upgraded TRS @ $227. I didnt see this.....

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31841/Product/TROPHY_TRS_25_RED_DOT_SIGHT

This is what you were looking at and its $147.95.

It would work out as about €175 including shipping and vat.

Advertisement