Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old street names in Cork

Options
  • 04-03-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

After a very long search I have finally got my hands on the marriage cert of my great grandfather and great grandmother who got married in 1902.

Would anyone be able to help me in identifying a street/area called Catherine/Catherines Square which quite possibly is in the northside of Cork.

Many thanks in advance,

Kilsmum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I dont see a Catherine Square in Cork city on the census or maps, but there is a Catherine Street - see the OSI maps at : http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,567666,571653,7,3

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Thanks so much Shane - from all my research I have discovered not to rely on the written word - I really appreciate your input and help.

Kilsmum

Shane, I dont know how to use the OSI Map.

I found a St. Catherines Place in the Cork No. 4 Urban DED for the 1901 Census can you possibly tell me how I can find it on the map?

Thanks very much in advance,

Kilsmum

The electoral districts (DED) are not marked on the OSI maps, but you can sometimes narrow down the right area by looking for other streets in the same district on the census. Often some of the major streets still exist so they can be found as a starting point on current google maps.

When searching for 1901 addresses use the 25" historic OSI map, as they date from around 1890 and are likely to show the same streets.

Some of the very small streets are not captioned on the OSI maps.

Shane

Thanks very much Shane - I really appreciate your advice.

Paula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Kilsmum
    have you looked at the Guys City Directories for your ggrandfather?
    They are available in City Library & also in the Local Studies department of county library, Carrigrohane Rd. They list all the residents in the city & most have an alphabetical index. They are indexed by individual & by street. Some are available on the City Library website http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie but the range in the library is greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Looking at the Goad maps on Cork Past and Present there is no Catherine Square listed in the early 1900s in Cork but there is a Catherine Street off Charlotte Quay. This seems to be the narrow street just past the College of Commerce.

Wyldwood,

I have already gone down the road of the Guys City Directory.

I could only get from 1907 onwards in the City Library they are not available in the County or Boole library. I think the genealogy centre in Mallow might have a copy of it so thats work for another day.

I also have an appointment the week after next to go to the Cork City & County archives department in Great William O'Brien Street to have a look at the rates and valuation books for the time period that I think my great grandfather was alive.

The only information I am certain of is that he was alive in 1904 after that its a complete mystery.

Shane thanks for your suggestion about the maps - I will keep on plugging away and hopefully something will eventually turn up.

Thanks again for all the help - it really is very much appreciated:):)

Cheers

Paula

Wyldwood,

Thanks for the suggestion about Catherine Street - Shane had pointed it out on the OSI map.

When I saw the original entry in the North Cathedral what I thought I saw was St. or 5 Catherines Square - to be absolutely certain of the detail Im going to go back again and have another look.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Paula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 JohnDOMahony

Hi Paula,

You may not still be interested but I was searching myself for info on St. catherines Square. You may already know but it (was) on the Northside not far from the North Cathedral. I lived there until 1968.

Regards,

John

John l never found anymore information on it - could you tell me where it is on a modern day map? l wouldn't be hugely familiar with the north side of the city.

It's great news that there was such a place!

Regards,

Paula ☺

Hi Paula,

If you Google Neptune Stadium and open its Facebook page open the map on the right.
    (This forum would not allow me add the URL to this post - sorry)

Essentially St Catherines Square was in the middle of the area occupied by the stadium now. There were 2 other rows of houses to the north of the square.

The stadium was build in 1985. We moved in 1968 so if you could find a map of that area around that time it would show it exactly.

We lived in number 10. My mother, who passed away 2 years ago, absolutely loved the place and the neighbors. I came across some old family photos yesterday, hence the nostalgia.

Regards,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

I thought that I was going to be able to help Paula here as I have a map of Cork City from the mid 60s. However I just pulled it out and the index of streets is missing and most of those little roads are shown by numbers so it is no good without the index.

If you want to PM email addresses I would be happy to scan that area so that johnd could circle it and send onto Paula. I can also scan and attach here if allowed.

On a side-note the map was part of my father's possessions when we cleaned out his house after he passed away. Interesting to see how much the city has grown in 50 years. Not surprising, obviously, but it still took me back to see how small some of the suburbs were at that time

There are some good maps of Cork city on the CorkPastandPresent website including one from 1951, and another from 1964. I had a quick look on the index included with these, no sign of a St. Catherine's Sq., but there is a St. Catherine's place shown near the location mentioned...

Hi Shane,

Thanks for that. Found the 1964 map and can mark out St. Catherines Square. I reckon St. Catherines place may have been the row of houses before the square as these would have not have been in a square. The little area at the end of the dog leg is the square. There was only about 15 houses in all. They were actually owned by the North Monastery school.

I have circled the area and will send to Paula somehow.

Thanks again,

John

Hi WHL,

Thanks for reply. As I said to Shane I found it on a 1964 map. On this it is marked as number 16. St. Catherines Place was the row of houses leading into the square at the end.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Paula,

I have an image (.PNG) of a 1964 map of the area with the square shown with a red arrow. I am not sure how to send it to you or the etiquette of passing email addresses along.

No worries if you would rather not.

John

John - sent you a pm there - Paula

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

I have a 1904 Guys Cork directory, if its any help just PM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bridgetwalshie

I know this is an old thread, but other people may find it.

the OSI now have historical maps online, and a map viewer (google "OSI Map Viewer - Ordnance Survey Ireland")

You can merge old and current maps of the same place, like putting tracing paper on and off a map. Click on "help" on the map page for a good explanation on how to use it.

So you'll be able to see the old map of St. Catherine's Square and an outline of Neptune stadium over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 donnachadelong

I can't post links yet, but I've just found a birth cert that appears to give St. Catherine's Square as an address Arthur Hawe, 1898 on Irish Genealogy.

Also found a page on the Cork Heritage site about Neptune Stadium, which is apparently built on the site of Catherine's Square.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hi donnachadelong - welcome to Boards.

If you haven't done so already take a moment to read the charter.

And please don't drag up old threads.

Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement