Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

pilot1087 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

no problem, and remember when buying any car from any dealer, don't mind the list price they give you for the new car or what they give you for your trade in, FOCUS on the cost to change from your own car to the new car ......this will give the real indication of the value of the deal you are getting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bluemoon_20

Hi. bought a car from a dealer. he said he filled out the necessary forms, gave me part C of the transfer of ownership, which i have on my windscreen to say i bought the car. he did not give me a copy of the tax book. im suspicious as the sale was made 2 weeks ago and he said he did not post it off till 8 days later. i think he is behaving rather strangely as it is an extremely straightforward thing to do-post a form off. he told me it was posted , yet he delayed so long it will most likely be delayed in the xmas post. (nightmare)in the meantime im in a sticky wicket as i cannot tax the car.
    why would a dealer not post off a tax book or delay its posting?
    hope someone can give me a little advice on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Did you check on Motortax.ie > Vehicle Transaction enquiry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Hi. bought a car from a dealer. he said he filled out the necessary forms, gave me part C of the transfer of ownership, which i have on my windscreen to say i bought the car. he did not give me a copy of the tax book. im suspicious as the sale was made 2 weeks ago and he said he did not post it off till 8 days later. i think he is behaving rather strangely as it is an extremely straightforward thing to do-post a form off. he told me it was posted , yet he delayed so long it will most likely be delayed in the xmas post. (nightmare)in the meantime im in a sticky wicket as i cannot tax the car.
    why would a dealer not post off a tax book or delay its posting?
    hope someone can give me a little advice on this!

Brown book?

dgt wrote: »

Brown book?

No it a detachable piece at the end of actually transfer of ownership form not the logbook. On mobile so can't link. Used by Dealers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

No it a detachable piece at the end of actually transfer of ownership form not the logbook. On mobile so can't link. Used by Dealers

Was thinking the RF200 form myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bluemoon_20

Did you check on Motortax.ie > Vehicle Transaction enquiry?

yes i did check.. no show....how long does it take to show up online?
    im hoping that might be updated before its sent back to me , but not holding my breath!
    so cheesed off as i did nothing wrong, all depends on whether a dealer prompt enough. he didnt do it online which delays things even more..

yes i did check.. no show....how long does it take to show up online?.

Not very long...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Willie_Power

Advice please, Looking at buying a 1.5 2004 Nissan Almera, anyone have good or bad experience of this car, its the 5 door version. Any advice or comments appreciated

Advice please, Looking at buying a 1.5 2004 Nissan Almera, anyone have good or bad experience of this car, its the 5 door version. Any advice or comments appreciated

make sure the timing chain is not rattling in it, so try and start it from cold......ask the seller not to run the car before you go to view it.

then, do all the usual checks .....but (boring) a 2 b cheap motoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Willie_Power

Thanks for the advice Midlands, the chain was just changed on it according to the seller, any idea how many miles between chain changes?

As long as I get from A to B on time without it costing a fortune, I don't really care how boring it is to be honest

good, ask the seller to see paperwork to back up his claim the chain was changed......to be honest, you could be lucky and never have to change the chain ever again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gotdaforce

Hi everyone im new to all this... I just sold an audi a4 tdi imola red 2003 110k miles for €5000 which i think is a resonable price even tho most similar audis are priced at about 5500-6900. Im looking at an bmw 318ci 2004 65k miles (which seems to be very low for its age) its very clean but hes lookn for 7250 and dropped price to 6500 which i still find over priced or am i wrong?? Whats a resonable price for this car??

God no.

My cousin had an absolute mint, proper M spec with a FSH, all the bells and whilst, test tyres tax etc. And over a year ago he struggled to her just over 4k for it. It was a 03.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Mad money for a 10 year old petrol car!

If it has good spec ie. leathers multifunction steering wheel ect then its worth about 5 to 5500 imo if even shop around hundreds of cars out there.

Thanks alot lads... I knew it was overpriced. Althought it has a really nice spec Like imola red m sport, multifuctional steering wheel bbs lm 19'' bi xenon but no leather. And mileage seems really low for an 2004....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Gotdaforce wrote: »
    Thanks alot lads... I knew it was overpriced. Althought it has a really nice spec Like imola red m sport, multifuctional steering wheel bbs lm 19'' bi xenon but no leather. And mileage seems really low for an 2004....

Could be clocked though run a check,no leather is a big haggling tool,

Get a mechanic to look at it if you decide to buy it,try even go out with cash what ever you think its worth say 5 or so and say here Ill give you the cash now or ill go elsewhere see if they take it.

SRFC wrote: »

Could be clocked though run a check,no leather is a big haggling tool,

Get a mechanic to look at it if you decide to buy it,try even go out with cash what ever you think its worth say 5 or so and say here Ill give you the cash now or ill go elsewhere see if they take it.

Was thinking that too... Where can i run a check i only know cartell.ie and i think you need to be a member for thst?!

If you type imola red into done deal there's a 2.2 with leather for 2k less and nearly the same mileage.

The replica Lms don't add 2 grand to the value of the car, although it does look nice.

If you type imola red into done deal there's a 2.2 with leather for 2k less and nearly the same mileage.

The replica Lms don't add 2 grand to the value of the car, although it does look nice.

The one for 5800 with sligo reg?? True the bbs are cheap reps which ye can buy new for less than 800. Im goin to see the car tomorow and im goin to bring cash with me and ill see what he says:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I am (reluctantly) selling my car and just wondered if I could get a bit of advice on price etc. Its a 2004 Renault Megane 1.4 Dynamique. I bought it in 2007, so it was only 3 years old then with one previous female owner and the mileage was very low when I bought (can't quite remember what it was though). It is now at 34250 miles, so still very low for a 2004 car! I really only use for town driving/work etc.
    I had a good bit of servicing done on it this year, timing belt, water pump and starter motor. Car is in pretty good condition externally, apart from a few scratches and there is a very small dent in back passenger door where someone tipped off it in a car park! I haven't had the cash to get it repaired.
    What do you think I could ask for it? what is the lowest I should accept? NCT is Jan 2014.

Don't want to sell it, but need to cut back on costs and just go back to a 1 car sharing with husband. No kids yet, so we will manage for now! Any advice appreciated.

Put it up for 3250 and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I am (reluctantly) selling my car and just wondered if I could get a bit of advice on price etc. Its a 2004 Renault Megane 1.4 Dynamique. I bought it in 2007, so it was only 3 years old then with one previous female owner and the mileage was very low when I bought (can't quite remember what it was though). It is now at 34250 miles, so still very low for a 2004 car! I really only use for town driving/work etc.
    I had a good bit of servicing done on it this year, timing belt, water pump and starter motor. Car is in pretty good condition externally, apart from a few scratches and there is a very small dent in back passenger door where someone tipped off it in a car park! I haven't had the cash to get it repaired.
    What do you think I could ask for it? what is the lowest I should accept? NCT is Jan 2014.

Don't want to sell it, but need to cut back on costs and just go back to a 1 car sharing with husband. No kids yet, so we will manage for now! Any advice appreciated.
    Saloon will sell for 2250
    5 door 2750

3250 is way too strong for a 9 year old Megane, regardless of miles.

oregano wrote: »
    Saloon will sell for 2250
    5 door 2750

3250 is way too strong for a 9 year old Megane, regardless of miles.

Nah, its still a 04 car with low miles. The lower the you ask the lower you get, not a huge difference between 2750 and 3250.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Hi, looking for some advice. GF looking for a petrol focus. 1.4 and with 5 doors, black if possible.

If the engine good, MPG and what should we expect to pay for a 07.

Lastly, would it be worth thte extra to get the newer model (08) I think? I knoe tax might be cheaper, but otherwise is there any good reason to go for the 08.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Nah, its still a 04 car with low miles. The lower the you ask the lower you get, not a huge difference between 2750 and 3250.

thanks for your advice. I did put it up for €3k, so do you think I should up it a little & then my bottom line could be €3k?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

thanks for your advice. I did put it up for €3k, so do you think I should up it a little & then my bottom line could be €3k?

Always ask a little more than you want, but if its already up for 3k leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

In the market for a car with a budget of about 5k, possibly stretch to 6k. Want something reasonably fun to drive and with enough room for a wife and kids :pac: Just had to give back my Audi A4 (availing of the half-way rule) so kinda want to keep to a car of decent quality if possible, prob asking a lot though with my budget. Anyway, been considering the RX8 as I like the look of them and seem to sell cheap enough - has anyone here got any experience of them? I read Mazda had to do a recall of cars around 2004-2006 due to some engine issues so I need to consider that while shopping about, especially considering thats the year range my budget falls into.

If it's for the fun factor, you'll be hard bet with the Rx-8. bought one myself back during the summer. I'm sure you've heard the horror about the fuel economy and the oil consumption. Whereas the fuel economy is quite bad (mine goes between 14-22mpg, depending how I drive it) so if that was a concern to you, then you should avoid it! The oil consumption isn't nearly as bad as some people make out. There's also a few maintenacne costs involved with it too. If you're fairly serious about lookin at buying one, the guys at http://www.irishrotary.com/forum/phpBB3/index.php will give ya some advice! Or you could just gawk at some of the pretty cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

A mate was looking at a 05 Kia on Donedeal a few days back, but the mobile wasn't working, and then the ad was changed to sold and relisted with different phone # and name. I rang the new number today and the guy started gettin pissed off at a few basic questions, didn't want to give out address to meet later etc. So after an easy 5 mins conversation he flipped out and said not to drop out "you'll only wreck me head" . Total wackjob.

I do remember some posts on here about some ignoramus selling cars from a car park - seems to match the description :-)
    What's the deal with these guys, stolen or major problems on the car? Price and spec on the car was ok.

• Advertisement

I am showing the car to a guy on Saturday! he seems quite interested & is coming from Cork, so fingers crossed I'll get at least the €3k for it! As he's not from my area, I hope he won't mind if I pick maybe an easy place to meet him on his way into town, like Topaz garage? it wouldn't be easy for him to find my house, so was going to just suggest Topaz...at least there is CCTV if any problems!

Advertisement