Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lauras91

Went to see the car today... dodgy as, nearly drove away when we saw the 2 lads trying to flog it and the car was just a mess! holes in seats and all :( Written on engine that timing belt was done at 50,000 miles but the guy tried to convince it had been done since with no proof!! Oh well, on the look again it seems.....

Edit - you wouldn't go near a golf, i'm guessing you wouldnt consider a polo then?? ha

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

lauras91 wrote: »
    Went to see the car today... dodgy as, nearly drove away when we saw the 2 lads trying to flog it and the car was just a mess! holes in seats and all :( Written on engine that timing belt was done at 50,000 miles but the guy tried to convince it had been done since with no proof!! Oh well, on the look again it seems.....

Edit - you wouldn't go near a golf, i'm guessing you wouldnt consider a polo then?? ha

Ah jaysus lads, Whats wrong with a golf?
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

From 00-01 i would yeah, good cars. Bits and piece can be dear, the spec would be alot less than Clio but less spec = more reliable!

Pity that Clio was a crapper, but the only way to know is to go and see them. TBh the timing belt was more than likely done, there's no way it would of lasted 90,000 miles and not have broken.

Looking at at 01 3door 1litre polo from a dealer at home, asking price was 1950.. instantly said he'd drop it to 1500.. I've always like polos, this is a tidy little one but even at 1500 its a bit much, mileage is over 100k, nct til November. I am just being a typical stingy Cavan women or is that a fair price?

Looking at at 01 3door 1litre polo from a dealer at home, asking price was 1950.. instantly said he'd drop it to 1500.. I've always like polos, this is a tidy little one but even at 1500 its a bit much, mileage is over 100k, nct til November. I am just being a typical stingy Cavan women or is that a fair price?

Seems fair for a 01 Polo alright. Chance him at €13 or €1400 and see how it goes. You can really go too far wrong.

• Advertisement

heres the link for the polo Wouldn't want to come across to cheeky on the offer, he's already knocked 450 off! http://mitsubishi.bradyscavan.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=4813304438639770

Just came across this on donedeal...http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3151441 Seriously cheap for the year..... :eek:

Seems a grand little Polo. You would be surprised with those Corsa's, they wouldn't be a great seller at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

Would buying an ex taxi be a bad idea? Looking at car on dondeal. Just sold my first car and looking for something cheap 3000 would be my max could possibly go to 4000

shot2go wrote: »
    Would buying an ex taxi be a bad idea? Looking at car on dondeal. Just sold my first car and looking for something cheap 3000 would be my max could possibly go to 4000

Depends on the driver. People say they're best minded cars, in my eyes most of them were left until something went wrong and especially in the last few years since "money was tight".

Also, remember very few people will buy one off you again.

if you're asking me would i spend 3 grand on a taxi, i would if the car was right and i planned on running it into the ground, and no if i wanted it to be saleable in the next year or so.

he has it on done-deal at 2999 very little info on the ad, mileage is 200000 miles.
    got brother in law to ring and he dropped price by 500 almost straight away, he said he buys them and sells them, goggled the pone number and lots off ads came up from him. im waiting on forms to get the vrt back on a new car or imported older car for disabled passenger, only want something cheap to keep me going.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

shot2go wrote: »

I remember a German taxi driver telling me "we do 300000 km, then the engine gets rebuilt, then we do another 300000 km".
    To me a taxi is a car that has earned it's money ten times over and is being sold because it's falling apart, is beyond economic maintenance, will have intergalactic mileage on it and is likely snort it's last very soon.
    I would buy ex-rental, ex-fleet and ex-cop car before I'd buy ex-taxi.
    I think I'd buy from the scrapyard before I'd by ex-taxi.

What car would Ye recommend? I need something with big boot and room in back, little lad wears splints on his legs so needs legroom. I'm used to driving a small yaris so id say I'm in for shock! I like the avensis and I'm impressed how little my yaris went down in value in 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭tom23

howdy campers,

was looking at this, what do you reckon? Paranoid to bits buy car as we are smashed broke and are breakign the bank to get a seven seater... cheers folks.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Grand-Scenic/1.4diese/4813303826679150/advert?channel=CARS

tom23 wrote: »
    howdy campers,

was looking at this, what do you reckon? Paranoid to bits buy car as we are smashed broke and are breakign the bank to get a seven seater... cheers folks.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Grand-Scenic/1.4diese/4813303826679150/advert?channel=CARS

Looks good in the add anyway, the fact it's 07 doesn't mean it's on the "cheap, emissions based" tax, but it's still cheap tax as a 1.4.

i'd be a bit skeptical about the wording in the add, it's a bit of an over kill but it would be no harm to go and view it. Just make sure it's not on UK plates and that price includes VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It should be 1.5 diesel, still cheap tax, but

Uk import + no service history (mentioned) = handle with care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Looks good in the add anyway, the fact it's 07 doesn't mean it's on the "cheap, emissions based" tax, but it's still cheap tax as a 1.4.

i'd be a bit skeptical about the wording in the add, it's a bit of an over kill but it would be no harm to go and view it. Just make sure it's not on UK plates and that price includes VRT.

It has an NCT do it has to be on Irish plates doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You would think so but stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭tom23

thanks folks for all the replies. I have asked for the reg plate and I will do a full cartell check on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Thinking of selling my car as I really dont have much use for it these days and I'm looking to get an idea of how much I can expect to get for it.
    Its a 06 BMW 318i with 98k KM on the clock. Full service history.
    It's silver with the cream leather interior and in great condition.
    1 previous owner and I've kept it well since I bought it in Oct 2009.
    4 brand new tyres put on in January and the alloys themselves are not the boring standard ones you get with the car.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

dh has a good distance to drive every day. he has a petrol car and needs to change to a diesel. we were looking at skoda ocavias, but for our budget, they are hard to come by. thinking of a citreon berlingo van, however I know nothing about vans. whats the doe, are tax and insurance much the same price, is it better on diesel than a diesel car? only have a budget of €2,500, or €3,000 if they take a trade in. as long as its diesel, the world is our oyster. mainly, its getting the best we can for that money that is cheap to run.any advise appreciated.

• Advertisement

Cal04 wrote: »
    dh has a good distance to drive every day. he has a petrol car and needs to change to a diesel. we were looking at skoda ocavias, but for our budget, they are hard to come by. thinking of a citreon berlingo van, however I know nothing about vans. whats the doe, are tax and insurance much the same price, is it better on diesel than a diesel car? only have a budget of €2,500, or €3,000 if they take a trade in. as long as its diesel, the world is our oyster. mainly, its getting the best we can for that money that is cheap to run.any advise appreciated.

if you don't own as business, don't buy a van. Simple.

Cars, it depends. Diesel Octavias (good ones) are hard to come by, you'll just have to keep an eye on donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

if you don't own as business, don't buy a van. Simple.

Cars, it depends. Diesel Octavias (good ones) are hard to come by, you'll just have to keep an eye on donedeal.

any other good diesel car you could recommend please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Laurel67000

Excellent LimerickMan, thanks for this!
    Anyone got any ideas on how to deal with the warranty in the garage? I bought a sencond hand car from a garage with a 6 month warranty, but they are doing everything they can to avoid any work on it. Do I just stand my ground and insist do they do the work I want done on it? Do I threaten to return the car - can I even do that? They are causing so much stress and I can't even enjoy the new car!

Anyone got any ideas on how to deal with the warranty in the garage? I bought a sencond hand car from a garage with a 6 month warranty, but they are doing everything they can to avoid any work on it. Do I just stand my ground and insist do they do the work I want done on it? Do I threaten to return the car - can I even do that? They are causing so much stress and I can't even enjoy the new car!

What is the work? It mightnt be covered by warranty. What does the warranty say?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

You might want to check consumer issues I remember something about handing back cars bought from dealers if within a couple of months of purchase.

What type of warranty did you get and what's wrong with the car now?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    What is the work? It mightnt be covered by warranty. What does the warranty say?

I do not have it to hand right now, but the clutch is starting to go, I only have it 3 weeks, and also there is a gap between the dashboard and the windscreen, which they tried to fix but is not correct. They seem to feel that because I already had that fixed that they won't look at it again. I know the clutch is an expensive job, but they are saying it is normal, but it is very heavy and giving me pains in my leg.

I will look into that, thanks

I do not have it to hand right now, but the clutch is starting to go, I only have it 3 weeks, and also there is a gap between the dashboard and the windscreen, which they tried to fix but is not correct. They seem to feel that because I already had that fixed that they won't look at it again. I know the clutch is an expensive job, but they are saying it is normal, but it is very heavy and giving me pains in my leg.

They probably won't touch the clutch as its a wear and tear, and no offense, but you could easily of ruined that by now (not saying you did), but the gap in windscreen they will have to finish. They have already accepted responsibility by attempting to fix it the first time.

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    They probably won't touch the clutch as its a wear and tear, and no offense, but you could easily of ruined that by now (not saying you did), but the gap in windscreen they will have to finish. They have already accepted responsibility by attempting to fix it the first time.

I see what you mean... Well hopefully whan I get it back tomorrow, they will have fixed what I asked them to and we shall see about the clutch! To be honest I didnt know why my leg was sore at first, as I changed from petrol to diesel, then I was informed they should feel the same to drive. Is that true?

Advertisement