Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Merc C200

I'd have thought it has to have history somewhere, so I spoke to the first garage on the service book who did it at 74k, and he said he remembered it because it was such a clean car for its age :confused: He only serviced it once (Merc Main Dealer)

I asked the garage to contact the previous owner for any history he may have and am awaiting a call back.

Did you ring the main Dealers in Dublin and ask them to type that reg into their system and see does any service history come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Thanks LimerickMan!

It is a 2003, spoke to the dealer (PT) that imported it from UK in 2004. He was able to tell me the next owner, *****, had it to 2006, then an accountant to 2009. I spoke to the last owner who had it from 2009.

PT reckons the ***** has a relative in the industry who did his servicing, thus the probable reason the book wasn't stamped. PT took it as trade in and sold again in 2006. It was traded in again to PT in 2009, who sold it to the last owner who got the book stamped.

The last owner had to have replaced:
    Indicator switch
    Ignition coil
    Lambda sensor.

I assumed it was a UK import alright, we didn't get many Classics over here with Auto, leather and alloys!

If you could do a bit more digging to find a bit more service history, and also it may be worthwhile to do a history check on the likes of cartell.ie or motorcheck.ie just to be sure it was in no prangs in it's, albeit short, life in the Uk.

Also, just a thought.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2403511

You could buy alot of leather for €2000

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Great guide! Just a quick question. What if when your doing a check on motartax.ie and this result came out "most recent vehicle Reg. Certificate was issued on 10/9/11" and at the top it says no changes notified in the last3 months". Hoping for you kind reply. --thanks lads!

• Advertisement

Great guide! Just a quick question. What if when your doing a check on motartax.ie and this result came out "most recent vehicle Reg. Certificate was issued on 10/9/11" and at the top it says no changes notified in the last3 months". Hoping for you kind reply. --thanks lads!

Basically means the owner lost the logbook and applied for a new one :)

(Could also mean that someone in the trade applied for a new one)

Hi guys, looking for someone with more information than myself to give me an idea of what to check when I view these cars this week. Just moved to the UK, and need to get a car for work soon, but the budget isn't huge. Need a car that's going to last me 18/36 months without much hassle, but would like one that is comfortable and that I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen in.

Any opinions / anecdotes / on either make or model would be appreciated. The astra looks to be in phenomenal nick and has been well minded too.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/2002-alfa-romeo-147-16-ts-3dr/89418323#gallery-item-full-9

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vauxhall-astra-coupe-bertone-18-16v-full-leather-fsh-49k-miles-full-mot-possible-px/89401886

Thanks

If you were set on either one of those I'd probably pick the Opel. Not mad one the way they drive and they're very Astra-ey on the inside, I wouldn't pay a premium for one.

If you're looking for hassle free, stay away from the Alfa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm very close to deciding to purchase a 2011 Skoda Superb from a Skoda dealer. It's a demo model and has everything I need inside and comes with floor mats. He'll extend the warranty a few months so I should get something like 16 months warranty.

Other than that, I'm just interested to hear of any suggestions for sweeteners to ask for to seal the deal. It'll be valeted and serviced before I take it and he can put mud flaps on, though I'm not sure what the consensus is on those - do they ruin the aesthetics or are they worth it?

Anyways, any ideas on things like that to ask for which are generally considered reasonable would be much appreciated.

It depends on what you want, generally if the car is what you want, a tank of diesel is generally a dealer sweetener!

Mudflaps would be personal opinion, but generally unless they're hughe they do sweet fa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭tommyjin83

Hi Limerick man,

Great post there you have. I am actually looking for my first car, and have came across this http://www.carzone.ie/search/Rover/StreetWise/SPORT-1./131557337655387/advert?channel=CARS
    As this is my first time buying a car, i was wondering if i could get some advice from you? I heard that this car has ceased production so repairs in the future might be expensive.

Cheers

Repairs won't be expensive, there are plenty of parts about for them and there always will be!

Looks cool, low mileage. Just make sure you get at least a 6 month warranty (I'd have no problem paying the asking price for this)

Hi Limerick Man! I have been seriously following this thread as you have mentioned all relevant check to perform prior to purchase. Just a quick question , if there's a website we can use to check for financial loan on a car less than 8 years old? Will a cartell check reveals it? Thanks and God bless you!

Hi Limerick Man! I have been seriously following this thread as you have mentioned all relevant check to perform prior to purchase. Just a quick question , if there's a website we can use to check for financial loan on a car less than 8 years old? Will a cartell check reveals it? Thanks and God bless you!

Have a read of this,

http://www.motorcheck.ie/faq/is-there-outstanding-finance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭JR23

Hi Guys, great posts, makes interesting reading, first post on boards and looking for some advice, looking to upgrade current BMW 316ti to something more "family" like car. I have found a 2008 passat on done deal for 8,800 euro, 78000 miles. Its a 2.0 tdi fully loaded, only thing is, is that it is a eng reg and i havent a clue where i stand with that. Any advice would be appreciated.

Heres the link http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2569955

Thanks a million Limerickman!you are a valuable asset here at boards.

JR23 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, great posts, makes interesting reading, first post on boards and looking for some advice, looking to upgrade current BMW 316ti to something more "family" like car. I have found a 2008 passat on done deal for 8,800 euro, 78000 miles. Its a 2.0 tdi fully loaded, only thing is, is that it is a eng reg and i havent a clue where i stand with that. Any advice would be appreciated.

Heres the link http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2569955

I've never imported a Uk reg car myself, but I'm sure if you asked the seller to register it for you they would. Also, technically they should be a Dealer if they're holding foreign registered cars here.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭monkeycork

can someone explain how cars reg. 1999 can have nct till mid 2013 http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2684739 for example my understanding was that cars 10 years or older needed an nct every year?

monkeycork wrote: »
    can someone explain how cars reg. 1999 can have nct till mid 2013 http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2684739 for example my understanding was that cars 10 years or older needed an nct every year?

The Law changed in June, that was obviously done before the law changed. And is correct as the NCT runs in two year intervals from the year the car was registered, 99 - 03 - 05 - 07 - 09 - 11 - 13.

The Law changed in June, that was obviously done before the law changed. And is correct as the NCT runs in two year intervals from the year the car was registered, 99 - 03 - 05 - 07 - 09 - 11 - 13.

thanks. does anyone know the previous law? eg. 1996 reg car nct'd november 2010 and nct was only for one year, expired november 2011. why is this?

• Advertisement

thanks. does anyone know the previous law? eg. 1996 reg car nct'd november 2010 and nct was only for one year, expired november 2011. why is this?

Could of been an Import, AFAIK.

Could of been an Import, AFAIK.
    It's an Irish car. :-/

It's an Irish car. :-/

Any link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 olas

Know nothing about cars and haven't bought a car in over 10 years and have some money put aside for it.Tired of having an unreliable car so would like to get a fairly new estate,low milage,not too expensive to run,and the wife would like leather seats if possible as she's tired of cleaning all the yogurt etc off the seats that the kids keep throwing around in the back! Would like low tax as HATE giving money to the tax man.Figured the avensis would be good as people say it's reliable? Saw this http://www.cbg.ie/car_detail.aspx?ID=4573769
    A little out of budget and UK reg.Would there be anything to know or look our for when buying a UK reg?I imagine if it didn't have a full service history then stay away?Anyway of checking the mileage? Sorry for all the questions. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

You could do a history check in advance on www.motorcheck.ie or www.cartell.ie, but you would need the UK reg. I assume since that is coming from a Dealer that the price of the VRT is included in the price.

You would have a warranty with the car, and if the history check cleared and you were happy with the car I can't see why it shouldn't suit. If you wanted, for extra "peace of mind" you could always bring a mechanic with you to check the car structurally for any signs of new paintwork, previous damage etc.

Thanks Limerick Man. Yep VRT is included. I presume service history would be a must? What sort of warranty should I expect? Any opinion on Avensis or other estate? It seems like a decent price for that year/spec? Thanks for the free advice. Very decent of you.

olas wrote: »
    Thanks Limerick Man. Yep VRT is included. I presume service history would be a must? What sort of warranty should I expect? Any opinion on Avensis or other estate? It seems like a decent price for that year/spec? Thanks for the free advice. Very decent of you.

To be honest, If it was me buying a new estate I'd be buying a Skoda Superb, but I don't think you'd get one in budget. The Avensis are a fine car, other options would be the Opel Insignia, and the obvious ones like a Mondeo or Passat. Drive all of them are see which you prefer.

History is a must with a new car like that, if it doesn't have it you'll find another.

And what sort of warranty should I be getting?? Limerick man, genuinely thanks again for you time on this.

olas wrote: »
    And what sort of warranty should I be getting?? Limerick man, genuinely thanks again for you time on this.

That depends on the Dealer really. Some might offer you a year, some might not.

6 months - 9 months would be fairly acceptable, I wouldn't accept three. Price one in a Main Toyota dealer, they might be inclined to offer you a longer warranty. Also, any Toyota dealer should be willing to "source" one for you.

It's also not about the length of the warranty, it's about the type. Some will give you a full, bumper to bumper, everything included warranty. And some with give you a 6 months "engine and gearbox" warranty which would just cover any major engine/gearbox related faults. On such a new car I'd be looking for a full warranty, but remember to ask the seller about this and get it comfirmed in writing.

Also, what kind of mileage to do you roughly per year?

• Advertisement

We do about 12k per year, mostly on country roads, but also motorway miles from the west up to Dublin once a month. The cartell checks etc have different options, any opinion on these? Is it worth getting the full check as I doubt I could bring a mechanic with me. Especially considering I know nothing about cars. Sorry, am starting to feel I am abusing your time!

Advertisement