Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭rrs

It's on him yeah, he has a backroom too, so they should be seeing it if he can't..

If Daire Madden fills out he can be a decent player. Still very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

A bit harsh towards Lovett there myles? It's been a terrible year for the U20s and Lovett has been double and triple marked in every single game and acquitted himself very well overall. I think he's currently better than at least 2 of the inside forward options on the senior squad, that may be as much of an indictment of our senior options than anything but it's not fair to call it hype either.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I wasn't being critical of him, I'm being critical of fellas hyping him up. He looked a better player 2 years ago. Maybe all the talk and expectation is getting to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

Teams are aware of him as it's his 3rd year with the U20s. But some of the passing by Cavan in the games has been terrible,which hasn't helped. High balls into a small corner forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 bos247

That was a good team on paper tonight. They deserve a bit more in terms of coaching and tactically awareness.

Maybe people might respect Damo Donoghues body of work for the last 3 years now.

Saying the hype has gone to his head is criticism IMO.

Personally, I think he has improved a lot in those 2 years. His shot selection and execution, while still not top drawer, has been much better. He's also shown more bravery and leadership as he's matured. I'd be pretty happy with where he's at as a Cavan supporter.

Not hanging on to Donohoe looks like a mistake. Larry has now had almost as many Championship games as Donohoe did and what we've seen in terms of preparedness and organisation has been a lot worse.

BrIan Donahue, Donal Keoghan and Keelin Malaniff were the other candidates when Larry Reilly got the job. Donahue had success with a few clubs and ladies team. He left Caatlerahan mid way through last year after a falling out. Keoghan didn't take the Crosserlough job because of health issues.

I don't think Malaniff has been a manager. More a coach.

I suggest you re-read my post as you are putting words in my mouth. I said "Maybe" all the "talk" and "expectation" is getting to him.

I said in my original post there was too much hype about him. Someone asked from who? My answer to that is supporters, everywhere I go I hear people going on about Lovett coming into the seniors when the U20s are done, star in the making etc. That talk is not helpful to him, he is a long way off senior level yet - in my opinion. And that does not mean he will not one day be a very good senior player.

If you think that is criticism of a player then fair enough but it is not meant to be.

Must be all Killygarry lads you be talking to i haven't heard anyone talk about him.

• Advertisement

You've heard no one talking about Lovett or him being brought into the senior panel? I am pretty sure its been posted a few times on this forum even.

Nope i don't know where this hype could be coming from he was on the extended panel the year we got to the Tailteann if i remember correctly but haven't heard anyone talking about him at the games i have been at lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tazman06

I went up to Owenbeg last night for a look. Very disappointing. The lads were willing, and a few standouts who might come through, but unfortunately they do not seem set up very well or such. A lot of very basic errors that were poor to see considering we've seen a fair few of these lads play well in Senior club football. Passing was poor. Hand passing behind lads, or to where they were standing and not the space they'll move into. And movement and speed was so slow. Multiple times we turned the ball over and had Derry stretched but were so slow and bad passing that we couldn't take advantage. Also no idea how to break them down, as we let them get their defence set and never actually went at them much, rather pick around the edges of the 45 and then get turned over ourselves. The few times we did move at speed and gets passes right we caused problems. Think the players have the skill and ability, but just wasn't set up right or have a plan do make use of what we had. Pity to go out meekly like that, maybe the goal chance before half time might have been a boost but not enough done overall

They play in a All Ireland B competition now. Is there a need for a second competition?. Cavan played 4 games in Ulster . Gives players more games, but will hardly be attracting big numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know if the Cavan v Tyrone match is on tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Where are you attending these games? Most times I hear people talking about a Killygarry game, Lovett is mentioned. He’s been talked up since he was a minor.

It should be pointed out that there's a good reason Lovett is been talked up. He's excelled for school, club and county through underage and since breaking onto the Killygarry senior team. Does that mean he's going to be a great senior player for Cavan? Of course not. But it's clear to everyone that there is a huge amount of potential there.

I remember Enda Gaffney of Crosserlough was similar. But never played beyond U21 for Cavan. Lovett is still young, doesn't turn 20 until the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mogue77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

He was class at this level in 2022 (alongside Cian Reilly he made the 20 top under 20 players that year). He's very good at senior club level. He has all the makings of a top player, and he shone in the game against Donegal this year.

I think he will make an impact at senior level, at the moment at u20 he clearly is our best player and is double marked for every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Looking at the panel I would have expected us to perform better, not only last night but across all 4 games. Madden, Keaney, Lovett, Smith from Ramor, Crowe, Shehu, McGahan, Tobin, Hartin and Donnelly… most of them have played at senior level for their clubs and some in the senior championship and have stood out as well. I've only watched online and couldn't see a sense that it was a well organised side. Always hard to see structure when you're relying on Ulster TV so I will defer to anyone who is at the games…

Tyrone team named. No Peter Harte in the 26. He had missed the last few league games so that's a big loss. 2 Canavan's down to start, whether they make a few changes.

Same team as last day. Clarke and Jason in the 26.

Same 15. McLoughlin and Clarke fit but on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

No Con Kilpatrick in tyrone squad either

Interesting alright

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭username2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Look at Kevin Tierney from Ballyhaise. Did he even play ten senior games for Cavan?

Advertisement