Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epson SX515W printer

Options
  • 03-03-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi All,

Got an SX515w (Epson all in one printer with wireless option) in Harvey Normans on Monday for the pricely sum of €60.
    The price tag was €120 but I asked the sales person if they would match PC Worlds price of €69.
    The manager came over and after checking with PC World said that I could have it for €60. Success!!

Online price from Amazon was about £51 Sterling yesterday.
    However just noticed while pasting the link that it has now gone down to £43 today with free shipping. A steal at that price.
    Link
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-SX515W-High-Speed-Printer-Individual/dp/B00292X5IQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299162023&sr=8-1

I then popped over to Just Media in Finglas (Near Cappagh Hospital) and picked up 3 full sets of compatibe inks, 4 cartridges per set (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black) for €7 euro a set. (They also deliver)
    Link
    https://www.justmedia.ie/p-2213-set-of-epson-compatibles-t0711234-full-set-ink-cartridges.aspx

All in I spent €81 euro for decent printer and inks.
    No affiliation to any of the above just sharing a good deal with you all.

P.S. The printer also does duplex printing which is not mentioned anywhere on specs, so an added bonus.

Cheers,
    Freebee23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

for some reason i am going to +1 for harvey norman. found an hp cq521b at 139.99 euros on their website - includes duplex print and scan auto feeder, etc, and went down to harvey's. was listed at 249 euros but i showed them the online price and i got it for 139 then.

bargain i thought. ability to email things to my printer and itll come out even though im not around.

and it scans wirelessly too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Are Epson definitely refillable cartridges?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Epson are in my opinion thieves that rob your ink and charge loads for new cartridges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Are Epson definitely refillable cartridges?

The cartridges in Justmedia have a chip ,but they don't work. You need to clean the heads regurlarly so they don't get damaged.
    I found the magenta ran out twice as quick as the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 hecmail

I got this printer recently and won't recommend it to anyone. Just avoid it. Ink goes very quick, I've had problems setting up, problems printing, problems with wifi. It's just not good.

My brother recently got a HP for around the same price as this is going for now (I paid nearly twice what it is now) and his is much better. Easy to set up, more features, better shape, better paper loading, etc. Just all round better printer. Cheap catrigages available for it too.

Couldnt say avoid Epson more strongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Cian A wrote: »
    Epson are in my opinion thieves that rob your ink and charge loads for new cartridges
    Aye, their OFFICIAL inks are a mighty rip off.

However, they do seem to have the cheapest available compatible or 3rd party inks.
    The OP gives a great example from justmedia. Those same batch of inks work on probably 30+ different epson models.
    hecmail wrote: »
    I got this printer recently and won't recommend it to anyone. Just avoid it. Ink goes very quick, I've had problems setting up, problems printing, problems with wifi. It's just not good.

My brother recently got a HP for around the same price as this is going for now (I paid nearly twice what it is now) and his is much better. Easy to set up, more features, better shape, better paper loading, etc. Just all round better printer. Cheap catrigages available for it too.

Always found Epsons rather good actually. We had a big bulky cx5400 for many years. Inks were a rip off, until we discovered the 3rd party, cheaper alternatives. She was only retired after some paper that we shouldn't have been using got jammed, and we apparently screwed up the heads or something.
    Now using a DX6000, with the same inks as mentioned in the OP. Never had any trouble with it.

That's just the nature of the beast though. You look hard enough, you'll find someone who has/had a problem with item A and B and C and D etc.

That said, care to share what model HP this bargain was? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I got it last week and no problems so far. I've scanned and printed wirelessly several times with no problems. Set it up also on a PC and 2 laptops, again, no problem. It connected to the Wi-Fi no bother (it didn't even require the WEP key, which is a bit weird/scary though).

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭farrelli

Hi, I have noticed this printer up in bargain alerts a few times already so I'm guessing people on here have bought it. My question is to anyone who has one, have they had any success with third party inks? If so which ones? as I would be interested in this printer at this price. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

I've went through 2 epson printers in the last year, both of which have got clogged ink jets (leading to streaky printing) from using 3rd party ink cartridges. I should have learned my lesson from the first one, but there you go. From my experience, AVOID EPSON!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I have one of these, was OK for documents fro a while but photos were a waste of time. Once the ink runs out it locks down and can't be used a scanner. Haven't use it in ages, not worth the price of an ink refill IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Just recently got compatible inks for this printer and a similar epson printer from Amazon here

Only tried a few of them but they have worked fine so far. Very cheap and very fast delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Just recently got compatible inks for this printer and a similar epson printer from Amazon here

Only tried a few of them but they have worked fine so far. Very cheap and very fast delivery.

I have an SX 215 & an XS 415 . I use those inks in them without any problems whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've an sx515w, been using compatible inks from amazon. Got 24 cartridges delivered for 24 sterling recently. I've had no problems with it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    The cartridges in Justmedia have a chip ,but they don't work. You need to clean the heads regurlarly so they don't get damaged.
    I found the magenta ran out twice as quick as the rest.

THESE cartridges work perfectly. Some do not (I got caught with some), but these are the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 hecmail

Thanks I'll check them out. They look very cheap. It's a bit annoying the way you get changed for delivery per amazon listing rather than an overall charge but still excellet value! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Thanks I'll check them out. They look very cheap. It's a bit annoying the way you get changed for delivery per amazon listing rather than an overall charge but still excellet value! Thanks

No worries.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I've been trying to buy one of these, but seems to be gone away up in price. Average seems to be around €110. Whats the story with that- OP quoted prices of half that.

kc66 wrote: »
    I've been trying to buy one of these, but seems to be gone away up in price. Average seems to be around €110. Whats the story with that- OP quoted prices of half that.
    ...3 months ago.

...3 months ago.

I can see that. Technology reduces in price generally, doesn't double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I can see that. Technology reduces in price generally, doesn't double.

Amazon prices vary from minute to minute, can be all over the place from month to month.

TPD wrote: »
    Amazon prices vary from minute to minute, can be all over the place from month to month.

But it was also €69 in PC World. Currys (same company as PC World) are now charging €140 for it. Nowhere anywhere near these prices now. Profiteering? Or is there a genuine reason why they are now twice the price? The former I guess.

It was on sale and now it isn't... doesn't seem that difficult to fathom IMO. It happens all the time.

So I dont have a valid point? This printer is still on sale in many places. It was €50-€70. Its is now €100-€140. I asked a straightforward Q- why is there such a price increase?
    No need the cynical, unhelpful replies. My last post on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sok2005

I personally would never get an Epson again. My old Epson printer would not take genuine refilled cartridges or spurious new cartridge versions.

Urgh, it was a pain and it seems to inhale ink, I spent a fortune refilling the monster every few weeks.

So I dont have a valid point? This printer is still on sale in many places. It was €50-€70. Its is now €100-€140. I asked a straightforward Q- why is there such a price increase?
    No need the cynical, unhelpful replies. My last post on the matter.
    No, you don't have a valid point IMO. This is a bargain alerts forum, not a complain about prices forum. If you can find it on sale still elsewhere, post where and buy it from there.
    How do you expect us to know why the price isn't low anymore? :rolleyes:

No, you don't have a valid point IMO. This is a bargain alerts forum, not a complain about prices forum. If you can find it on sale still elsewhere, post where and buy it from there.
    How do you expect us to know why the price isn't low anymore? :rolleyes:

Definitely my last post on it this time...
    You could have said that in the first place (I am well aware of how things are done around here btw). Not the other crap you posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Just buy a HP one in did electrical or somewhere similar. I got a wireless one there last week for 60.

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Just buy a HP one in did electrical or somewhere similar. I got a wireless one there last week for 60.

The reason I want one of these is the extremely cheap ink that is available on Amazon. I have always bought HP but not as good as this printer for value in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 InkDispatch

The reason I want one of these is the extremely cheap ink that is available on Amazon. I have always bought HP but not as good as this printer for value in the long term.
    The reason it isnt still available is that that Printer companies keep changing their printers and the cartridges that they use so that the compatible cartridges then wont work on the newer models - total rip off!!

Advertisement