Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk - the deadly poison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Well I really like milk and have always drank a good bit of it so here's the first google result for the dangers of soy.
    Some studies on the effects of soy products on humans have been in progress 40 years. They are now examining the brain tissue of the deceased. There are many recent studies done on animals. They noticed that birds fed soy developed their adult plumage at 2 months instead of the normal 18-months. At first this was a real plus because the young chicks could be marketed better with their full adult color. Then they noticed that the early maturing, soy-fed birds aged prematurely and died young. This caused much consternation among bird handlers, for they also noticed a great increase in growth disorders, thyroid problems, infertility, and tumor growth.
    This was a wake-up call. People were asking, "If soy does this to birds, what is it doing to us?" National health agencies and physician associations of some countries have warned their populace to exercise caution in using soy based infant formulas.
    Preliminary studies are indicating that children given soy formula go through puberty much earlier than children who were not fed soy products.
    Why? Because the phytoestrogens/isoflavones in soy act like a hormone in the body, causing the infant to have hormones like the adult body.

A 1994 study done in New Zealand revealed that, depending on age, potency of the product, and feeding methods, infants on soy formula might be consuming the equivalent of up to 10 contraceptive pills a day. By exposing your baby to such large amounts of hormonal-like substance, you are risking permanent endocrine system damage (pituitary gland, pineal gland, hypothalamus, thyroid, thymus gland, pancreas, ovary, testis, adrenal glands).

I'm sure I could link some proper scientific studies but you seem to be into the sensational media stuff so I wasn't bothered putting in the time.

I think I'll stick to milk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Serendipity99

Hi Elohim,
    What did you think of the second video? I put it in because I would say that most people don't have any idea what it takes to produce milk. I myself gave up drinking cows milk when I became aware that there was cruelty involved. I realise that the majority of people in Ireland are meat eaters, and so perhaps they don't care that calves are killed soon after they are born, that cows are kept constantly pregnant so that they will lactate all throughout their lives until they are 'spent' (usually after 5 years, though a cow's natural life span is 15 years), etc.
    But the video is there for those people who genuinely believe, because of media portrayal, that cows love running free on beaches and dancing around in circles, and that they somehow produce milk 'spontaneously'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Cyanide and arsenic are deadly posions. You lost me and, I'd imagine, anyone who doesn't appreciate sensationalist scare tactics at the title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Serendipity99

Oh and I forgot to mention,
    There are other types of milk other than soya milk:

Rice milk
    Oat milk
    Coconut milk
    Nut milk

and maybe others that I have'nt mentioned.. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Hi everybody,
    Just letting you know to be careful about drinking milk. Have a look at this short video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYpafipJyDE

Also, this 4 minute video shows what is involved in order to produce milk, so if it was me, I'd be switching to soya milk for 2 reasons (safety and cruelty avoidance): http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/f/CAMPAIGNS/blog//4//?be_id=284

I watched both videos. I've never seen such crap in my life, especially the second one. I'm from a farming background, and I can absolutely guarantee you that cows in Ireland are treated better than humans in some poor countries. You've obviously never been on a dairy farm, or any kind of farm I would bet. "Obviously" fails to adequately convey how little you know about milk, dairying, or cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Hi Elohim,
    What did you think of the second video? I put it in because I would say that most people don't have any idea what it takes to produce milk. I myself gave up drinking cows milk when I became aware that there was cruelty involved. I realise that the majority of people in Ireland are meat eaters, and so perhaps they don't care that calves are killed soon after they are born, that cows are kept constantly pregnant so that they will lactate all throughout their lives until they are 'spent' (usually after 5 years, though a cow's natural life span is 15 years), etc.
    But the video is there for those people who genuinely believe, because of media portrayal, that cows love running free on beaches and dancing around in circles, and that they somehow produce milk 'spontaneously'.

Honestly I didn't watch the video. As Pace2008 said, I read the thread title, expected sensationalist stuff from the Daily Mail or some such and proceeded to disregard any points made in the thread.
    There's apparent cruelty in every mass production sector i'd say. If you looked up all the sensationalist stuff in every food sector I'd say you'd starve to death in a matter or days. I've never eaten veal, not for any moral reason, I just wouldn't buy it.
    I don't think anyone believes that cows like to run free on beaches or dance in circles, eating grass all day and standing around staring into the distance seems to be their number one pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Imagine a cow on crack cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Absolute rubbish. In this country at least, cows are treated like pets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oh and I forgot to mention,
    There are other types of milk other than soya milk:

Rice milk
    Oat milk
    Coconut milk
    Nut milk

and maybe others that I have'nt mentioned.. :)

The mind boggles. Why would anyone believe that such highly processed and manaufactured products be healthier than a naturally produced one that people have been drinking for thousands (if not millions) of years.
    Like really Rice milk? :confused:

It is pretty arrogant of humans to believe they can manufacture new foods that are better than natural ones. Also if you believe animal milk is unnatural and unhealthy for humans then why do you try to mimic it by manufacturing these products?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That sensationalist video doesn't apply to Ireland. I don't see this thread going anywhere except becoming a train wreck so I'm closing it. OP: If you want to start a reasonable, non-sensationalised discussion on the pro's and con's of milk, by all means fire ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement