Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Mock not.........it could happen yet! Although the pewer 'ould Greeks seem to be on the verge of losing their savings, we are also losing our savings, except in a more sly and secretive way. If someone gets wind of 'swimming licences' we'll all have to get one, whether we swim or not, just like the new 'Communications licence' they are introducing instead of the TV licence. Grrrrr! There won't be much inheritance left for the childer after all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Mock not.........it could happen yet! Although the pewer 'ould Greeks seem to be on the verge of losing their savings, we are also losing our savings, except in a more sly and secretive way. If someone gets wind of 'swimming licences' we'll all have to get one, whether we swim or not, just like the new 'Communications licence' they are introducing instead of the TV licence. Grrrrr! There won't be much inheritance left for the childer after all this.

Oh, is that the latest, the "communications licence"?

Huh, I Just looked it up there. Cheek of them as regards "evading paying TV licence". We're currently "evading" it by -not having a TV-. Don't watch it, don't want one, don't have any interest in RTE. Sure, I get my news off the internet, but we already pay for internet.

*irritated raspberry sound*

It seems it doesn't matter whether you have a TV or not, if you have internet, you're in the loop, if you have a radio, you're in the loop, if you have a screen of any kind, you're in the loop.....even sun-screen........dammit......we'll have to get a licence for that too! We're giving them too many ideas, time to shurrup now! Grrrrrr again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I would be delighted to be shown I'm wrong on this - I haven't had a lot of time to study Irish tax ideas - but I suspect that, rather than spend time designing a payment system which might or might not work here, our lads in the Dail asked themselves: "What do the Brits do?"

A UK TV license is required if, in your UK property, you have ANY DEVICE which is CAPABLE of receiving TV signals AS THEY ARE BROADCAST. So, if your compewher, or tablet or phone or whatever is CAPABLE of receiving live TV, pay up!

They care not a jot if you tell them that you "never watch TV" - your equipment is CAPABLE.

And the "delay" in broadcast and receipt of signals to and from satellites does NOT mean the signal isn't being received "live".

In my last flat in the UK, I had no TV but I did have a laptop CAPABLE of receiving TV. However, as I had no broadband connection, or even a land line - which was easily verifiable by the absence of direct debits on bank accounts, records at telecom companies, etc., I was exempt. However, it was my responsibility to prove my case - waiting with head in the sand until they visited was not an option.

But their (UK) TV programmes are worth paying a licence for. Can't say the same for RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Be nice if we could get RTE over here. Used to pick it up on the old TV aerial, but not in modern times.

You can have it, Rube! The other Irish TV channel is TV3 which I would dip into more.

You can have it, Rube! The other Irish TV channel is TV3 which I would dip into more.

Last time I saw that I was in Ireland ;)

Y'll just have to visit more often then.

Y'll just have to visit more often then.

Love that idea. Just wish I knew any surviving relatives there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

http://www.irishtv.ie/

Kinda Craggy Island TV - at least theres none of that foreign stuff on it

Channel 191 on Sky over here is mostly Irish tv

Os&Os,

Have you tried your new post code yet? http://www.eircode.ie/
    It was being ridiculed on radio today (well, that's what we do!) but it looks quite clever.

Apparently, except for the names of the addressees, 30% of Irish addresses are not unique, e.g.

Sean agus Maire,
    Long Road,
    Ballmucky

and
    Seamus agus Aine,
    (At a completely different house)
    Long Road,
    Ballmucky.

My address is one of the 30% - we've been here 33 years and, like everyone else on this road, we are numberless.

There are, of course, glitches but, now that I know my "eircode", I can include it when ordering online and maybe, just maybe, it will help to reduce the amount of lost mail, late deliveries and courier vans and ambulances doing U-turns in the middle of roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Sorting codes = increase in logistics efficiency... eventually.
    I'm happy to see it finally introduced even though I know it will be a number of years before they are fully integrated into everyday life and my satnav.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    ....My address is one of the 30% - we've been here 33 years and, like everyone else on this road, we are numberless.....

Ah, one of the posher addresses, then? Sly way to show off Brens! :rolleyes:

Ah, one of the posher addresses, then? Sly way to show off Brens! :rolleyes:

Yeah, right! We're the fourth Bungalow Bliss house, down the "Dual Carriageway" (ditch - dirt - grass - dirt - ditch) after the Boggy Lane. Real posh!

Y'don't know you've been born mate! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Os&Os,

Have you tried your new post code yet? http://www.eircode.ie/

ah, very good, at last I have a number.

Live on a little rural lane and always have to talk delivery folk to the door. I will put it on my next Internet purchase and see if they use it rather than phone me.

Are post codes new to ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

ah, very good, at last I have a number.

Live on a little rural lane and always have to talk delivery folk to the door. I will put it on my next Internet purchase and see if they use it rather than phone me.
    Well, yes and no. Dublin did have postcodes (of a sort) like Dublin 4 or Dublin 15 etc. However, we now have all new all singing proper grown up postcodes. Oh tis all very excitin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was arranging for a pick up from UPS today and said - do you want the postcode? He said in amazement Ireland has postcodes? Yes says I, since yesterday. Oh, says he, but there is no provision on the computer for it. So we decided to go the old-fashioned way :)

Or to put it another way.......they decided to do it the Oirish way........same old same old! :D Sure we can't be havin' all dem fancy post code numbers, after all, we'd much rather let the delivery van get lost, and waste all that petrol so they keep puttin' the cost of delivery up and up and up......which they'll do anyway!

So, apparently, these new Eircodes are assigned randomly by house, and are not sequential. So you get a very general area code and after that it's chucking dice in the air. Is it just me, or does that spectacularly fail to make them particularly useful?

Once you're in a general cachement area, you're better off just using the address!

To give an example: 142 Pikachu Tce., Cork could be T19 K230, and 143 Pikachu Tce, Cork could be T19 X436.

Seriously, it's not like every other country in the world hasn't managed this. It's not like they were innovating a totally new system here.

Yes Samaris......it doesn't make sense. Y'know, I love Ireland, its my home, but more and more I feel a terrible sense of doom.

SHRIEK :eek::eek::eek:

Remember a few months ago my new car was written off in a freak accident involving a boat?

I had to get a new car to replace it ....

Last night I was involved in a motoring accident. :(

What a silly beggar I am. tut tut tut

Rubecula wrote: »

Remember a few months ago my new car was written off in a freak accident involving a boat?

Oh god, that's unlucky! A freak accident involving a -boat-? O.o That does sound like a fairly freakish occurrence. I'm sure it was commented on somewhere in the thread, but what happened?

Also, far more importantly, everyone alright?

....Last night I was involved in a motoring accident. :(...

Whaaaat! Hope nobody was hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

I think maybe a push bike would be safer for you!

Samaris wrote: »
    Oh god, that's unlucky! A freak accident involving a -boat-? O.o That does sound like a fairly freakish occurrence. I'm sure it was commented on somewhere in the thread, but what happened?

Also, far more importantly, everyone alright?

only two injuries ... my nerves and my pride lol

Accident earlier in the year was a boat falling off a tralier and destroying my car :mad:
    Whaaaat! Hope nobody was hurt!

No injuries JB, it was only about 10 mph, but my car is badly damaged. :confused:
    Alice1 wrote: »
    I think maybe a push bike would be safer for you!

Sadly Alice, I am not able to ride a bike these days :confused:

• Advertisement

I wouldn't like to be you having to go to the insurance company....again! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement