Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

OldGoat wrote: »
    What is wrong with you people.

First they came for the marmite and I did not speak out.
    Next they came for the marzipan and I did not speak out.
    Then they came for the espresso and then there was nothing nice left anywhere for me.
    :eek:

Hmmm. An espresso with a layer of marzipan, topped off with a dollup of Marmite. Quick! I'm now a barista. Get me a slot on a cookery programme!

A question for yiz foodies, slightly related to my recent Subway experience:

The Subway "Sandwich Artist" pointed to a dozen or so plastic squirty bottles and asked if I wanted sauce. One of these concoctions was barbeque sauce.

If you were to put barbeque sauce on barbequed food, do you get double barbeque flavour or does the barbeque sauce cancel out the barbequing taste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have indeed learned about espresso having visited eetaly once upon a time in the days before us Irish folk got a taste for coffee. Lord almighty do they think I'm an eejit or wha? When I want coffee, it's coffee, ground or instant, I don't care, BOILING water, milk and sugar please and thank you. Don't believe those who will tell you coffee should be made with water which is less than boiled......that just makes it putrid! Great word, putrid, haven't used that in ages....feel better for it......now where's me cuppa lovely TEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

OldGoat wrote: »
    What is wrong with you people.

First they came for the marmite and I did not speak out.
    Next they came for the marzipan and I did not speak out.
    Then they came for the espresso and then there was nothing nice left anywhere for me.
    :eek:

As long as nobody starts on the 'demon drink' we will all rub along quiet happy together:D

Layinghen wrote: »
    As long as nobody starts on the 'demon drink' we will all rub along quiet happy together:D

Well, I could, but I know I'm in a minority of one, so I'll keep schtum. :mad:

• Advertisement

Fair play to you Jellybaby, nice cup of tea heading your way as soon as I boil the kettle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Tea? If you insist but no sugar in mine and please no PG Tips. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,086 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Right then, no googling, who knows what the PG in PG tips stands for?

Rubecula wrote: »
    Tea? If you insist but no sugar in mine and please no PG Tips. :)

Not to worry Rubes only Barry's tea here. Are you sure I cant tempt you with something a little stronger?????

looksee wrote: »

Ok I'll admit it I cheated........that is fascinating, never knew that is how PG got its name.

• Advertisement

Momentous day, folks! Side effects of chemo are under control now and I'm just back from my first proper walk since late July. A soggy, foggy beach, with the Woof, and home via a wood. And what did we see there?? Primroses! Not in flower yet but peeping over the top. And......daffydillies in a few gardens, having a little peep too! Marvellous!

Woof is out cold and snoring now and I'm here with feet steeping in a basin of warm water. A big mug of Tetleys (never could take to Barrys), the last of the marzipan-free Christmas cake and grandson is on his way for a sleep-over.

Aaaahhhhhh! It doesn't get much behher nor diss!

What a fab post! Congratulations Brens, you must be walking on air today. Delighted to hear you've seen some daffs, my auntie-in-law has primroses and daffs peeping up too so your whole post has made me ultra happy! :)

Not to worry Rubes only Barry's tea here. Are you sure I cant tempt you with something a little stronger?????

Maybe, what have you in mind? I like drinking nice soft fruity drinks such a errr Vodka?

Oh I know how PG tips got it's name by the way

Tell you what, I'll chuck some vodka in with the tea.........best of both worlds;)

I didn't google it but am guessing......."putrid gunk" ? Well? Am I right? :D
    Tell you what, I'll chuck some vodka in with the tea.........best of both worlds;)

Step away from the tay! You heard me! :mad:

Vodka in tay? Drop a whisky, or brandy maybe, but vodka!!! (And Lyons (gold blend) all the way) :D

wonder why they put gold label in a red box?

Step away from the tay! You heard me! :mad:[/QUOTE]

Guess my kettle boiling privileges will be withdrawn!!!!!

Yes, vodka and tea might not be a winner:p now Baileys and coffee, a winning combination.

After the great marzipan and coffee debate let the Barry's/Lyons battle commence:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Patricia and Gary, the two monkeys who did the advert?

Patricia and Gary, the two monkeys who did the advert?

:D That's a bit circular, since the tea existed long before the ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

:D That's a bit circular, since the tea existed long before the ads!
    Sorry, I wasn't being serious. And as I don't drink tea (or coffee) and don't follow the life story of tea, I wouldn't know when PG Tips even started. Possibly before TV in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Not sure but I think it stood for Pre diGestive for before you ate a meal?

Rubecula wrote: »
    Not sure but I think it stood for Pre diGestive for before you ate a meal?

Give the woman a coconut!

Sorry Rube, wrong gender - I haven't drunk my tea yet!

After the great marzipan and coffee debate let the Barry's/Lyons battle commence:D:D

When I was leaving Madrid, the lads prepared a special, surprise "Irish" lunch for me. Very decent of them, especially since I had recommended closure of the Spanish plant!
    They took great delight in showing me the Liptons tea bags they had found and proceeded with following the instructions on the pack. However, as a special treat, they added goats milk to the tea......and I had to drink it! Since then, I can't face any milk in tea a tall a tall. Black tea only.

"So what?" I hear you ask. Well, in Ingurland, some people insist on putting milk into the cup BEFORE the tea. Maybe it's my imagination but this method appears to make the tea super-milky and, for me, like todally undrinkable. And, unless thoroughly rinsed out, the cup retains a milky flavour even after the milky mixture is poured down the sink.

So, whatever about Barrys vs. Lyons, do yiz think that milk before tea should be made a criminal offence? I could volunteer to lead this movement because I have "previous" on similar campaigns: years ago, it was me who started the movement to rid the world of tea cups with handles so small that only pre-school children and Snow White's little buddies could get their fingers through the handles. Also, although not yet entirely eradicated, I've also had considerable success reducing the numbers of saucers on the planet. I'm also planning to seek out and destroy anyone involved in growing, picking, transporting, selling, making, serving or consuming Earl Grey tea. Must keep busy!

You're welcome.

I always put the milk in first, unless i am making a cuppa in a mug. I prefer tea from a teapot. I only take a small drop of milk so it isn't over milky. I get a lot of abuse and protests over this system, so I pour other people's the other way round, but do my own milk first :cool:.

Riveting subject this. :rolleyes: My preference:

Tea should be made in a previously heated stainless steel teapot. If you make tea in a cold teapot it reduces the temperature of the tea, stands to reason, and we can't have that!

Add teabags or tea leaves to heated teapot.

Add freshly boiled water.

Tea should be left to 'draw' for about 43 seconds to one minute, depending on preferred taste. Only real tea-drinkers understand this vitally important step. Then the tea should be stirred with a stainless steel spoon in a clockwise direction, no less than six turns, and no more than eight turns.

Tea should be now poured into a large mug, with proper handles leaving enough room for the required amount of milk.

Milk goes in next.

Preferred amount of sugar goes in next.

Stir it all together with a proper stainless steel teaspoon in a clockwise direction until all the sugar is dissolved.

Drink tea. Aaaaaaaah! Snuggle down into comfy chair and smile happily. On cold days, wrap fingers round hot cuppa. :)

End of story. No more to be said. All other instructions are wrong of course, ;)

JB thanks for that. I would quibble with 'about' 43 seconds....

also I prefer a pottery teapot, stays hot better.

JB thanks for that. I would quibble with 'about' 43 seconds....

also I prefer a pottery teapot, stays hot better.

Regarding the number of seconds. I would allow you to take it down to 42.5 seconds but that's as far as I will go on that!

Regarding pottery teapot.....NEVAH!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Riveting subject this. :rolleyes: My preference:

Tea should be made in a previously heated stainless steel teapot. If you make tea in a cold teapot it reduces the temperature of the tea, stands to reason, and we can't have that!

Add teabags or tea leaves to heated teapot.

Add freshly boiled water.

Tea should be left to 'draw' for about 43 seconds to one minute, depending on preferred taste. Only real tea-drinkers understand this vitally important step. Then the tea should be stirred with a stainless steel spoon in a clockwise direction, no less than six turns, and no more than eight turns.

Tea should be now poured into a large mug, with proper handles leaving enough room for the required amount of milk.

Milk goes in next.

Preferred amount of sugar goes in next.

Stir it all together with a proper stainless steel teaspoon in a clockwise direction until all the sugar is dissolved.

Drink tea. Aaaaaaaah! Snuggle down into comfy chair and smile happily. On cold days, wrap fingers round hot cuppa. :)

End of story. No more to be said. All other instructions are wrong of course, ;)

While reading this opus, a few alternatives were circulating in my head. Then I read "All other instructions are wrong of course". Now, I'm too scared to suggest alternatives.

Well, maybe.....would it be OK to use a ceramic teapot and spoons? My Chinese buddy gave me a set and I think they might know something about tea. But only if JB approves, of course.
    Also, is the stirring in a "clockwise direction" applicable to both earthly hemispheres or, when south of the equator, is it permisable to stir anti-clockwise?
    Finally, my watch has a built-in stopwatch but when does the clock start for the "43 to 60 seconds" drawing? From first introduction of freshly boiled water or from when all of the tea / teabags are fully submerged?
    Do I need to use a certified calibrated timepiece?
    If I'm pouring boiling water, how do I start my stopwatch?

This tea-making is much more complicated than I thought. I only wanted something hot and wet to dunk my ginger nuts in.

Well there's a whole new subject, dunking gingernuts. Or any kind of cookies (*ducks*). Its been done before? Oh.

So what do you think about having to take your shoes off as you enter the house?

• Advertisement

Give the woNDERFUL man a coconut!

!

he he he fixed it for you lol :pac:

By the way the idea of putting in milk first comes from the days of delicate porcelain when boiling water could crack the cup or pot. So milk was put in first to prevent this happening.

(Another useless fact from TeaBag Rubes )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement