Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP McManus buys the Markets Field for Limerick FC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RaoulPuke

Cmon now, let's all jump straight down my throat for pointing out how a little local sweetner can sway people. I want everyone to chime in heartily :D

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm sure there are a few from the "burn-the-bond-holders" etc camp here, and "why should we bail out the bankers" tribe, yet JP is a demi-god because he buys "us" a field. (Enter the "Sure no one else does anything for Limerick" battalion)
    Lets all ignore national issues in favour of keeping our own patch green. What harm has that ever done in the passed.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?t=6048

A right Robin-hood we have here indeed. Shame the "rich" in this case are the imf and we all know who that trickles down to.

fickle, fickle, fickle...

Sure it's easy keep us sweet with a few quid to the local gaa, local hospital, a local pitch,
    (sure isn't he only sharing his good fortune and luck on the horses with us?)

(.....................pulls pin from grenade............)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

RaoulPuke wrote: »
    Cmon now, let's all jump straight down my throat for pointing out how a little local sweetner can sway people. I want everyone to chime in heartily :D

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm sure there are a few from the "burn-the-bond-holders" etc camp here, and "why should we bail out the bankers" tribe, yet JP is a demi-god because he buys "us" a field. (Enter the "Sure no one else does anything for Limerick" battalion)
    Lets all ignore national issues in favour of keeping our own patch green. What harm has that ever done in the passed.

A right Robin-hood we have here indeed. Shame the "rich" in this case are the imf and we all know who that trickles down to.

Sure it's easy keep us sweet with a few quid to the local gaa, local hospital, a local pitch,

Tbf, there's an element of real-politik about this. We know JP could live here and pay tax but we know it's unlikely someone that rich would chose to and if they did pay tax, that that money would be well invested. JP choosing various projects is as good as we can hope for, tbh.

It's also worth pointing out, JP himself maintains it's only since he left Ireland (for Geneva?) that his wealth jumped from being rich to "being rich enough to build stadia at a whim", had he stayed local he'd still be well off (very well off in fairness) but not so well off that he could finance the investments he currently finances.

I can certainly see why some people would object to JP's attitude but tbh, would any of us willing choose to pay acres of tax to a Government who seemed intent on wasting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

He is doing nothing illegal and is under no obligation to pay tax if he doesn't live here.

There are various Irish millionaires that do not live in Ireland, are you seeking they all should return here and pay off the mistakes of others?

He is doing great work for Limerick and it is a lot more than many other millionaires who are 'exiles' are doing, just because he is known shouldn't mean he is chastised over it.

Now I didn't raise the point of his tax status, did I? It was irrelevant to my point. I'm also sure there is nothing illegal in a cent he has earned.
    When you are in a position of such political influence it's easy to keep all your colours between the lines. The process of drawing up those lines is another day's debate..
    Indeed he has done very well with his investments, but his is also not very far removed from the causes of this crisis, and by his own admission, we has a vested interest in our banks being bailed out.
    What I do take issue with is that it's the fact that the nation as a whole is crumbling under the burden of debt, the market's field purchase is great for Limerick, but of little comfort to anyone else beyond.
    We are effectively bailing him out. He's not the only person in the country who's burden we bear. So should not be singled out......but the sentiment of this thread was that he should be carried shoulder high through the streets.
    Have we learned nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

osarusan wrote: »
    He said Friday week - the 11th. Tonight we're away to Finn Harps in Donegal.

bring it on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Why would he ever feel the need to keep 'us' sweet?

Is it so hard for you to accept some people just like to give a little back to the people of their home town for which they are proud of.
    He does not have to or need to do this. He did this because he knew the joy this place brings to many.

You couldn't help yourself, could you?
    You read this thread, saw the joy it was bringing to the many Limerick people who commented here and thought you could spoil the positivity by splurring out a load of regurgitated drivvel that everybody here is already aware of.

In Limerick when something good happens, when one of our own makes us proud we stand tall and we embrace and celebrate the positivity. This is who we are. This is who Mr. McManus is too and his personal financial affairs are his business.

Stop trying to break the chain of positivity here. Feck off to another forum.

GOAN' MARKETS FIELD & UP JP FOR MAKING IT HAPPEN!!!!!

Apologies, I took this to be a forum, where debate and individual points of view (if reasonable and unoffensive) would be welcome. I'd consider when it becomes a one sided "chain of positivity" directed towards a single individual to be a more of fan club.
    However I shall bow out of your thread to let the more popular point of view continue as you suggest.
    Any development to the market's field, I feel, is a an amazing and positive asset to our city, and the fact that an individual even has to step and offer his personal financial backing to such a historic local sporting site shows both a local and national governmental failure.
    "his personal financial affairs are his business" is where we disagree, where this is intertwined with national financial affairs I feel this point is worthwhile raising, your opinion is that this isn't the forum for that.
    "regurgitated drivel" can be applied to both points of view, the thread may have had the intention of being highlighting a positive step for Limerick, with the ground being redeveloped, but progressed somewhat into a "All hail Mr. McManus" thread.
    I just wanted to reel it back in.
    Apologies again...let the gushing continue.........
    (Bows out)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks RaoulPuke .

Now where were we ........... oh yeah

I love you JP , I want to have your babies !

TBF I get your point , I don't actually know if he is or isn't part of the bailout or the problem that led to the bailout and tbh I am probably too lazy to go and look it up and probably a small bit apathetic with the whole thing as well . Your point is fair but even in that context would it not be fair to say there are a whole lot more in the same boat who haven't contributed anything back to the state or their community . With my rose tinted glasses ( I know of a lot of other stuff he has done that are not publicised and have benefited me , my area and/or my kids + we are from the same watering hole ) this still puts him head and shoulders above them then .

I am not being sarcastic with the above comments incase it reads that way ( with the exception of the 2nd and 3rd lines :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Yes, i'm afraid you are completely wrong. Why should bond holders be 'burnt'?

I don't hear you talking about bailing out the politicians, the ones who have ruined the country and are walking away with hundreds of thousands of €.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

raoul puke as some one who would be underground but for his generosity, you attitude disgusts me, if he stayed and contributed to the exchequre, who would have benifited ?, not me or others who need diylisis or oncology treatment, probably ff who would have given themselvs biger pensions and the galway tent buddies, it is said the mary harney wanted to move the oncology from limerick to galway, only for jp mc manus but an oar in that particular wheel, have you googled any of the cancer treatments, do you realise the preps that are required, leave from the ares end of co.limerick or parts of kerry for galway, stop somewhere and perhaps have to try and give your self an enema, at a required time before treatment, the have a certain volume of water in ones system for a required period, yes i am a gusher, yes a very thankful one, so please save your troskite rants for theose who know no better than to believe them.

• Advertisement

...they keep pulling me back in :D

Against by my better judgment I'll chime back in, sure I guess it would be silly not, a little debate/discussion is what it's all about!

I'll again clarify, I've not said a single thing about Mr. McManus's tax status or contributions to the exchequer. (admittedly the poster in my link did elude to it but my point was do do with the other topic addressed: bank bailouts/guarantee)

Our government has failed our city (but more importantly our nation) in many if not all departments (in my opinion, which I hope I'm entitled to have.)

Hospital's/healthcare in most definitely one of them as the last poster most definitely more knowledgeable in this aspect than I am.

The folks in the Galway tents that you speak of, are they not the same folks said to have been acting under the advice of Mr. Mc to protect our banks, by bailing them out with EU/IMF money (which turns out to be all our money - with some pretty hefty interest on top too).

Mr. McManus says he may have a vested interest in these banks i.e. we are protecting his investment from making a loss, with tax increases, public service job cuts, healthcare service/job cuts, education job cuts and perhaps a reduction in investment in local and nation sports grounds/youth development projects by repaying our countries debt.

Why should he take a loss on his money? I definitely wouldn't want to in the same position, and definitely have advised likewise to protect any investment.

He has definitely given lots to our city (predominantly) when he is obliged to give zero. That is generous.
    Should he be mayor/president/carried shoulder high through our streets? In my opinion, no.
    It's a conundrum, graciously accepting a wonderful local gift, or question the broader picture at a risk of stifling such gifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

...they keep pulling me back in :D

Against by my better judgment I'll chime back in, sure I guess it would be silly not, a little debate/discussion is what it's all about!

I'll again clarify, I've not said a single thing about Mr. McManus's tax status or contributions to the exchequer. (admittedly the poster in my link did elude to it but my point was do do with the other topic addressed: bank bailouts/guarantee)

Our government has failed our city (but more importantly our nation) in many if not all departments (in my opinion, which I hope I'm entitled to have.)

Hospital's/healthcare in most definitely one of them as the last poster most definitely more knowledgeable in this aspect than I am.

The folks in the Galway tents that you speak of, are they not the same folks said to have been acting under the advice of Mr. Mc to protect our banks, by bailing them out with EU/IMF money (which turns out to be all our money - with some pretty hefty interest on top too).

Mr. McManus says he may have a vested interest in these banks i.e. we are protecting his investment from making a loss, with tax increases, public service job cuts, healthcare service/job cuts, education job cuts and perhaps a reduction in investment in local and nation sports grounds/youth development projects by repaying our countries debt.

Why should he take a loss on his money? I definitely wouldn't want to in the same position, and definitely have advised likewise to protect any investment.

He has definitely given lots to our city (predominantly) when he is obliged to give zero. That is generous.
    Should he be mayor/president/carried shoulder high through our streets? In my opinion, no.
    It's a conundrum, graciously accepting a wonderful local gift, or question the broader picture at a risk of stifling such gifts.

There is no doubt a lot of what you say is correct. Most countries would NOT tolerate the likes of Desmond/D O Brien/McManus enjoying tax exile status whilst practically have full time residence here too.

It's the politicians that need to be blamed for allowing this.

From McManus's point of view, (and probably like us if we had the choice), feels he spends his € far better than paying tax to government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

quite a few countrys have their tax exiles, nothing new in that, it seems that countrys benifit more by having this kind of person.

Any word on when redevelopment will begin?

If they serious about playing there next season, some sort of work will have to start soon, especially if they are relaying the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Any word on when redevelopment will begin?

If they serious about playing there next season, some sort of work will have to start soon, especially if they are relaying the pitch.

No word on an exact start date but it was said that there was hope that the A team and U19 team could even play a few games there before the end of the season (the season ends in November).

Pat O Sullivan has been over in the UK looking at 3G football pitches in the last few weeks. They are probably going to need to apply for planning permission also if they are to make any changes soon.

I think there is plenty of time to get the place in a suitable condition for next season. There is just under a year till the 2012 season.

Jofspring wrote: »
    No word on an exact start date but it was said that there was hope that the A team and U19 team could even play a few games there before the end of the season (the season ends in November).

Pat O Sullivan has been over in the UK looking at 3G football pitches in the last few weeks. They are probably going to need to apply for planning permission also if they are to make any changes soon.

I think there is plenty of time to get the place in a suitable condition for next season. There is just under a year till the 2012 season.

Depends what you mean by "suitable" I guess. Imo, it needs a complete rebuild but you could get it ready for football easily enough I guess.

Any truth in the rumour Limerick are going to be allowed used Thomond for friendlies for the next decade provided it's not within 10 days of an FAI event?

Depends what you mean by "suitable" I guess. Imo, it needs a complete rebuild but you could get it ready for football easily enough I guess.

Any truth in the rumour Limerick are going to be allowed used Thomond for friendlies for the next decade provided it's not within 10 days of an FAI event?

Well for the mean time I can't see there being massive changes to the Markets Field. Getting the facilities in place and it in a suitable state will be the main things I would think. I can't see them going straight in and building big stands that will be empty. It will be a progressive project over time just like Tallaght Stadium in Dublin.

Yes from what I hear that rumour is true. As far as I'm concerned that was a blatant admission from the FAI that they had no right to stop Limericks friendly last season. How good this outcome will be will come down to what kind of friendlies can be organised and what kind of support will come out to the games.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Well for the mean time I can't see there being massive changes to the Markets Field. Getting the facilities in place and it in a suitable state will be the main things I would think. I can't see them going straight in and building big stands that will be empty. It will be a progressive project over time just like Tallaght Stadium in Dublin.

Yes from what I hear that rumour is true. As far as I'm concerned that was a blatant admission from the FAI that they had no right to stop Limericks friendly last season. How good this outcome will be will come down to what kind of friendlies can be organised and what kind of support will come out to the games.

I know that slow and steady is the sensible approach but I'd love for it to be fully ready for next season.

A Barcelona game would sell out Thomond, imo. Not so sure about a Milan or Madrid but they'd get good crowds.

Obviously it's more likely to be more mid-level team but still, could be great.

Btw, while I'm asking, what's the story with the Munster Football team? Will there be another game this season?

I know that slow and steady is the sensible approach but I'd love for it to be fully ready for next season.

A Barcelona game would sell out Thomond, imo. Not so sure about a Milan or Madrid but they'd get good crowds.

Obviously it's more likely to be more mid-level team but still, could be great.

Btw, while I'm asking, what's the story with the Munster Football team? Will there be another game this season?

Personally I think to be worth while for Limerick FC it would have to be the likes of Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea. If it was a lower English Premier League team or Celtc or someone like that I couldn't see there being a big crowd as these teams reguarly play in Ireland and only get small crowds at games.

The Munster team was only really done for the Shane Geoghegan Trust so I think if there are to be any big friendlies it will be under the Limerick FC name. Limerick FC's trading name is Munster Football Club but playing under this name wouldn't give Limerick FC munch exposer. The majority of the Munster team last season where Limerick FC players who I thought played excellent against Sunderland but it hasn't helped improve Limericks crowds.

Advertisement