Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats in? Cats out?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

Graces7 wrote: »
    A very good and caring question;)

I would say yes, it would stress them. I have to keep mine in before a move and it is hard indeed on them.

Have to disagree with your statement that it is stressful on a cat that is use to being out - I have an ex-feral cat who if what you say is true should be literally crawling my walls - which is not the case.

Cats spend a large portion of their day sleeping, grooming and eating - if cats are given stimulation etc they can live a quiet healthy life style indoors.

3 of my 5 cats were outdoor cats before they came to me and all have had no problems being indoor only cats. I live in a housing estate and I am not prepared to risk my cats safety on being knocked down, eating poison, or someone using them as target practise - and yes these are all things that I have seen done to cats - too often I have had to bring cats to the vets to be pts after they have been hit by a car and no one bothers to stop and help them.

I have had feral cats in my house with their kittens and all have adjusted to living indoors with no issues. Yes it takes time and patients but they settle into their lifestyle.

It is a personal decision as to what you want to do - but in fairness most people don't just open their front door (yes I know a few do) and tell their dogs to go out play with the traffic - but this is what is done to cats...they are not native to Ireland and I don't care what anyone says cats do not have road sense - if they did we wouldn't loose so many of them to the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

My cats have always had free access to outdoors, and are big hunters. I had to keep one of them indoors for 3 months last year and we both got so depressed. She used to sit for hours looking out the window, with her whole body drooping - it made me so unhappy for her. Even though I spent hours playing with her, and she used to hunt spiders in the house, the day she was able to go outside again was the day she started to live again, her eyes got bright and her appetite came back. I'd have thought if a cat is to be indoors it would be better to start with a kitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I Keep mine in every night, but they like to go outside too and it suits me to let them out as they get plenty of exercise when outside, and the neighbours like them too which is a big help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Mine are in during the evening and at night.
    They're out during the day - particularly at the moment, when the weather is good. They were in all day pretty much all winter.
    Mind you, they don't stray too far from the front or back garden and we live in a fairly quiet (and cat filled!!) estate.You're lucky if you get cats that aren't inclined to go too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

A very good and caring question;)

Well it's only in relation to one cat I'm thinking would have a problem with living indoors. She quite frankly doesn't like humans and never really has. You are lucky if you get to pet her but she has always been wary from the moment we got her when she was well about 4 months old maybe 5. That was like 6 years ago.

Seeing as I'm living at home and well it's the mothers house and she doesn't want animals in the house so that's fair enough her house, her rules and such.

Just thinking about when I move....it wouldn't be practical though as no where is gonna let you rent with 3 indoor cats. You'd be lucky if they let you have a friggin fish tank!
    Zapperzy wrote: »
    It depends on the cat. Someone on here recently said they decided to keep their cats indoors after one had an accident and I think they said they coped surprisingly well. I also know people who have adopted ex-feral cats and have kept them as indoor cats and they have adjusted well.

Well for the next 3 years it isn't really feasible...but then again maybe I could make it work. I'd really love to have them indoors.
    dan_d wrote: »
    You're lucky if you get cats that aren't inclined to go too far.

I've lost a few cats who just never came back this way. Esp my beloved Freckles but think she went off to die :(

Thankfully my 3 I have left don't wander. They are always around. Podge never leaves the open shed/street area. Sniffles might wander over to poo in the neighbours large fields and Tabby would only go as far as the bushes always within calling range. Though I did catch Sniffles just sitting swishing her tail in the middle of the road(country back road but still is busy at times) licking her paw....nearly had a heart attack! get off the road ya silly furrball!! :eek:

See I think Tabby may have been an indoor cat at some point in his life(he's a stray I took in no idea of his history) as anytime I sneak him into the house(sssshh don't tell the Mother:p) he never wants to leave! So think he would adjust well.

Either way if I do eventually get to make them indoor cats(or the idea I like more is indoor mostly with cat proofed garden) I'd have to make sure I was settled somewhere and not have to move home as then they would be stuck outside again after them being used to indoors! >.<

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

:confused:Who, as they say, pissed on your cornflakes? REALLY! Yes I read it; was intrigued by your definitions and joped at first that .. well.... but as others have said, don;t agree with you. Period. We differ; cats and situations differ.. That is the way it is. Most of us cannot afford cages for our cats ,or live in rented accommodation etc etc. And I regard life for a cat in a different way than you do. Especially the two here now.

it is allowed..to disagree.... Why does that bug you so much?

Im issuing a red card for this comment.Attack th epost and mot the poster are the general rules of boards,ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I have a 9 year old cat, I got her when she was 6 months, I don't know her background before she came to me, whether she was inside or not but the few months I kept her in when I first go her while she was being spayed and getting used to new home she was miserable.
    My cat comes and goes as she wants, usually she is in most of the time in winter and in summer she really only comes in to eat.
    My cat is the first and only cat I've ever had so I can't pretend to be the most experienced cat owner out there so I guess I project my feelings on her as in that I am an outdoor person and being indoors (or even an enclosed garden) 24/7 for the rest of my life, looking at the same 4 walls would fill me with dread. Would I rather live a safe life inside my house for 60 years or take a chance of possibly dying at 30 and experiencing the world, I personally would rather the latter, but that's just my opinion.
    I also think pet owners and indeed parents in the last few years are constantly worrying about the boggy man around the corner, don't get me wrong I realised many cats have been attacked by dogs, knocked down or otherwise harmed while being outside but I also know cats who have be strangled on blind cords, poisoned by household chemicals and been injured in falls from countertops.
    In the end OP it comes down to personal choice and what you yourself feel is the right way to go, either way I'm sure you will make sure they have a happy life. :)

Advertisement