Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you read lengthy series?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

bonkey wrote: »
    Up until book 7 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, that's exactly what I did.

I joined at book 3, so I read the first three back-to-back. Then for book 4, I read 1, 2, 3, 4. Continued this way, once a year, until 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

For book 8, I only re-read 6 and 7.
    For book 9, I only re-read 8 (and Esslemont's NoK and RotCG)
    For book 10, I only re-read 9 (and Esslemont's

If I'm re-reading something, it tends to be the same.

jayysus, you repeatedly, retest them? I've read first two.... They're not THAT good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gearheart

Personally I am a huge warhammer fan, so reading the books can take a while and they are usually omnibuses. I don't like leaving a book to go to another so if i started a book I would finish it without changing in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭sxt

Have only finished two fantasy series so far. The book of the new sun and the dark tower series read them end to end, this was 3 or 4 years ago. Now I can't read a mammoth fantasy novel series continuously. Need to read an ickle book in between. I must start building up my reading muscles again.
    Finished book two of the Malazan series a few months ago( I intend to buy book 3 someday ,based on the fact that the review for this book are arguably the best of the series)
    Read First book of the prince of nothing series last year/2 years ago? ( I have bought book 2 so i will definitely read this someday)
    Finished first 4 books of a Song of ice and fire ,first three in a very short space of time, they were that good( Haven't bought the new book yet , bit disapointed that it doesn't seem to be getting very decent reviews/ feedback. Will probably read it when it comes out in paperback

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Depends on the series for me, with The Hobbit and LOTR I had a gap between hobbit and the trilogy but I read the trilogy back to back. I gobbled up all the harry potters really quick but ead the last few as they were published, but they're extremely easy to read.

I read Robin Hobb's Assassins Apprentice there and loved it even though it took me a while to get through it as it's quite a slow paced book, I have the rest of them stacked in my bedroom at the moment but I'm reading a few other books before I go near them since they're all so long, if I really get into them I'm most likely to just read the lot. I'm going to read Game of Thrones soon too, I've decided to read each book after each season so I don't ruin the show on myself :D

Advertisement