Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of companies who make Supermarket OWN BRANDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Don't Largo Foods ie Tayto make all the crisps for Aldi/Lidl?

Absolutely nothing wrong with the majority of Tesco own brand food. I look through my trolley and most things I buy will be Tesco brand except cat food. The cat will only eat Whiskas!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The cat will only eat Whiskas!
    The cat is not hungry enough!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Esel wrote: »
    The cat is not hungry enough!

Well in fairness now, 9 out of 10 cats prefer Whiskas....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Don't buy their (or any shop's) cheapo mince then! What do you expect at that price....

Tesco's round steak mince is fine by me.

I buy lean mince from my butcher for half the price of Tesco and it's twice the product. That said, have bought the mince from LIDL and was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

check out the meat content of the own brand burgers compared to birdseye or bigals.

the own brand burgers are usually 99% meat
    the branded ones are anywhere between 66% and 88% meat

and i buy the tesco meat.
    usually in the reduced section, as it has aged a little more and tastes good.
    got 4 rib eye steaks for €1.20 last week.
    yum.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Don't buy their (or any shop's) cheapo mince then! What do you expect at that price....

Tesco's round steak mince is fine by me.
    Once bitten... I only buy round mince, defo not the cheap stuff. I find their standard round mince poor. Their super duper extra lean stuff is good though but expensive. What I get from the butcher is both good and reasonably priced.
    Get off it buddy your either working for tesco or have no taste whatsoever if you think there meat or own brand goods are worthy for human conumption, tacky and cheap thats Tesco.
    Yeah yeah. Of course I work for Tesco :rolleyes: I buy their own brand corn, kidney beans, milk, and noodles regularly and have no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Goodfella's make Tesco's frozen pizzas, one of the reps told me when he dropped in for merchandising

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

I buy own brand Tescos canned goods and cat food.... although the petstop voucher has meant they have had whiskas for the last week!

The meat is fine... Well we are all still alive..... I think!

I usually buy it reduced too. Got 8 chicken breasts for €4.80, 1.6kg of aberdeen angus diced steak for €5.60 and 1.2kg of pork loin medallions for €5.60. Oh and 4 chicken breast kievs for €1.80...

I have tried local butchers and they are at least double the price of normal prices in Tesco/Dunnes. I suppose its a case of buying what you can afford...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Battleflag wrote: »
    Goodfella's make Tesco's frozen pizzas, one of the reps told me when he dropped in for merchandising

They use to, checked some recently and they were german origin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

One of the companies in the lists makes own brand for aldi, lidl, dunnes, and a few independents and they claim the product is Irish. Truth is most of the ingredients comes in from France, Holland and the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Pat the Baker makes Centra bread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Good thread.
    Anyone know who supply Tesco orange juice and Tesco branded tea bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

snubbleste wrote: »
    Good thread.
    Anyone know who supply Tesco orange juice and Tesco branded tea bags?

I don't know about the OJ but I am sure Satan supplies the teabags. Don't drink Tesco Value tea, for the love of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I don't know about the OJ but I am sure Satan supplies the teabags. Don't drink Tesco Value tea, for the love of god.
    :):)
    Yes - getting decent tea at a low price seems to be one of the biggest mysteries. Dacent black mouse-trottable tea that leaves the mug requiring the breadsoda treatment every week or so is hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I buy the McGraths irish blended tea packs in aldi,think they're around €2 for 240 bags. I like strong tea and coffee,it has to be dark brown even with milk in it and i find the above great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Hogzy wrote: »
    If you ever look at the nutritional value of, lets say, Kelloggs Corn Flakes Vs Dunnes/SuperValu/Lidl/Aldi/Tesco etc the Kelloggs brand will have the least calories, Sugar etc etc.

This is not true. Have a look before you jump the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Don't know if it has been mentioned before but Killeen Brillo pads sponges etc n tesco are te exact same I used to work there n the only difference is the packaging!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

angelll wrote: »
    I buy the McGraths irish blended tea packs in aldi,think they're around €2 for 240 bags. I like strong tea and coffee,it has to be dark brown even with milk in it and i find the above great :)

I can second that, the Aldi Mc Grath's irish tea bags are pretty good especially the 'reserve blend', AFAIK they are Bewley's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I don't know if it's still the case, but I used to work for the manufacturer of Fiacla and back then they contract filled for several own-brand lines and the only difference between Fiacla and any of those was the tubes.

Same product, same QA processes etc.

PinkFly wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been mentioned before but Killeen Brillo pads sponges etc n tesco are te exact same I used to work there n the only difference is the packaging!!

That's mad. I worked there too, and they're definitely different. The quantities (soap, etc.) are changed before getting near the production line.

EDIT: Sponges are probably the same, yeah, you'd be right there. The soap products are changed though, and the steel wool is different, too, as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

They might be made in the same factories but that doesn't mean the recipe is the same of the same quality ingredients are used or sourced from the same places.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Irishchick wrote: »
    They might be made in the same factories but that doesn't mean the recipe is the same of the same quality ingredients are used or sourced from the same places.
    If you compare the labels of the own brand with the branded product you will be able to see if there is a major difference. In the majority of cases there isn't any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Sorry to bump this, but I'm going to anyway! ;)

I was wondering if anyone knows who makes what in the new SuperValu's Own Brand range? Tried their sliced red cheddar the other day, and it was pretty good. No hint of the kinda plasticy look/feel to it like other "cheap" brands.

I observe Lidl have a new tea brand called Fallon's. The packaging is similar to name brands. Does anyone know who makes/packages this Fallon's tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

Lidl twittered in April that "Fallons Tea has replaced McKinleys. Same tea just new packaging".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Lidl twittered in April that "Fallons Tea has replaced McKinleys. Same tea just new packaging".

Maybe but it looks identical to Bewleys new packaging. If it is still McKinleys then I think thats made by Thomsons tea (Punjana) up North.

By the way Aldis tea McGraths and coffee comes from Robert Roberts in Tallaght, Dublin (scroll down): http://aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/best_of_ireland.htm?WT.z_src=main

Tina Leonard harping on about supermarket own brands and irishness again on Radio1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

O'Shea's Stout and Ales are made by Carlow Brewing Company, so it's basically O'Hara's Stout, Red Ale and Irish Pale Ale

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Big ad there a while back, think it was in Lidl's own catalogue, that in blind tests Fallons was preferred by people over Barry's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Lidl peanut butter is Duerrs peanut butter. Best peanut butter you can buy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement