Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are the ones to keep an eye out for?

Options
  • 01-03-2011 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I've been looking at the Irish music scene for a good few years wondering what is going on. We have so many talented musicians and bands in Ireland but yet our music scene seems to follow a reward system based on fickle trends. We tend to support overseas band rather than nurture our own, our live scene is poor to say the least with pubs looking for regurgitated covers instead of fresh original music. Therefore due to this we see a pattern emerging, from a time when Irish Rock bands were a plenty on an international scale (Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher, U2, The Cranberries and The Corrs) , to an era where Pop acts (The Script), acoustic artists (Vincent James McMorrow)and folk bands (Villagers) seem to get a lot of exposure leaving the rock and metal bands to fend for themselves like an endangered specie. So what I'm asking is, in a time where every has- been rock band seems to be reforming or releasing a best of to make a quick buck, who are the Irish Rock/Metal bands that you think we should keep an eye out for or, who from Ireland do you think could make it if given the proper stage to leave an indelible impression on a wider audience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

....our music scene seems to follow a reward system based on fickle trends. We tend to support overseas band rather than nurture our own, our live scene is poor to say the least with pubs looking for regurgitated covers instead of fresh original music.....

Can't agree with any of this.

You skim through the first few pages here, sure you'll find a lot of English acts coming over. But they're supported by local bands. Also there's a f*ckton of local gigs with original bands on nearly every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

chin_grin wrote: »
    Can't agree with any of this.

You skim through the first few pages here, sure you'll find a lot of English acts coming over. But they're supported by local bands. Also there's a f*ckton of local gigs with original bands on nearly every weekend.
    Maybe if you live in Dublin but guess what, three quarters of the country doesn't.

Malice wrote: »
    Maybe if you live in Dublin but guess what, three quarters of the country doesn't.

Enjoy your pop so.

Enjoy your pop so.
    What's to enjoy about it?

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaah I don't live in Dublin and couldn't be bothered to put together a simple Facebook group for metallers in my area if they wanted a metal night."

"Waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaa I don't bother with Irish Rail or Bus Eireann to get me to Dublin to gigs that I can buy cheap drink/party/kip with mates or just stay up the whole night and back the next day. "

Pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Don't agree OP. From what I can make out in Limerick even, there are plenty of bands (metal and otherwise). If a band is good enough, they will break through.
    There might be lots of metal bands around Ireland, but how many of them don't sound like a famous metal band? That's the key.....

I thought Galway was supposed to be the arts capital of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaah I don't live in Dublin and couldn't be bothered to put together a simple Facebook group for metallers in my area if they wanted a metal night."

"Waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaa I don't bother with Irish Rail or Bus Eireann to get me to Dublin to gigs that I can buy cheap drink/party/kip with mates or just stay up the whole night and back the next day. "

Pick one.

Was it really necessary to respond with this?

Op, I don't think comparing a band like the Villagers to metal is relevant. Metal has always been more of an underground music movement anyway, the mainstream tends to stay away from it when possible. I'm ok with that, let them listen to their nonsense, I'm happy listening to the mayhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Was it really necessary to respond with this?
    +1

Max Power1 wrote: »
    +1

This.

This.
    :confused: You're agreeing with the others who were wondering why you posted this?

• Advertisement

:confused: You're agreeing with the others who were wondering why you posted this?

Kansas City Shuffle baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

waah waah waah

*obscure internet reference*

obligatory "yeah baby"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Imma go against the trend and give an answer... So yeah the Cast of Cheers are pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ray C

There's a wealth of quality Irish metal bands out there. I don't live in Dublin, that doesn't mean that I'm alienated from the Irish metal scene. Many Irish bands release material and play around the country. Check out metalireland.com for info on bands, gigs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Ray C wrote: »
    There's a wealth of quality Irish metal bands out there. I don't live in Dublin, that doesn't mean that I'm alienated from the Irish metal scene. Many Irish bands release material and play around the country. Check out metalireland.com for info on bands, gigs etc.

This is in tune with my opinion.

Metal-wise theres plenty of great metal bands around the country doing very well for themselves. Primordial, Altar of Plagues, Mourning Beloveth and Darkest Era (who just got signed to Metal Blade) are a few I could name. Plenty of top quality material in the underground too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ray C

A few more: Mael Mordha, From The Bogs Of Aughiska, Council Of Tanith, Wreck Of The Hesperus, Warpath, Zombified, Killface, Wreck Of The Hesperus, Old Season, Coldwar, Altus Alstrum, Wound by Wound etc etc. There's plenty of variety in that list so there should be something for everyone's taste.
    Into The Void Records in Dublin stocks a lot of Irish releases.

I'm starting to worry about you chin_grin. First we had your oddball thread here and now we get your contributions to this thread. I don't know what to make of it at all...

Anyway, back on topic, another excellent Irish metal band are Mass Extinction

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Mass Extinction are, ironically, now extinct.
    They were a great band.
    There are loads of great Irish metal bands around these days with recent or "coming soon" albums/EPs.
    Warpath, Valediction, Vile Regression, Graveyard Dirt, Cruachan, Skewered, etc.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Shoctopus are touring round Ireland at the moment always put on a great show. Released their EP last year and I really enjoyed it. Jut classic heavy metal really, they've done covers of Ozzy and Deep Purple to give you and idea of their style.

They're playing in The Pint in Dublin this Sunday

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Are Carnun Rising and Belinus still on the go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

There are tons of decent irish bands around, its about getting out to the shows.

Keep an eye on moshspace/metal ireland.

Mass Extinction are, ironically, now extinct.
    They were a great band.
    That's a pity. I checked their MySpace page recently but hadn't seen any breakup announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Gama Bomb, love that band

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Are Carnun Rising and Belinus still on the go?
    Yes & Yes
    I believe there will be some movement and news on Belinus soon..

Advertisement