Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU 5th officer NO campaign!

Options
  • 28-02-2011 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Myself and another esteemed (:P) member of Boards.ie are setting up a small campaign to advocate a No vote in the upcoming referendum - Referendum 1 - on the new Students' Union 5th officer position.

We feel that in a time of severe funding cuts - which all will have felt through less tutorials, labs and lectures - spending €18,000 of the University's money on this position is unjustified and unnecessary.

Despite the kind of economic hood-wink-ism that some have chosen to pursue, this money is not being plucked out of fairyland: it is money that could otherwise be spent on front-line services and better things.

Our campaign will probably be limited to a number of cheeky posters! But if you want to help out in any capacity get in touch!

Thoughts? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Facebook page might be worth it too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

1++;

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

tumblr_led45g6eM41qc4j29o1_500.jpg

It's myself and Eliot that are doing this. If you'd like to help out then let us know. We'll be around campus at some stage between now and the day of the vote so keep an eye out for No posters. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

When's the vote? What can people do to help?

tracert wrote: »
    When's the vote? What can people do to help?

We'll have facebook page up and running within the hour (hopefully) so once that's up and running, be sure to "like it" and spread it around. We'll also be doing some postering so we may need some help with that. I'm not sure yet if we'll be flyering...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

x43r0 wrote: »
    tumblr_led45g6eM41qc4j29o1_500.jpg

:mad::mad::mad:

I'm very tempted to ban you for posting the most irritating meme in existence. Anytime I read "Cool story bro" I die a little inside. I just caused myself do die a little by typing it....

As for original topic: I don't know which way I'll be voting in regards to the 5th officer thing. I'll certainly read what you guys have to say though before making up my mind.

Updated the facebook page a tad. Check it out and share it to whomever may feel be interested in this issue. Remember, it's €18,000 of your money.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vote-NO-to-UCC-SU-5th-officer/129468283791660

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

isnt it employment for someone in the economy.

As for original topic: I don't know which way I'll be voting in regards to the 5th officer thing. I'll certainly read what you guys have to say though before making up my mind.

Thanks KnifeWRENCH. :) I'm going to make up a little 200/300 word point of view piece tonight outlining our position on why we're advocating a NO vote. Posters aren't really designed to communicate a long message like that.
    isnt it employment for someone in the economy.

I'm sure a few tutors have lost a bit of employment over funding cuts, and this won't help that. Economically, one can't really argue that things like this are good because they create jobs, because that argument fails to consider what the money would otherwise be spent on and whether those alternatives are better.

We think they are.

I posted a link to the facebook page on the facebook pages of College Road and Overheard in UCC. Both posts have since been deleted. Take from that what you will but the last time I checked it was the "Student's Union" and not the "Union of Certain Students".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Is there anyone from within the Students Union objecting to the 5th officer?

Byron85 wrote: »
    I posted a link to the facebook page on the facebook pages of College Road and Overheard in UCC. Both posts have since been deleted. Take from that what you will but the last time I checked it was the "Student's Union" and not the "Union of Certain Students".

Students' Union you mean. :P :D It's still up there, from what I can see?
    Is there anyone from within the Students Union objecting to the 5th officer?

It's hard to say. No one's come out against it, but no one's come out for it, either. One can presume that the current exec and those running for Comms officer agree with it, of course.

Here's the posters we've been sticking up:

attachment.php?attachmentid=150296&stc=1&d=1299172652

attachment.php?attachmentid=150299&stc=1&d=1299172652

attachment.php?attachmentid=150297&stc=1&d=1299172652

attachment.php?attachmentid=150300&stc=1&d=1299172652

Students' Union you mean. :P :D It's still up there, from what I can see?

It's hard to say. No one's come out against it, but no one's come out for it, either. One can presume that the current exec and those running for Comms officer agree with it, of course.

Facebook was acting weird earlier. It's still up alright. Apologies to all concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

For someone who hasn't been to college yet, can someone enlighten me as to what the SU officers actually do? In all seriousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 daithilinnane

@byron

I switched over facebook from the new layout to the old layout this morning, so it was a bit glitchy for a while there. No posts were deleted, just checked and your link is still there.

To answer the question on the SU stance. The SU Executive proposed this last year, with additional changes proposed again this year. This was also presented to student council. Considering that the executive approved it, I would take it that at least 50%+1 of them are in favour of it!:p

Any student is welcome to question that proposal or campaign for it, and the SU won't silence them.

As the current Deputy President, I am in favor it, as there is not enough time for one officer to fulfill both of those portfolios together. On the money issue, its coming from the registration fee, so its not money that would be going on tutorials...etc, its money specifically for student services like the SU, Clubs, Societies, Chaplaincy...etc.

As well as that, if the right amount of time and energy was given to the Commercial portfolio, it would likely become a money maker, and potentially pay for itself in time.

If anybody has any questions on this, or any other SU issue, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me at deputy@uccsu.ie or 086 383 6795.

Thanks,
    Daithi Linnane
    Deputy President
    UCC SU

Keith O'Brien should choose his words more carefully.

"Some people just like to say no and/or cause hassle"

It would be easy to dismiss us as rabble rousers but we're not. We simply don't believe that the position is worth €18,000 of student's money, hence the no campaign. I think it's unfortunate that Keith has to resort to petty remarks when we've done nothing of the kind.

• Advertisement

Indeed. One would expect the president of the SU to be more well-thought out, but all he's doing there is resorting to the lame "if you're critical of part of the SU then you're a hater" tactic.

This campaign isn't anti-SU. We make no value judgement on the current 4 person setup (in fact, I think we've complimented it on a number of occasions). It's comments like that that make student political discourse so damn ****e.

As I said, you'd expect better of the person who's supposed to be leading.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

+1 extra supporter!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Vilified

Funny how instead of addressing the very valid points that the deputy president posted you use ad hominem attacks on the SU president.

Doesn't say much for the validity of your arguments.

Vilified wrote: »
    Funny how instead of addressing the very valid points that the deputy president posted you use ad hominem attacks on the SU president.

Doesn't say much for the validity of your arguments.

Eh, I didn't attack the President. He attacked us.

"Some people just like to say no and/or cause hassle" - Keith O'Brien

I've addressed people with what my issues with the appointment of a fifth officer are.

Edit: But, just to clarify a little, here's the note I posted on our No Campaign facebook page last night.

"I believe that it is a needless role and the money could and should be put to better use. The university is supposed to be saving money and this has resulted in departments having to cutback on their expenditure. Why shouldn't this apply to the SU? It isn't ideal, yes, but we have to be pragmatic in such circumstances.

Having read the manifestos of the two candidates, I believe what they are putting forward are ideas that can be easily delegated among the existing members of the SU body and the Journalism soc.

UCC does not need to be marketed to potential advertisers or sponsors. It is a university with a student population of 20,000 people and is ranked in the top 2% of universities in the world. That speaks volumes more than what any commercial officer will ever be able to do for the student body."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Vilified

Still not addressing the valid points raised by the deputy president. My deliberate goading of you was to draw you into debate on it. I'd like to keep on topic and not discuss SU presidents, there's enough of that going on already.

You may not know this, but the SU budget is a provision catered for by the students. The money is not spent on things such as the university's deficit. It's not the university's money, it's the Students' Union's money.

The most valuable asset you can actually attain is another person who will represent the students and actively lobby student issues at the university along with the other 4 sabbatical officers. Somebody who will put pressure on the university to give more money to tutors and so on.

In short, much of the basis of your campaign is due to your ignorance of how and where that money is spent. That 18,000 is already in the budget for the SU. It's not being taken from any academic department or tutor's pockets. The registration fee pays for the SU.

As for the reputation of the college and so on, fair point. However it's the job of the officer to manage these deals. I have seen how much time it takes.

As for Journosoc, they are a society and should not have to do the work of the SU.

attachment.php?attachmentid=150299&stc=1&d=1299172652

No, they aren't.

The S.U can put the money to far better use than another comms officer. If they so desperately need one then they can set one up on a trial basis. Have two people, a comms officer and a vice-comms officer, and have it as an unpaid voluntary role. If it's successful as the SU seem to be prophesying, then they can expand on it from there.

I brought up the Journo Soc because both of the candidates, have in their manifestos that the college media needs to be managed better and have better content for students. That's well within the remit of the Journo Soc but also of the committee of The Express and The Motley.

For example from Aisling's manifesto:
    I want to develop free defamation training for all writers and editors, which will help them in any future
    careers in the media.

I want to work for better resources- Space, money and equipment are all lacking and sorely
    needed.

The collegenews.ie website requires a relaunch and overhaul to make it more competitive in the national student media market. I think that this is a project that has to happen if UCC is to step into the idea of new media and properly operate online, like all other university publications.

Just sending All Students Emails isn’t working; the SU isn’t communicating well. I’d like to see us produce a newsletter twice a year on paper, and distribute it for free on campus. Galway do it, DCU do it. We can do it, and quite cheaply too.

We don't need another officer to do that particular thing. That is well within the remit of the Journo Soc and the committees of the respective media on campus. All it takes is a bit of delegation and communication (see what I did there?? ;)) with the SU and the above mentioned organisations.

Similarly from Eoghan's manifesto:
    • Proper promotion of all SU events. Events such as the tramps
    ball should sell out with a little bit of focused promotion. Why
    have the union not been able to do so in the past?

• Student publications with more appeal to students. Satirical
    articles and interviews with celebrities.

The points I made about Aisling's ideas can be applied to this too.

I can't go down through both candidates' manifestos point by point as I don't have the time and neither does my cohort. Remember, there are only two of us doing this against the teams that Aisling and Eoghan have on top of the Yes Campaign that has been set up. To be honest, we didn't and don't expect to win the day. Myself and my cohort discussed this and all we're doing is highlighting an issue that we feel has been overlooked and/or ignored by the SU.

On the front of the latest issue of The Express, there's a headline about further cuts of 15% coming. I've also heard of talk about the Student Assistance Fund being cut and I think it has been cut already. With both of those in mind, the fact that the SU's funding hasn't been cut and they want to appoint another officer in a time when everyone has to cut back, is completely abhorrent to me.

As for Daithi's point about the funding coming from the registration fee, which i'm well aware of by the way despite your insinuation, that's fair enough. It's coming from the registration fee. That doesn't make it any less right. Conversely I can also see that it doesn't make it any less wrong. The registration fee in general needs serious looking at as it is; where certain monies are going and aren't going.

I hope the above goes some of the way to explaining my own personal motivations and beliefs regarding the issue. I can't speak for my cohort, obviously, but we're pretty much in line.

Also, I don't appreciate being goaded. All you have to do is ask me to respond and i'll respond. In future, I won't respond to such goading, which I think is fair enough seeing as we've had people assassinating our characters over the last few days. It's not what we wanted. All we wanted to do is to highlight the issue but I guess it goes with the territory.

Would just like to remind people that the voting starts tomorrow and myself and Eliot hope that you make the right choice. Here's something worth mulling over before you make your decision.

"By the way, there has always been commercial activity by the SU, so that side of things is nothing new. Voting no will will not change or affect that. It just means that the deputy president will be severely limited and student services will suffer as they have done in the past". - From the Yes Campaign

So everything has functioned up until now and nothing will change if there is a no vote, but unless a new officer is appointed, then services will suffer? That, like everything else, doesn't add up.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The communications thing can be handled very easily, I don't think there is a need for a paid officer position.

Since Byron posted the manifestos, I'll just give a few points on things
    I want to develop free defamation training for all writers and editors, which will help them in any future careers in the media imo that should be within the remit of the Journo soc to investigate and hold - defamation and how to avoid it are easy enough to sort, but the legal implications of things, for example having to hold any interview materials for at least 5 years.

I want to work for better resources- Space, money and equipment are all lacking and sorely needed. (I can't comment - don't know the story)

The collegenews.ie website requires a relaunch and overhaul to make it more competitive in the national student media market. I think that this is a project that has to happen if UCC is to step into the idea of new media and properly operate online, like all other university publications. There is a student run website, but the SU seem to shun it, its going national - why put a site in direct competition to it when it would have been much easier to contribute to it

Just sending All Students Emails isn’t working; the SU isn’t communicating well. I’d like to see us produce a newsletter twice a year on paper, and distribute it for free on campus. Galway do it, DCU do it. We can do it, and quite cheaply too. A newsletter? You have the express and motley for what then? Its a good idea in theory, but really shouldn't be necessary - have a column in the paper twice a year instead of what the comms officer is doing

I don't see why a paid position is necessary - have an officer and assistant, should be plenty with proper co-operation from the Express and Journo soc - and frees €18,000 for other things like the student assistance fund.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Byron85 wrote: »
    Would just like to remind people that the voting starts tomorrow and myself and Eliot hope that you make the right choice. Here's something worth mulling over before you make your decision.

"By the way, there has always been commercial activity by the SU, so that side of things is nothing new. Voting no will will not change or affect that. It just means that the deputy president will be severely limited and student services will suffer as they have done in the past". - From the Yes Campaign

So everything has functioned up until now and nothing will change if there is a no vote, but unless a new officer is appointed, then services will suffer? That, like everything else, doesn't add up.

TBH that sort of statement is crap imo! How will the deputy president be severely limited if there is an unpaid comms officer - having a joke with that one! I know how hard promotion etc is, involved in things at the moment and it does take time - but I fit it around things, between myself and fellow officer we get it done. If a fifth officer is need, bring it in on an unpaid basis first!

edit: the clubs exec has a PRO, as does the socs exec - what exactly have they done this year? Sigerson was on last weekend - I didn't see anything about it around college. You can't just wait and see if news comes on your lap, you have to go and get it! Being a small bit picky, but the R&G sign didn't go up till the Tuesday morning of R&G week - should have been the first thing seen by students Monday morning. on the collegeroad.ie website - under media it has the Express, Motley, Campus Radio and SU media emails

• Advertisement

On the eve of polling here is the campaign's perspective on the issue and our argument for a No vote to Referendum 1 and to a 5th officer that will cost us €18,000.

Our perspective.

On the 8th and 9th of March students of UCC are being asked to vote on Referendum 1. If it is passed, the Students' Union Constitution will be amended to create a new 5th full-time officer. The position will cost us €18,000 a year.

Last week's Express ran with the headline “Main source of university funding slashed”. It referred to the university's core grant, which is being cut by 15%. This is not, of course, the first time UCC has had to deal with funding cuts since the onset of the economic downturn. At this stage nearly every student has felt the effects of lower funding, principally through fewer tutorials and labs, and in some cases merged and distorted modules.

The new Students' Union officer won't help with the Union's core responsibilities – representing students on academic bodies, to university staff and on the national stage with the U.S.I. The new position will deal with extra non-essential things, like promoting UCC's student media outlets.

While the benefits of the position can be questioned one thing, at least, is for certain – this is the wrong time to be putting more money into the Students' Union. We need everything we have now to make sure that the education we get in UCC is the best it can be. Spending money on extra unnecessary SU activities is not the way to achieve this.

As such, we urge you to vote No to Referendum 1 on March 8th and 9th.

The Campaign Team.

:)

Advertisement