Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spinning classes

• 28-02-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,
    I am considering trying a spinning class but am worried I'm not quite fit enough. I hav been goin to the gym since about September and always do a lot of walking so I wouldn't b too unfit, but not very fit either. I am not hugely overweight but carry a few extra pounds.
    I have seen the classes taking place in another gym I used to be in and they look very strenuous!!
    Am just wondering if anyone of medium fitness has done spinning and how did u find it? I would like to try something challenging, but don't want it to be too much!
    Thanks for reading:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Floppybits

MinkyMoon wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am considering trying a spinning class but am worried I'm not quite fit enough. I hav been goin to the gym since about September and always do a lot of walking so I wouldn't b too unfit, but not very fit either. I am not hugely overweight but carry a few extra pounds.
    I have seen the classes taking place in another gym I used to be in and they look very strenuous!!
    Am just wondering if anyone of medium fitness has done spinning and how did u find it? I would like to try something challenging, but don't want it to be too much!
    Thanks for reading:D

Hey Minky,

I do spinning classes and you should be able to do the class but it will be hard for the first few times. I was out for 4 or 5 months and have only started back.
    If there is an easy spin class, this is usually about 30 minutes long rather than the usual lenght of 45 - 60 minutes, then you should do that one and see how you get on. The instructor should ask at the start of the class if there is anyone who hasn't done spinning before and they will be able to guide you.

Another good thing is that the resistance is controlled by you so if you feel that you are not able to keep with the rest of the class then you can ease off the resistance till you get fitter and more use to the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MinkyMoon

That's great thanks so much for the reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

MinkyMoon you should go ahead and give it a try. You are completely in control of your workout, so don't feel like you will be lagging behind. You control the resistance and how fast you pedal. So if the class starts feeling a bit much for you just slow down or put the resistance down.

A lot of people have a fear about going to Spinning classes when really they shouldn't. It took me months before I'd brave one and I was already fit to start with..so your not alone!

Good luck and give it a try!

Thanks gymfreak, that's really encouraging to hear u were putting it off too!
    I guess I have no excuse now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Hi all,
    I am considering trying a spinning class but am worried I'm not quite fit enough.

some great posts above, definitely have a read though this recent thread on the same topic too:
    Spinning Classes

pace yourself, you're in control...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Johnmen

I would defo recommend spin classes they are great i started doing them six weeks ago.I am not one bit fit and im also a smoker dont get me wrong its not easy it is a challenge but its worth it. The 1st class was hard but after that it did get easier and i also prefer the spin classes to the gym as the gym i would tend to give up the minute i feel pain as the spin classes you are doing the same as everyone else and you kind of think to yourself if they can do it i can do and i think i would feel abit embarassed if i quit half way through. defo worth it and you feel great after each class. O yea first time you do the spin classes the seats are not very comfortable and the next day you have a really sore behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Can anybody tell me if their are any of these classes in Waterford City and how much they cost. Do you pay per class etc or is it a fixed price for a certain number of classes.

Johnmen wrote: »
    I would defo recommend spin classes they are great i started doing them six weeks ago.I am not one bit fit and im also a smoker dont get me wrong its not easy it is a challenge but its worth it. The 1st class was hard but after that it did get easier and i also prefer the spin classes to the gym as the gym i would tend to give up the minute i feel pain as the spin classes you are doing the same as everyone else and you kind of think to yourself if they can do it i can do and i think i would feel abit embarassed if i quit half way through. defo worth it and you feel great after each class. O yea first time you do the spin classes the seats are not very comfortable and the next day you have a really sore behind.

Aah a sore behind:( oh well no pain no gain I suppose! :D
    Thanks a mill for all the replies, there very encouraging.
    Thanks also for the link to the other spinning thread, I'm new here so wasn't sure if there was already info on spinning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Aah a sore behind:( oh well no pain no gain I suppose! :D

padded bicycle shorts or a gel seat cover can help you 'adjust' :) if you do get a gel seat cover make sure the instructor checks your bike-setup again to ensure you leg/knee position is still good

7902_298.jpg

enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 colin31

hi,

i'm wondering if anyone know's of anywhere that would do spinning classes for a football team. looking to get it done a couple of times over preseason

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Aura in drogeda does it so I assume the other auras do it if there's one near by

• Registered Users Posts: 15 colin31

thanks but i was looking for something more local to dublin city.

does anyone one know of a personal trainer? i've been told they might do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clefro

Hi, might be able to help you at 1escape health club, smithfield. www.oneescape.ie they sponsor St Pats and do a similar thing for them. Great club and they offer hydrorider which is a great recovery session.
    colin31 wrote: »
    hi,

i'm wondering if anyone know's of anywhere that would do spinning classes for a football team. looking to get it done a couple of times over preseason

cheers

Advertisement