Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sunshine's Reading Log 2011

• 28-02-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

I've been neglecting reading for the last few months and just want to get back into it. As I'm aiming to read at least 50 books this year, I'm going to keep track of them here.
    I currently have a big stack of books that have been building up since before xmas as well as xmas present books, that I have to get through.
    It's a mixed bag of genres as I'll read anything that sounds interesting:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

1. Faithful Place by Tana French

A crime book based in Ireland by an Irish author. I like her style of writing-readable but riveting. I enjoyed it but it dragged very very slightly towards the end but not enough to put me off it.

4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

1. Faithful Place by Tana French

A crime book based in Ireland by an Irish author. I like her style of writing-readable but riveting. I enjoyed it but it dragged very very slightly towards the end but not enough to put me off it.

4/5

I was looking at this yesterday as my reading pile is sadly diminished to one book :eek: Might go and get it today seeing as you thought it was ok.

Caros wrote: »
    I was looking at this yesterday as my reading pile is sadly diminished to one book :eek: Might go and get it today seeing as you thought it was ok.

Yea, get it before you have no books left to read! Hope you enjoy it:)

2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

An unbelievable book. It's the first in a trilogy and even though it's classified as teen fiction, it captivated me so strongly.
    I read it in less than two days and it's been a long time since I've been that engrossed in a book!
    I definitely recommend it, starting on the second book today, hopefully it'll be as good:)

5/5

3. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The second book in this trilogy. It definitely lived up to the brilliance of the first book, with a few unexpected twists in it. Another without a doubt recommendation!

5/5

• Advertisement

4. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

A great end to an unbelievable trilogy. I really didn't believe that they would be able to sustain the story for a 3 book span, but they did and they did it well.
    So glad I gave this trilogy a chance, will definitely be re-reading it in the future.

5/5

5. Beyond Ugly by Constance Briscoe

This was an auto-biographical book, based around this woman who had been abused by her mum and step-dad and how she went on to train as a barrister. While it was very good, I think if I had read her first book, Ugly, I would have enjoyed this one a lot more as you would have been able to watch her grow and progress with her life.

3.5/5

6. No Ordinary Love by Anita Notaro

This was a bit meh. The storyline was okay but I found the writing to be a bit 'jumpy' or hurried. It's like the author was trying to squeeze in as much as possible and ended up just speeding through things. There were a few unexpected twists which were good, but overall not a book I'll be re-reading.

2.5/5

7. House Rules b Jodi Picoult

I've read a few books by Picoult and I love the way she's obviously put so much effort into the research for the main topic of the book. This was based around a boy who has asperger's syndrome and offered such an insightful voice to the syndrome. Definitely enjoyed it, but while I love really long books I do think this one was dragged out a little bit too much.

3.5/5

Advertisement