Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chevron Training

Options
  • 28-02-2011 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I've been looking into doing a distance learning course with this crowd (care of the elderly). Just wondering if anyone has studied with them and are they good, is the online system good etc.? Any info appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LH101

Hi you might have already made up your mind on this but I'm doing Childcare with Chevron at the moment and so far so good only 2months in ! the online really suits me with work and social life, they post up all you need including links and you can post any question up have on a forum and they respond really quickly (good as I was worried about been left to fend for myself !) Depending on your course the assesments will vary - I do In House days in a Dublin Hotel for exams and send projects and assignments through email ! If you're still considering the college give them a ring they are so friendly and helpful and will point you in the right direction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nix84

Excellent. Thanks very much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SS11

I too am also interested in signing up to the Care of the Eldery course with Chevron Training with distance training. Can I ask LH101 what the In House days are that u are doing in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dolly47

LH101 wrote: »
    Hi you might have already made up your mind on this but I'm doing Childcare with Chevron at the moment and so far so good only 2months in ! the online really suits me with work and social life, they post up all you need including links and you can post any question up have on a forum and they respond really quickly (good as I was worried about been left to fend for myself !) Depending on your course the assesments will vary - I do In House days in a Dublin Hotel for exams and send projects and assignments through email ! If you're still considering the college give them a ring they are so friendly and helpful and will point you in the right direction!
    Hi, LH101 are you still doing the childcare course with chevron? Im thinking of doing this in the new year too. Could you give me more info on the work experience module? Did u do any practice in creche? If so, how many hours are the requirement? Also, do u get a cert for each module from fetac (minor awards)? Thanks for any help you can give.

hi guys sorry i was away !
    I might be too late to help with info but just in case... the in house days are exam days as wih some of the modules you may have a witten exam o sit or a brief presentation and they are done on these days usually held on a sat or sunday every 2months. i'm currently working in childcare so work exp wasnt a problem I would strongly reccommend trying to find employment in the area before startin but if you cant its no problem . Work exp is approimately 40hours and the working in Childcare module also require a refelction on this work exp module. you also need to carry out a number of child observations through various age groups. you get a Component Certificate from FETAC for each module and when you complete all 8 modules you will recieve a Major award from FETAC...if you have any further questions let me know !

• Advertisement

Hi thanx for the msg. Im still looking to do the course. How hard (how easy) it is to find a creche that let u do the 40 hours work experience? I am currently working in a different industry and would like to do the course to change career. Thanks for any hint u can give !

well I wasnt working in the industry when I started and approached a local montessori and they were willing to let me complete the upaid work exp so I think it should be ok especialy if you still go to smaller privately owned companies but when i began working fulltime this was not needed. the work exp can be completed in one block or a day a week or a few hours here and there I is no logged as such but instead you must complete a learners journal based on experience. Chevron are very accommodating and will do their best to help you work around your current situation as they cater greatly for a change of career etc.

Thanks a lot for your help. One last question: since we are to spend 40hrs in a creche, do we have to complete the garda vetting form? How does that work?

If its just work experience garda vetting isnt a major necessity - it is only your employer that can apply and it can take up to 6-10weeks to get it back so try and contact a few places as soon as you can and then if it is a necessesity, ask for them to send it off and then dont do your work exp etc modules till then and start with the others but I dont think that would be an issue! any other questions just ask !

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ciara.smilie

Hi guys, I'm thinking about doing the montessori course with Chevron, was just wondering did anyone else here decide to do training with Chevron, and did you find them ok? this course with portebello is €1000 euro more expensive, i think because it is on site lectures and not done online!! So am strongly thinking about doing the online course instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

Hi - i am thinking of doing a course with Chevron as well (Special Needs) and would be very interested in hearing from anyone who might have done this. Have never done a course online .

Hi, 
    Thanks for all your advice! I wasn't able to start the course with chevron back in march because my partner was made redundant. I hope to start now in the next few weeks. 
    I'd have one last question: the assessments for some of the modules involve collection of work and skills demonstration, could you explain what this involves exactly? I am not working in the childcare environment so could life experience (i've a 3 yr old son) be helpful?
    Can you start with any module or is there a set sequence? Would you recommend a particular order? Which are the most difficult modules? Thanks very much again.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

Hi. Im too thinking of doing the montessori course. It seems to be the only fetac level 6 distance learning course out there. I plan on keeping on my full time job even though its a different industry. I would someday like to open my own montessori business does anyone know does this course qualify me to do so, or even a starting point?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jodub22

Hi I am just about to enroll with Chevron I am so intimidated at the amount of assessments and projects as I have not written anything more than a sick note for the past ten years but Im hoping ill get into the swing of things fairly quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NiamhM94343

Hi, Just wondering if anyone could help me.. I just started the childcare course with chevron and want to know how the exam dates work? The said i've two months per module but the next exam is in a month ? do I have to do this one or do I just sign up for one when im ready ?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

I'm doing care of the elderly course and was told you just do exams or send in projects when you are ready.

Was it easy or hard for people to find work experience?

Are assignment marked and returned quickly?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kazz89

LH101 wrote: »
    hi guys sorry i was away !
    I might be too late to help with info but just in case... the in house days are exam days as wih some of the modules you may have a witten exam o sit or a brief presentation and they are done on these days usually held on a sat or sunday every 2months. i'm currently working in childcare so work exp wasnt a problem I would strongly reccommend trying to find employment in the area before startin but if you cant its no problem . Work exp is approimately 40hours and the working in Childcare module also require a refelction on this work exp module. you also need to carry out a number of child observations through various age groups. you get a Component Certificate from FETAC for each module and when you complete all 8 modules you will recieve a Major award from FETAC...if you have any further questions let me know !

Hi all, I have just got all my login details and password and I am so confused!!!! Can anyone tell me what is the best way to start? If anyone could send me a layout or something. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.I would be grateful for any answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shiv1212

Hi,

Am about to sign up to above course would love hear any reviews any of ye done or dining course with chevron online.

Is full course with exception of work experience done online and assignments submitted on line, is there exams or all assignments projects work activities.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kazz89

Hi I am signed up with chevron the last 4 month's but I am only starting the course now. I am a little confused with how it all works. Do you have to do all your written modules off line and then type them out and send them? Also can you see a layout of the fetac level 6 childcare anywhere just so I could get a better idea ? Any information would be greatful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am doing a few modules with them too .
    If you click on start it shows the contents and projects shows the assignments .
    It seems to be loads of hand outs to read so far .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am doing a few modules with them too .
    If you click on start it shows the contents and projects shows the assignments .
    It seems to be loads of hand outs to read so far .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pockahocka

I have just signed up to begin the Healthcare course with Chevron. I am unsure how to go about it as I can't find instructions for assignments and projects . At the moment I am just reading through the module but don't know what to do next.
    If anybody can offer any help I would greatly appreciate it?

In the projects section at the top you can see your assignments.
    I think you need to learn it 1st then do your assignment.
    I have not worked it out to my satisfaction yet either!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Am I right in thinking that you learn online.
    Then go sit an exam for ever module ?

ok so i looked it up. They dont need you to sit for every module. just 4

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭broke1234

Hi just wondering what chevron is like to do online coarses with because I only have two modules in healthcare left to do care support and care of the elderly and was thinking about doing them online because my classes have now stopped till September :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sineado15

Has anyone done the special needs course with them? ?

no but did do it recently elsewhere and am doing other Chevron courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sineado15

R u finding it hard to study online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eveey

Hi I know these are old posts but im wondering if there is anyone out there who done or doing the special needs course with chevron..im unsure how to conclude the project and offer personal and professional learning and options and recommendations on the content of the project.ive an idea of what they want but dont have a clue where to start and what to write. if anyone could write an example so i could see how to write it out would be so much appreciated.

Eve

• Advertisement

level 5 or 6?

Advertisement