Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMUTERS: What do you like most about cycling?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

+1 on everything tomasrojo said above, to which I'd add the flexibility of cycling, i.e. I can stop at will for a shop, chance encounter, etc.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Agree with most of them, but a motorbike is faster.

That depends to a great extent on the nature of the roads and traffic. Motorbikes are essentially two-wheeled cars, in traffic terms, i.e. not allowed to use bus lanes or cycle lanes, not allowed to lane split, etc. Wherever a bike is faster than a car, it is also faster than a motorbike (or should be).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    +1 on everything tomasrojo said above, to which I'd add the flexibility of cycling, i.e. I can stop at will for a shop, chance encounter, etc.

That depends to a great extent on the nature of the roads and traffic. Motorbikes are essentially two-wheeled cars, in traffic terms, i.e. not allowed to use bus lanes or cycle lanes, not allowed to lane split, etc. Wherever a bike is faster than a car, it is also faster than a motorbike (or should be).

Motorbikes can filter through traffic, and no guard will ever stop one for using a bus lane. In city centre bumper to bumper traffic its much the same as cycling, but as soon as you're out of that, a motorbike is faster.

Bicycles are great for shortcuts. The canal has some good routes, and there's a handy one through Jamestown Rd/Kylemore Way near blackhorse that's handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Wakes you up.
    Guaranteed a parking space.
    You never need a hanky on a bike;)

Do ye commuter cyclists have shower facilities at work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

RoverJames wrote: »

That might be better as a poll in a new thread. Maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes I wouldn't do it if I didn't have a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No. Wet rag, dry towel, deodorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No. Wet rag, dry towel, deodorant.

Pete washes himself with a rag on a stick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Arriving awake. I don't know how I managed mornings before I started cycling.

Same here, if I didn't cycle in I'd just fall asleep as soon as I got in, really sets me up for the day

Yep but a packet of baby wipes will do the trick as well, I rarely use the shower though, I don't seem to stink to much, I think :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I do. Nowhere to put a wet towel though.

• Advertisement

Yes but I don't use it. Takes too much time. Use accessible loo. Has a sink, and loads of room. I bought in a few plastic hooks so I can hang stuff up. A change and a quick was takes 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Wash basin for me too. Bar of soap, face towel, baby wipes, towel and deo.

I do. Nowhere to put a wet towel though.

I hang mine in a press. With all the computers in the office is warm enough that most things dry very quickly.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Wash basin for me too. Bar of soap, face towel, baby wipes, towel and deo.

Baby wipes perfect for cleaning oil of hands (from puncture repairs etc). Also great for cleaningbike down without water. Alcohol in them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mookie2007

BostonB wrote: »
    I hang mine in a press. With all the computers in the office is warm enough that most things dry very quickly.

Just wondered what one of the following 3 commuters tend to do?
    1) Do you wear full cycle gear on your commute and bring your work clothes with you and change in work?

2) Do you wear over garments over your work clothes to protect them?

3) Are the clothes you wear on your commute acceptable in your work environment. Ie whatever you wear on your commute you keep on you all day?

Raam wrote: »
    Pete washes himself with a rag on a stick.
    A stick? Good idea.

mookie2007 wrote: »
    1) Do you wear full cycle gear on your commute and bring your work clothes with you and change in work?

3) Are the clothes you wear on your commute acceptable in your work environment. Ie whatever you wear on your commute you keep on you all day?

I qualify for both 1 and 3. I prefer to wear in my cycling gear and change but I can get away with wearing my work clothes in on the bike as most of the time we are allowed to be quite casual. One occasion where I forgot my clothes and head to wear my bike gear round all day. The ladies loved it, one even screamed (with joy and admiration I presume). There is another guy in my building who has a suit in his office that he puts on when there are important meetings but the rest of the time just wears his lycra round the place.

I used to have over garments but I found they acted like a lagging jacket and you would get to overheated no matter the time of year, NSFW (or fashion) in my opinion.

mookie2007 wrote: »

Its gonna depend how long your commute is. Under 20 mins you'd probably get away with work gear. Beyond that you'd probably have to change. Mine is about 40~70 mins. So I leave a gym bag in work will a change or two. Too hot to cycle in work clothes. or over garments for me.

CramCycle wrote: »
    There is another guy in my building who has a suit in his office that he puts on when there are important meetings but the rest of the time just wears his lycra round the place.
    Eh? Where do you work?

Eh? Where do you work?

UCD Health Sciences, he's a supervisor of some PhDs in the School of Medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wear full cycle gear on my commute but we moved a few weeks ago and I would be close enough now to wear my work gear on the bike without sweating (in winter). I prefer wearing the bike gear though cos it means I don't have to worry about sweating or rain or whatever and my work clothes are always fresh when I get into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

The daily exercise and arriving at work with a fresh head.
    I commute to work in cycling gea with my work gear in a courior bag, I shower and change at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The daily exercise and arriving at work with a fresh head.
    I commute to work in cycling gea with my work gear in a courior bag, I shower and change at work.

What he said. I bring in a week's clothes (inspired by somebody on here) on monday.

Sometimes I just sleep in work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Motorbikes can filter through traffic

And bikes can go the wrong way up a one-way street, though that doesn't make it legal. Filtering ('sharing a lane') is not currently permitted by the existing legislation, regulations, and rules of the road.

and no guard will ever stop one for using a bus lane

I'm sure the Guards have their reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that this isn't permitted either.
    In city centre bumper to bumper traffic its much the same as cycling

No. In city centre traffic, riding a motorbike is exactly the same as driving a car. Unless you're behaving illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I have a short enough commute but I have to wear a suit in work which wouldn't be ideal for cycling. I wear some class of shorts, trainers and a t-shirt/fleece when I cycle. I have suits in the office, which I get dry cleaned near work and I bring shirts in and out in the pannier.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

I spend all day trapped in a room in front of a screen under fluorescent lighting. There are people who do this, then leave the office (often by car, often in traffic), then go to another room and exercise (often on a stationary bike) in front of another screen under florescent lighting. The reason I like cycling is because it saves me from this objectively insane mode of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

First ever cycle commute into work for me today. Went great, I think I have spent more time messing about with my lock and trying to figure out where to put my clothes than I did cycling in though. I'll get a routine for that.

Enjoyed the cycle in from Malahide to town, there was less traffic on the roads than I thought. Don't feel too tired but the trip home could be tough as its mostly uphill.

So far so good, beats the misery of the train/bus any day. No going back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

I love so much about cycling...

I love the freedom it gives you. Having a car means your tied down in so many respects. (I just rent a car whenever I really need one, about once every 2 months)

Its predicable the time it will take me to get to work... to probably within a minute or two.

If there are people going for drinks after work I never need to leave early because of the car (I don't really drunk cycle but would cycle after 3-4 pints).

If I need to do something at the opposite side of town at lunch I can.

I can fix almost everything on my bike myself.

At the weekends I have great adventures cycling to places I've never been before.

I get fresh air every day.

I like that people think I'm crazy when I arrive at work on a stormy day with a massive grin after cycling through it.

I can eat whatever I like and not put on a belly cause I "train" every day...

To be honest the only thing I don't like about it is when I tell people I cycle they assume I'm a tree hugging hippy... If it was 10 times worse for the environment then driving I would still cycle every day...

Also I friggen love commuter racing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

StaggerLee wrote: »

Enjoyed the cycle in from Malahide to town, there was less traffic on the roads than I thought. Don't feel too tired but the trip home could be tough as its mostly uphill.

Im in malahide too, once you get out past drumcondra its very fast home from there. Are you going the malahide road way or the swords road/airport way?

Advertisement