Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle Whiskey.

Options
  • 27-02-2011 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I'm only after hearing that there might be a distillery in Dingle in the near future, and that the Porterhouse group is involved.
    This is great, great, great news to me. :D

Does anybody have any information on this? I've looked at their website, but there's not really that much information there, other than the prospective(and intriguing) whiskeys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The only thing I have seen is www.dinglewhiskeydistellery.ie but that was ages ago not sure if the site is still there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There's a Micro-brewery back west.
    I think the distillery you mention may be the one below.

"But it hasn’t all been plain sailing. Ambitious plans to open a whiskey distillery in Dingle, Co Kerry, earlier this year foundered when property prices crashed.

‘‘We had hoped to open the Dingle distillery six to eight months ago, but it has been very problematic," said Hughes. ‘‘It has now been relocated to the Fitzgerald Sawmill site in Dingle, but without our local partner, so we’ll be going it alone."
    http://www.sbpost.ie/newsfeatures/business-interview-oliver-hughes-porterhouse-52556.html

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LiamOSullivan

That's a shame, but the sawmill isn't far(and is closer to me anyway. ;))
    Also, the microbrewery's ale(I've only tried their dark ale, not sure if they have others) is pretty good. I think they're called Beoir Corca Dhuibhne.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think they're called Beoir Corca Dhuibhne.
    That's them. There were plans for another brewery in Dingle itself, but I don't think that's happening.

Yeah, that's a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

The Distillery has been a pipe dream for over 2 years now so we just have to keep our fingers crossed on that one. A distillery is a very difficult and ambitious project no matter what scale because of the time involved and the costs. You basically have to wait 6-10 years (Idealy 10) before you have any decent product to sell which is a long time for some investor to wait. Also you have to guage how much whiskey you need to produce today to sell in 10years. A hard call for anyone without a crystal ball.

Whiskey only legally becomes whiskey 3years after it has been stored in cask however you need to be very careful when releasing a new product. If you release it too early and it is not close to a half decent whiskey you run the risk of alienating your customer base before you even have a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Technoteze

Hey there guys,

I'm alittle late to the game here but I only came across this thread while registering domains for the Porterhouse.

I can confirm there will be a distillery in Dingle and the Porterhouse is behind it. It's a fairly ambitios project that taken a while to get off the ground but I'm happy to say it's well on it's way.

If you like you can head over to http://www.dinglefoundingfathers.com/

The founding fathers is the initial kick of the distillery where, if you like are able to purchase your very own, one of a kind whiskey cask. As a founding father you will have some other benefits one being an annual meet for a special dinner and what not. I deal with more of the back end but if you are looking for more information you can email Oliver at oliver@dingledistillery.ie.

Registration on the site is free and you can download more information from the site.

I hope I've managed to shed some light on this for anyone who's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

has dingle got its own whiskey produced in dingle

Not yet. The first batch will be distilled soon but it can't be sold for three years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Has this any connection with the Tom Crean brewery? When I was down in Dingle earlier in the year I dropped in there for a look around. While chatting to one of the guys there I asked him if they had any plans for a second beer. He told me that they didn't any time soon, but that if they decided to add a second product it would most likely be whiskey rather than beer.

Zaph wrote: »
    Has this any connection with the Tom Crean brewery?
    No. They'll be the second distillery in Dingle. We're heading for a golden age of Irish whiskey. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

A distillery going to open in slane as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Jack Teeling, formerly MD of Cooly, is due to open a distillery also i believe. Currently selling a blended batch of whiskey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

bamboozle wrote: »
    Jack Teeling, formerly MD of Cooly, is due to open a distillery also i believe. Currently selling a blended batch of whiskey.

About a year ago Jack was offered several barrells of 30 year old scotch from one of the better scotch houses (highland i think) and he bought them all, he has since bottled them under the name "Tealing Whiskey Co." and you can buy it from select outlets and bars around the country, he has since given some of the barrells the whiskey came in to the lads at 8 Degrees and they are currently ageing a special brew in them which will be released by the end of the year, hopefully. The 8 degree lads had a picture a while back of Jack helping Scott and Cam mash in on the special brew.

there seem to be a good few distelleries operating around the country, my favourite brew still guinness,
    why then if the first batch of whiskey will not be ready for three years, are they already advertising something that they cannot supply at the moment,
    i have seen it advertised but then if i wanted to try a bottle i cannot obtain it for three yrs,
    would it not be better to hold on until it could be sold and then go all out with it, at food fairs and so on

goat2 wrote: »
    if i wanted to try a bottle i cannot obtain it for three yrs
    Or you could go to Celtic Whiskey now and give them €35. Whatever's handiest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

BeerNut wrote: »
    Or you could go to Celtic Whiskey now and give them €35. Whatever's handiest ;)

Sure if they have only began distilling how can they be bottling or is it not "officially" whiskey??

Sure if they have only began distilling how can they be bottling or is it not "officially" whiskey?
    It was contract distilled by Cooley before the takeover. There won't be any more of this.

It was contract distilled by Cooley before the takeover. There won't be any more of this.

So "Dingle " is only a brand not where it is distilled? Quite a good idea really

• Advertisement

So "Dingle " is only a brand not where it is distilled?
    It isn't distilled anywhere at the moment. The Distillery itself will be up and running in the next few weeks.

Updates are on this site, inexplicably unlinked to the main Dingle Distillery website.

It isn't distilled anywhere at the moment. The Distillery itself will be up and running in the next few weeks.

Updates are on this site, [B]inexplicably unlinked[/B] to the main Dingle Distillery website.

I don't get it :confused:

I don't get it :confused:
    What don't you get?

It isn't distilled anywhere at the moment
    inexplicably unlinked to the main Dingle Distillery website.

What is highlighted

Ah. Well the first one I (thought I) explained here:
    The Dingle Whiskey now on sale was produced prior to the end of contract distilling at Cooley. Contract distilling no longer happens at Cooley, so it's not distilled there. The first run of Dingle Whiskey in the Dingle distillery hasn't happened yet. So, right now, no Dingle Whiskey is being produced anywhere.

The second one is just that it's odd to have a company website and a company blog on two totally different websites completely unlinked to each other. Odd, to the point of inexplicability, IMO.

'Dingle Gold' whiskey leaves me feeling a little confused

Sir, Two weeks ago I spent a few days in Dublin and during my stay I paid a visit to The Porterhouse in Temple Bar. Inside, there was a big blackboard advertising three types of 'Dingle' whiskey that was four, eight and 16 years old. Of course I had to sample a couple of them.

Now, I have lived in Dingle all my life (which has been considerably longer than 16 years) and as far as I know there is no working whiskey distillery in the area. However, I read in The Kerryman of August 29 that "work has started on setting up the Dingle Distillery at a premises in Milltown, Dingle and production is expected to begin before the end of year."

All this left me wondering how on earth was I able to sample 16year-old ' Dingle Gold' whiskey two weeks ago if production has not yet commenced in Dingle?

As far as I can see - and the site is visible from outside my front door - the distillery has yet to even open. So does that mean that this whiskey has been made elsewhere and a label with 'Dingle Gold' placed on the bottle?

The name suggested to me that the product was made in Dingle but I do not think that what I sampled in Dublin could have been made there. Is the label making use of the town's well known name? If so, it may be confusing for consumers as the name might suggest they are consuming a product made in Dingle. I am not sure that I would be comfortable with that if the product is indeed made elsewhere.
    Sincerely, Lorna Holderied, 140 The Wood, Dingle.

Taken from The Kerryman newspaper

Still want a bottle of it though :o

i beleive they have started distilling dingle whiskey in dingle this weekend,
    good luck to them,
    i look forward to tasting some when it is on the market.
    heres hoping it goes well, and become another very successful product, made in kerry, to come out of kerry,
    if you think of successful products,
    you have killarney glass.
    brian de staic jeweller,
    pottery,
    cheeses,
    dingle crystal,
    you have artests,
    poets,
    writers,
    i know there are many more, that more of you can think of.

Taken from Radio Kerry this morning,Seems like a planning application may halt work,Hopefully this red tape can be removed as soon as...Dying to get my hands on the Dingle Whiskey

Kerry County Council has issued a warning letter to the company behind a distillery which opened last week in Dingle.

The council sent a letter to Porterhouse Brewing Company alleging that the company had carried out certain works that required planning permission.

Last week, 20 jobs were created with the opening of the Dingle Whiskey Distillery.

The distillery, based at the old Fitzgerald saw mill, is the latest venture of the Porterhouse Brewing Company.

However, the planning section of Kerry County Council issued the company a letter alleging that certain works had been carried out which required planning permission.

The council says it has since received an application for planning retention for works carried out on the structure.

Oliver Hughes, CEO of the Dingle Whiskey Distillery, says the company is not in breach of planning regulations.

He says the building has been used for industrial purposes since the 1800s and his company has not altered the use of the premises.

He says therefore the works carried out did not require planning permission.

Mr Hughes says his architects have been in communications with Kerry County Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 beermaster1

Taken from Radio Kerry this morning,Seems like a planning application may halt work,Hopefully this red tape can be removed as soon as...Dying to get my hands on the Dingle Whiskey

Kerry County Council has issued a warning letter to the company behind a distillery which opened last week in Dingle.

The council sent a letter to Porterhouse Brewing Company alleging that the company had carried out certain works that required planning permission.

Last week, 20 jobs were created with the opening of the Dingle Whiskey Distillery.

The distillery, based at the old Fitzgerald saw mill, is the latest venture of the Porterhouse Brewing Company.

However, the planning section of Kerry County Council issued the company a letter alleging that certain works had been carried out which required planning permission.

The council says it has since received an application for planning retention for works carried out on the structure.

Oliver Hughes, CEO of the Dingle Whiskey Distillery, says the company is not in breach of planning regulations.

He says the building has been used for industrial purposes since the 1800s and his company has not altered the use of the premises.

He says therefore the works carried out did not require planning permission.

Mr Hughes says his architects have been in communications with Kerry County Council.

The distillery has applied for full retention which has not breached any planning regulations,The works that were carried out did not need planning.Well,thats my view of it...Also looking forward to Dingle Whiskey and have tasted the wonderful Dingle Gin & Dingle Distillery Vodka

• Advertisement

Kerry Co. Council has always been a pain in the wrong side as far as planning goes. No surprises here.

Advertisement