Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does Gerry Adams actually live?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

How did he manage all those homes on the average industrial wage, I wonder?

The ignorance is outstanding here. Anyone who bought a gaff before 2000 and had a steady wage or in Adams case a Westminster wage(plus Assembly wage) could comfortably afford a house in pre-Celtic tiger Ireland as housing was dirt cheap for anyone who had a job.

If you had indicated that those houses were bought after the year 2000, we would all be asking questions on affordability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

gurramok wrote: »
    The ignorance is outstanding here. Anyone who bought a gaff before 2000 and had a steady wage or in Adams case a Westminster wage(plus Assembly wage) could comfortably afford a house in pre-Celtic tiger Ireland as housing was dirt cheap for anyone who had a job.

If you had indicated that those houses were bought after the year 2000, we would all be asking questions on affordability.

The ignorance appears to be yours in that you seem to be unaware that Sinn Fein trumpet that none of their elected representatives receive more than the average industrial wage with the surplus being returned to the party.
    Therefore, my question stands - how the hell could Gerry Adams afford three homes on the average industrial wage (incidentally, the British one is lower by a significant factor than the Irish one.)

The ignorance appears to be yours in that you seem to be unaware that Sinn Fein trumpet that none of their elected representatives receive more than the average industrial wage with the surplus being returned to the party.
    Therefore, my question stands - how the hell could Gerry Adams afford three homes on the average industrial wage (incidentally, the British one is lower by a significant factor than the Irish one.)

Anyone in Ireland on the average industrial wage could afford a home. He is in his 50's by the way, some of those houses were probably bought when we were a basket case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

johno2 wrote: »
    Nope, I'm from Limerick.

johno

Very big. 3rd biggest whiskey distillery in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

The Manor of Northstead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Anyone in Ireland on the average industrial wage could afford a home. He is in his 50's by the way, some of those houses were probably bought when we were a basket case.

A lot of his voters probably wish they had so many homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Not a lot is really known about gerry adams really is there?? I asked a sinn fein person a while ago about gerrys personal background ie family rescedence etc and he didnt seem to know a lot of personel stuff about him or he wasnt saying, are these things not important to the voter??

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

n97 mini wrote: »
    Very big. 3rd biggest whiskey distillery in Ireland.

and there is only 3.Right?

I think Gerry has had that place in Ravensdale for a while but I could be wrong. I believe he owned a house beside my home place in Carlingford too. But I'm unsure if that is just a rumour since I never saw him around.

He likes walking in the Cooley Mountains, so did a lot of the IRA during the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

How did he manage all those homes on the average industrial wage, I wonder?
    He's an author of quite a few books dont forget
    Mary Lou McDonald did that last election running in Dublin Central and it was a big topic and possibly one reason she was rejected

People don't kindly to parachute candidates
    People forget that the FG candidate for Louth O'Dowd is from Tipperary so Adams wont be alone in that respect in Louth. Pat Rabbitte, Eamon Gilmore, Pat Carey, Charlie Haughey are some other so called parachute TD's.
    Mary Lou was rejected because the SF candidate she replaced was Nicky Kehoe and he's very popular in the Cabra part of that constituency, and Bertie recieved a high first preference which enabled him to hand a seat on a plate to Brady aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

His address would be listed on the ballot paper, maybe someone in the area can tell us what was listed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

mal1 wrote: »
    No, there are 5. Cooley is very big, and is the biggest Irish-owned. Fair balls to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

n97 mini wrote: »
    No, there are 5. Cooley is very big, and is the biggest Irish-owned. Fair balls to them.

My father used to work there in the 80s so i still think of it as being small.

In relation to Adams address on the ballot paper, I came home to vote but didn't look at Adams on the paper itself so can't help on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Dotsey wrote: »

People forget that the FG candidate for Louth O'Dowd is from Tipperary so Adams wont be alone in that respect in Louth. Pat Rabbitte, Eamon Gilmore, Pat Carey, Charlie Haughey are some other so called parachute TD's.
    Mary Lou was rejected because the SF candidate she replaced was Nicky Kehoe and he's very popular in the Cabra part of that constituency, and Bertie recieved a high first preference which enabled him to hand a seat on a plate to Brady aswell
    Hardly the same as O'Dowd moved to Drogheda at a young age and went to secondly school there. So has been in Louth for pretty much all of his life.

Nope, there's actually four. The same company own the fourth one too. They're no boutique operation, if that's what you're asking.

cordub wrote: »
    Not a lot is really known about gerry adams really is there?? I asked a sinn fein person a while ago about gerrys personal background ie family rescedence etc and he didnt seem to know a lot of personel stuff about him or he wasnt saying, are these things not important to the voter??

Gerry doesn't like his background being looked into too closely. When people do, all sorts of nasties fall out, like covering up for an allegedly child-abusing brother for example. Incidentally, wasn't the aforementioned Liam Adams a big cheese in Louth Sinn Fein at one point? Maybe he gave Gerry his gaff. :rolleyes:

But Gerry wasn't in the Republic. He was supposedly on the British average industrial wage, which at one point recently was around a third less.

And now he's a Southern resident, I greatly look forward to seeing how much tax he is exempted for his literary endeavours under Section E.
    We'll soon see if that adds up to a property empire or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ted1 wrote: »
    you do not have to be a resident. Just an irish citizen. You just say five hundred euro or collect thirty signatures of people living in the area or lastly obtain a political party nomination.

Indeed, as an Irish citizen resident abroad, I can stand for election but not vote despite having residential property in Ireland (which I believe I will have used more often than Gerry Adams).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

My father used to work there in the 80s so i still think of it as being small.

In relation to Adams address on the ballot paper, I came home to vote but didn't look at Adams on the paper itself so can't help on that one.

Cooley Distillery was being reopened in the 1980s courtesy of the business expansion scheme (what would be characterised today as a large tax avoidance scheme). It takes years to build up enough stock to getva decent whiskey blending business goin. They've got quite a few brands going (Connemara, Inishowen etc) but I imagine the supermarket own label stuff accounts for a lot if the production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

And now he's a Southern resident, I greatly look forward to seeing how much tax he is exempted for his literary endeavours under Section E.
    We'll soon see if that adds up to a property empire or not.
    I think a lot of his heavy selling books have been and gone like the autobiography and peace process etc.. To be honest if Adams had murky personal finances I dont think he'd run for election and I'm sure the revenue commissioners and CAB have long since looked at him and decided there was nothing there that shouldnt be there

• Advertisement

I think a lot of his heavy selling books have been and gone like the autobiography and peace process etc.. To be honest if Adams had murky personal finances I dont think he'd run for election and I'm sure the revenue commissioners and CAB have long since looked at him and decided there was nothing there that shouldnt be there

Since he was a British resident until a matter of weeks ago, I imagine that the revenue commissioners have never had the opportunity to consider his finances until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Since he was a British resident until a matter of weeks ago, I imagine that the revenue commissioners have never had the opportunity to consider his finances until now.
    That is so true I personally find it unbelieveable that his party is doing so well , it doesnt seem too long ago that he was banned from IRISH tvs and the big uproar there was when he was to appear on the LATE LATE SHOW.what a difference a few years make and how our memories fade with time!!!:mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Gerry has no fixed abode :D:D:D

But Gerry wasn't in the Republic. He was supposedly on the British average industrial wage, which at one point recently was around a third less.

He is supposed to have bought a holiday home in Donegal at one point pre-boom. Lots of UK residents have bought homes there since the 70's where property was very cheap to those who could afford it.

If you feel so strongly about it with allegations of some sort, get onto the Gardai to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

he would have had to have a residence in Louth to register as a candidate there.
    no he wouldn't
    candidates don't have to live in the constituency.

Advertisement