Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coca cola

Options
  • 24-02-2011 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Does anybody know how long it takes for the cravings to stop once you've given it up? I stopped drinking it 6 days ago, was drinking about 2 litres most days for the past few years. it's extremely addictive psychologically, I find. Anybody got any stories? :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭rocky

3 weeks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

2 litres a day for years? That's unreal.
    I'd never give it up completely, everything in moderation :D

I know a guy who was similar to you, eventually gave him serious stomach problems so he tried to cut it out. Now he just drinks a can now and again, always has a craving for it but stops himself. I think he took up coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 traveller80

I used to drink a lot of coke too..not as much as you, but it was still tough to give it up. What helped me kick the habit was to have a cup of tea instead (no sugar - you get used to the taste after a while, and now i hate sugary tea). It will stop the caffeine withdrawal.

Of course, im now totally hooked on tea :rolleyes:.. but its a lot healthier than coke. And coke just tastes pretty horrible to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Elohim wrote: »
    2 litres a day for years? That's unreal.
    I'd never give it up completely, everything in moderation :D

I know a guy who was similar to you, eventually gave him serious stomach problems so he tried to cut it out. Now he just drinks a can now and again, always has a craving for it but stops himself. I think he took up coffee.

I drink 3L a day, every day.:)

Congratulations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Maybe have the odd latte or just a plain cup of coffee? It could be the caffeine you're hooked on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 animaniacs11

Thanks for the replies people.

@ elohim - about your friends stomach problem.. was it ulcers? one of the reasons i want to stop is that i know it could lead to stomach ulcers in the future. I'm young enough and I want to avoid inflicting that upon myself when I'm older.

@ traveller80 - not drinking tea as a replacement! don't want to get hooked on something else. actually I don't really feel a craving for caffeine after 7 days, it's more of a craving for the sugar and a general psychological desire to consume coke in particular, if that makes sense.

@ challengemaster - I'd say 4 litres is the upper limit of what I've drank in a day, but probably only once or twice. Sometimes drank between 2 and 3 litres but generally it would be 2 litres or less!

Thanks for the replies people.

@ elohim - about your friends stomach problem.. was it ulcers? one of the reasons i want to stop is that i know it could lead to stomach ulcers in the future. I'm young enough and I want to avoid inflicting that upon myself when I'm older.

I think it was something like that. He never told me everything. He was in his early 20s at the time and the doctor prescribed him some serious drugs for a good while. Had to stop drinking fizzy drinks for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

I gave up before it took about 2-3 weeks. the important thing is not to switch to diet. I feel diet is even more addictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Cosimo Salvatore

I've been free for almost 6 years now. It was very difficult at first, I needed alot of help. I've been attending CCA for 5 years now. It really helps to talk with other people who have had problems with Cola. It may take time, but it gets easier over the years. Good luck to you, I hope you can get clean. Remember, Water is the only drink for a wise man.

• Advertisement

Remember, Water is the only drink for a wise man.

Rubbish, coke is fantastic. No need to go overboard though, just drink it now and again.

Elohim wrote: »
    Rubbish, coke is fantastic. No need to go overboard though, just drink it now and again.

That's what I used to say. I'm in no way saying you have a problem, but if you ever feel like cola is starting to consume you, then there are groups out there that can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

That's what I used to say. I'm in no way saying you have a problem, but if you ever feel like cola is starting to consume you, then there are groups out there that can help you.

i think once you start dreaming about cola, that's when you know you have a problem.if your dreams include you taking baths in it...going for walks with it...going upstairs with 2ltr bottles of it then your best bet is to ring CCA.they're very understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

I think I need to join DCA! Im hooked on diet coke :(. I cant start my day with out a diet coke fix. I know I love the caffeine but I think there is more to it than that. Any one I know that drinks diet coke drinks ridiculous amounts of it.
    Id normally get through 2L a day.

Two litres a day ? That's too much DC. You should really try and cut down. If you feel you can't manage that, then give DCA a call, there's really nothing to worry about. Everyone is really friendly and will make you feel completely at ease. I can PM you the number if you wish.

I'd also like to sincerely thank the OP for starting this thread. Fair play to you for admitting you have a problem. Too many people abuse Cola and it's great that people feel they can open up and talk here about the problems associated with Cola abuse.

Your right Cosimo, its really is too much, but I just cant control myself.

Yesterday I drank so much my hands started shaking and my head was pounding. I was paranoid as hell and my eyes where dilated and darting around like a mad mans.

Buts its the buzz I just cant give up, all that lovely bubbly brown, with its delisous caramel taste.

There is just noting like the click of the first can opening in the morning..................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Coke is the nicest soft drink out there imho.

Time was when I only drank coke. By that I mean no milk, no water, no orange juice. Just coke. For weeks on end. I generally drank between 2 and 3 litres per day, every day, for 12 years. I kid you not. I always had a can or a bottle close by. Always. No effect on my teeth whatsoever. The amount of excess calories it was giving me were immense. Also, many of the cravings I had for coke were actually just thirst.

I gave up regular coke almost a year ago. I now have maybe 3 or 4 cans of Coke Zero per week, sometimes less.

Tremelo wrote: »
    Coke is the nicest soft drink out there imho.

Time was when I only drank coke. By that I mean no milk, no water, no orange juice. Just coke. For weeks on end. I generally drank between 2 and 3 litres per day, every day, for 12 years. I kid you not. I always had a can or a bottle close by. Always. No effect on my teeth whatsoever. The amount of excess calories it was giving me were immense. Also, many of the cravings I had for coke were actually just thirst.

I gave up regular coke almost a year ago. I now have maybe 3 or 4 cans of Coke Zero per week, sometimes less.

Did you not suffer any medical problems due to this? Seems extraordinary if you didn't! I'd imagine your liver and kidneys and pancreas must have been put under a lot of stress. Did you feel thirsty/ dehydrated a lot? Do you drink much water now? How hard was it to give up coke? ... this is like an interview isn't it!!

Did you not suffer any medical problems due to this? Seems extraordinary if you didn't! I'd imagine your liver and kidneys and pancreas must have been put under a lot of stress. Did you feel thirsty/ dehydrated a lot? Do you drink much water now? How hard was it to give up coke? ... this is like an interview isn't it!!

Amazingly, I'm in top condition. Absolutely no ill-effects whatsoever. I drink no more or no less water than average and don't feel thirsty outside of what is normal for all people. When you consider that I drank so much coke, and ate nothing but processed junk in similar proportions for the same amount of time, it's amazing my body coped so well over the years and has rebounded so brilliantly in the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Diabeteslicious!

The sweetner (High Fructose Corn Syrup) consumption is way up there when it comes to developing Type II Diabetes.

True story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Two litres a day ? That's too much DC. You should really try and cut down. If you feel you can't manage that, then give DCA a call, there's really nothing to worry about. Everyone is really friendly and will make you feel completely at ease. I can PM you the number if you wish.

I'd also like to sincerely thank the OP for starting this thread. Fair play to you for admitting you have a problem. Too many people abuse Cola and it's great that people feel they can open up and talk here about the problems associated with Cola abuse.

I thought the talk of CCA and DCA was sarcasim at 1st but now I'm confused. Are you serious ? is the such a group ?

Carra23 wrote: »
    I thought the talk of CCA and DCA was sarcasim at 1st but now I'm confused. Are you serious ? is the such a group ?

oh i just thought it was funny, (although i do drink that much dc) :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Ive been clean 2 years now, It gets easier with time.

Pepsi Generation

I don't drink alcohol (I don't like the taste or sensation). When I used to drink coke, I hated it when people I barely knew would casually say to me in the pub: "Coke? That's bad for you!" while they guzzled down 6 or 7 pints or drank shots to the point of drunkenness. Their attitudes amazed me. We all have our vices, and bad and all as coke might be, it creates none of the social trauma that alcohol frequently does.

Tremelo wrote: »
    Amazingly, I'm in top condition. Absolutely no ill-effects whatsoever. I drink no more or no less water than average and don't feel thirsty outside of what is normal for all people. When you consider that I drank so much coke, and ate nothing but processed junk in similar proportions for the same amount of time, it's amazing my body coped so well over the years and has rebounded so brilliantly in the past year.

Wow, just goes to show how resilient the human body is! Was there a reason you gave it up?

Wow, just goes to show how resilient the human body is! Was there a reason you gave it up?

I just suddenly wanted to be slimmer and healthier. I embraced a healthier outlook, exercised, ate good foods, drank more water, and the cravings just vanished pretty quickly. It was an attitudinal change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Plasterer Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I used to be addicted to coke too. I had a job that was extremely active but very long hours and my diet was shocking. I'd go through 2-3 cans a day. No idea why but i've never been able to stand the taste of it from a plastic bottle but there is nothing nicer than an ice cold can of coke.

I gradually weaned myself off it when I changed jobs. I find green tea is great once you get the taste of it as its bitter so eating or drinking somethign sweet after tastes bad. I'd still have a coke at the cinema or the odd time at weekends. I just don't allow myself to drink it during the week I just drink green tea or water in the office and I have found if I don't have it in the house its easier.

That said sometimes only an ice cold coke will hit the spot. I'd no serious side effects from drinking so much of it for a good while either my teeth were never very bad just the odd filling and no other side effects.

Can't touch diet coke though - whatever chemicals its laced with give me the shakes its awful stuff.

Advertisement