Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Noonan - ''we should pay our way''. RTE radio one

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Em, isn't the issue here not who is paying what tax to what degree. It seems to me that FG are signalling their intention to continue the FF policy of being good little boys in the hope of getting a "Good doggie, good boy" from their European owners.
    Its a sad truth that those most in thrall to having power and control are the happiest to hand the same type of power to someone else.

This is why I cannot in good conscience vote for them. Theyre almost certainly going to drop the bloody lifeless irish citizenry at the feet of their masters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

The whole system is flawed and corrupt in my opinion, there needs to be more measures to ensure benefit cheats cannot operate and people in genuine need of help receive it without a doubt, and also any wealthy people who cheat the system too with dodging tax through various loop holes etc need to be stopped and their funds received by the state as is appropriate. Saying that there are alot of honest people on benefit and also honest wealthy people, just a few in each quarter give the rest a bad name.

Also the more you earn should mean the more you pay, if i was on 100,000 a year id happily pay a higher tax rate, people can live on 50,000 a year after tax for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What are these mythical tax avoidance schemes for £100k earners?

I am the proprietory director of a small ltd company, and I pay loads of income tax, something around 50% of my earnings. TBH I've stopped looking at the payslips. The only way I could legitimately avoid large amounts of tax would be by selling the business, but that's a one-time thing.

There are loads of ways to evade tax, but tax evasion is illegal and I'd have to do my own accounts as my accountants would never sign it off.

As I understand it, if you're the sort of businessman who buys and sells companies (e.g. private equity type) you can avoid income tax and instead pay capital gains at a lower rate, but most business owners in this country are not those sorts of people.

Maybe I just need better accountants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

bitofyoung wrote: »
    Wrong.
    The top 20% of income earners pay 80% of income tax.

What do the top 0.1% pay?

The guy at the top 20 percentile is middle class. There is a difference between income and class - middle income is working class. Servants were middle income in the years gone by - except for those in top 20 percentile ( like head cooks, and butlers). The rich were the rich.

in talking about bailing out the rich we are talking about bailing out the real rich. But I have already posted on this.

And this: David Drumm paid 10K out of 10M. ( 10M being > 100 times what the guy at the top 20th percentile earns).

Capitalism's biggest trick is convincing people on high middle income that they are rich.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Anybody who went to see u2 is partially to blame for this.

Bono and his gang of uncool protestants exported 300 million this year in tax-free earnings.

Lumen wrote: »
    and I pay loads of income tax, something around 50% of my earnings. .

Good man..i'm public service and the govt gets 60% of MY earnings.

Degsy wrote: »
    Anybody who went to see u2 is partially to blame for this.

Bono and his gang of uncool protestants exported 300 million this year in tax-free earnings.

Bono and U2 do not have to live here. They are the first rock stars to do so.

And, get over U2.

I wanted to come back to the people who think it is about the deficit, not the bank bailout.

The problem is the interest charged on the deficit not the deficit. 18BN sounds like a lot but it is not the reason why Ireland is finding that interest rates are 6-9%. Its about 18BN of Ireland's GDP. The UK has a deficit of 11% of GDP and has no problem getting funding because the bank bailout does not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Degsy wrote: »
    Good man..i'm public service and the govt gets 60% of MY earnings.

How are they managing to get 60% of your pay?

• Advertisement

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    How are they managing to get 60% of your pay?

Because they're bastards.

Advertisement