Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacks on Cyclists - frequent?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 4:36am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been getting into cycling a lot lately but I'm a bit concerned about the danger I cant prepare for, deliberate attacks from people.

I have had people, "young men of questionable morals", shout abuse, run out in front of me to make me swerve on busy roads, and tonight I had a full can of beer thrown at me by a gang of youths of intemperate disposition.

Can I expect a lot of this on my evening expeditions?

Still its probably safer than walking the streets of Bray...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

On what route are you getting this abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

I was travelling up Bunting Road a few weeks back and a group of about 7 or 8 lads, aged about 15-18 were sitting on the opposite wall, watching me. I thought it was a little strange then I caught site of something in my path a few yards ahead, looked like a rock so I hopped over it as I was fairly moving, rather than going around it. Just as well I did too. The lads had put what looked like some broken concrete fencing interwoven with now manged and twisted steel wire going in all directions. I couldn't see the wire until I got close as it was evening. If it had tried to go around the conrete part the steel wire would have caught in the spokes and done some serious damage. The lads had planted it in the cyclist's path trying to take one out by the looks of it. I stopped, went back and flung it over the fence in to the Park (Pearce?). I'm sure they went and reset the "trap" after I had gone but could have been a big spill and plenty of damage to me and the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

Was out on a road spin last week, coming back in toward home on a country road (near Limerick City, yes I know, no sniggering down the back :)), a car was coming by me, suddenly felt an almighty whack on my lower back/arse, some young fellas thought it would be great fun to hit me with something as they passed (looked like a 2ft 3x2 piece of timber). I was so shocked it didn't dawn on me straight away what they had done. I picked up the pace to try and get close to see if I could get a reg. But they were pretty much gone, continued on in the road, I spotted the car reversed into a laneway, they obviously got such a laugh the first time that they would try it again. They followed me a again this time but I was wise to them as they drew up behind me again I whipped the bike across to the other side of the road, blindsiding them in a way and luckily they drove off as another car came up behind.

So I am on the lookout for a 00 LK 3??? silver 5 door Astra with no hubcaps, I reported it to the Gardai, but I know there is little they can do without a full reg. I reckon they were students having laugh as it was rag week in one of the colleges close by, if they were the usual Limerick scobes, I think I'd be bikeless and in hospital :(

Just to note, I'm cycling over 25 years and this is the first time this has ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ride around UCL and start smacking some asses. That's what I would do. Start with the hotter women, then work your way down to the moderately hot ones. At that point, I would feel justice has been served and move on.

Pull some wheelies too, chicks dig wheelies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A Newbie reading this tread would think that cycling around Dublin is dangerous. so just to balance things out a bit, here's my story.

I've been cycling 50klm per day, most week days this year, and so far.....NOTHING. Not one incident to report.

Its not that bad you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

07Lapierre wrote: »

No not all bad. I'm cycling in Dublin over 5 years and only ever had the incident mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

didn't a guy get knocked off his bike by youths in lucan last year and they stole his bike?
    Never any trouble like that in Drogheda!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Some coke and a half empty can of beer are about the worst of it for me - and someone spat at me once. The spitting and the beering took place in the same spot (different times) so I just avoid that spot now.

I do know someone who had a dog thrown at him - it's probably one of those things that you shouldn't laugh at it, but it's difficult not to. And for anyone who's wondering, the dog was fine (it ran away), the unfortunate cyclist suffered a broked wrist.

The longer term trauma of having his "mates" come up behind him making barking, whining and yelping noises has yet to fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just to mention, the only incidents I've ever had were about 4 years ago, when one kid tried to scare me by putting his hand in front of me as I cycled by, a drunk in Rathmines who stopped in the middle of the road and tried to shoulder-charge me (didn't work) and a snowball at Portobello in December.

Attacks are very rare. I imagine though it may also depend on the look of the rider themselves as to whether someone will risk it. I imagine that smaller, slighter cyclists, as well as women or younger men (i.e. under 20) tend to be targetted. If you're taller and/or not exactly with a cyclist's build and/or you look like you're an "adult" I imagine that kids will think twice before doing anything.

That said, someone driving by in a car will be pretty cocky that you can't catch them. I guess since most of my mileage is city streets, no-one's going to risk doing something when I'll just catch them at the next junction.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

Thanks for the replies everyone. I should clarify that I'm only talking about deliberate threatening actions not "sorry, didnt see you" traffic dangers.

The incidents I've encountered occured in bray and on the N11 out to glen of the downs, nothing like having people roaring and throwing stuff as they pass within two feet at 60mph...

I think some of it may be because I'm wearing a high-vis jacket and a helmet, cycling clips, lights, maybe if I was a ninja cyclist they just wouldnt see me. :rolleyes:

Though surprisingly more than one person told me they thought I was a Garda ;)

Edit:
    Appearance wise I'm 5'10 and no spring chicken, not above hammering on the side of a van as I'm being run into a ditch (funny story!)

Friend is a serious cyclist and he reports all the same stuff on particular routes in Bray, notably Killarney rd and the main road through little bray around Cork Abbey. Anywhere teens gather to drink really,which is most of Bray. Nice town... Thats what got me wondering about the safety of sitting on plenty of € while encountering all kinds of weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

seamus wrote: »
    Just to mention, the only incidents I've ever had were about 4 years ago, when one kid tried to scare me by putting his hand in front of me as I cycled by, a drunk in Rathmines who stopped in the middle of the road and tried to shoulder-charge me (didn't work) and a snowball at Portobello in December.

Attacks are very rare. I imagine though it may also depend on the look of the rider themselves as to whether someone will risk it. I imagine that smaller, slighter cyclists, as well as women or younger men (i.e. under 20) tend to be targetted. If you're taller and/or not exactly with a cyclist's build and/or you look like you're an "adult" I imagine that kids will think twice before doing anything.

That said, someone driving by in a car will be pretty cocky that you can't catch them. I guess since most of my mileage is city streets, no-one's going to risk doing something when I'll just catch them at the next junction.

The catching someone at the next junction happened to me once,about 18 months ago, had an impatient guy beep me several times, albeit he had more than ample room to pass me, when he eventually did, he shouted some obscenity out of the passenger side window, and was promptly stopped 100 metres down the road by a red light. His passenger side window went up very sharpish as I pulled up alongside him and asked what his problem was. The funniest part was the driver trying not to notice that I was there. I am not a small person, at the time of this incident, I was about 18 stone:(

note to the OP, this incident happened in Bray;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kurley

Once saw a "youth" block a cyclist ahead of me one evening. The other cyclist flung his water bottle at the youth, catching him square in his face. The lads mates all fell around the place laughing while the cyclist stopped picked up his bottle and cycled on.

I was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

07Lapierre wrote: »

+1 on this. I've been commuting 10 miles each way into Dublin for nearly 3 years, as well as training spins during the week and at weekends, and have only been yelled at once - never attacked. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I doubt it's a common occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I once had a rock thrown at me, from some distance, by a group of kids in the inner city. I (foolishly) chased them but was foiled by their knowledge of alleyways.

Nearby, on a separate occasion, I also had a solitary 8 year old shout 'here mister, you smell like sh1t'.

Attacks on cyclists, based on my experience, are very infrequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kurley

lukester wrote: »
    I once had a rock thrown at me, from some distance, by a group of kids in the inner city. I (foolishly) chased them but was foiled by their knowledge of alleyways.

Nearby, on a separate occasion, I also had a solitary 8 year old shout 'here mister, you smell like sh1t'.

Attacks on cyclists, based on my experience, are very infrequent.

What would you have done if you caught up to them? If you had touched them in anyway you would be in trouble for assault as there is no way it could be justified as self-defence. The incident I mentioned in my earlier post would probably not qualify as self-defence either.

Kurley wrote: »
    What would you have done if you caught up to them?

Nothing, other than shout at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

• I have had the following thrown at me:

Half full bottle of water with lid off - once

Empty Coke can (once)

Egg - 2 separate occasions (but they only managed to hit me one of the two times)

Stones (little ones, more like pebbles really, hurled in handfuls so only a few manage to hit you) - twice

Snowballs - 5 or so times

• I have also had little scummy kids play chicken with me on their bikes about 3 times.

• People have jumped out in front of me (for the laugh) forcing me to swerve into traffic about 10 times or so

This may seem like a lot but I've been cycling daily for 11 years now so, relatively speaking, it really isn't! Most days are completely uneventful. The times that people have f*cked with me haven't been an issue really, just kids being obnoxious.

The only times that I was really upset was the time that the egg hit me and the half full bottle of water because these where thrown at me from cars. So basically, two upsetting incidents in 11 years. That's not too shabby at all!

Don't worry about what could happen because it's most likely not going to. Just enjoy being on the bike :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭RoisinDove

I just have to laugh that some people think attacking them and scaring them for the laugh is the norm or that 2 major and over 20 'minor' (IMO not that minor) innocents in 11 years is nothing. Showed this thread to a Dutch friend and she was just confused, she said 'why would anyone do that?' I mean, even making someone swerve into traffic is potentially fatal, what if there had been a lorry right behind you? I just really don't get the Irish (and British) culture of attacking people just for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Haven't had attacks but then I avoid the bad areas. Will always take the Chapelizod bypass rather than cycle through Ballyfermot at night for example.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

RoisinDove wrote: »
    Showed this thread to a Dutch friend and she was just confused, she said 'why would anyone do that?'

Lack of sex and weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

RoisinDove wrote: »
    I just have to laugh that some people think attacking them and scaring them for the laugh is the norm or that 2 major and over 20 'minor' (IMO not that minor) innocents in 11 years is nothing. Showed this thread to a Dutch friend and she was just confused, she said 'why would anyone do that?' I mean, even making someone swerve into traffic is potentially fatal, what if there had been a lorry right behind you? I just really don't get the Irish (and British) culture of attacking people just for fun.

I'm not saying I condone that kind of behaviour. I just refuse to let it get in the way of an enjoyable spin. If I got worked up about those incidents then it would take away from my enjoyment of being on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Cycling 3 years - Nothing major to worry about.

Can of coke thrown at me that missed - got the reg - reported - good talking to their parents by the cops.

Got startled by someone driving up slowly and shouting in my ear at the Sallygap but was climbing so no real risk of a crash.

Few nice ass/legs comments from the ladies :cool: ...and a few male youths :confused:

Pleasantly surprised not to be snowballed when commuting at 8-10 kph past a few gangs of chungfellas during the snow/ice.

If I see anyone dodgy/drunk on the footpath I just move out to the centre of the road until I'm past them.

It's the Aircoach and N11 bus drivers that scare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Had the odd taunts by a cars full of lads off to go knacker drinking in Howth on a sunny day
    Happened a few times,

Had stones thrown at me twice by well known blackspot, Labre Park on the Kylemore Road in Dublin.

If you know the area, you know why. There have been a few incidents there that have made the national papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭LCRC_BAX

The track in Crumlin can attract plenty of unwanted attention from local hoodlums. We had an incident last summer where a guy ran onto the track, stood waving at the finish line (as a bunch sprint approached) and as he was manhandled for his own safety off the track he punched a rider in the face. Cops were quick on the scene but he was offside by then.

Few weeks later the track was 'burned' by placing bollards on it & setting them alight. 2 incidents probably related.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

9 out of 10 days, I have no problems cycling around in Dublin, and I do that for 6 years now.

But when it happens, it is always during the night (between 9 and 10pm approx) and always in the same areas: Lower Clanbrassil Street up to Christchurch and Upper Dorset Street (coming from the City Centre) where the City Council Apartment blocks are.

Sometimes, kids (7-12 years) jump on the road on purpose or shoot with pellet guns (aiming at my head), and sometimes they throw different objects, ranging from cans to footballs.

Two incidents though were outstanding:
    Last November, Friday night, 9:15pm approx, Dorset Street, one guy between 15 and 18 years old, I would assume), wearing a hoodie, chasing after me for at least 100 meters, trying to push and kick me off the bike, blabbering something like 'gives us a light' 20 times. He was surely not running into me by accident.

And Monday night, same area,same time, about 10 of them hanging around in the yard of the City Council Apartments, same age as above, playing football. One of them shooting the ball right at me, missing my head by a few centimeters, his mates encouraging him by screaming things like 'get that pr***'.

It's good that I am an experienced cyclist, always keeping an eye onto the side of the road...otherwise I might be a red stain on the road now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I get stuff thrown at me every few months. It's not pleasant, but it's never done any damage.

I have had four very intimidating road rage incidents in the last ten years (which I think would be about 70000km of cycling), but since I cut most of the North Circular Road out of my commutes, and stopped trying to stick up for myself in the face of bullying, I have had no further problems. In one of the road rage incidents, I strongly suspect from the driver's behaviour that some cocaine use might have been involved. I assume that cocaine use is down since the recession started.

Attacks are definitely rare, it should be emphasised, and I suffered no injury at all in the four incidents.

Lars1916, can you not change your route?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Lars1916, can you not change your route?

No. First of all, it is the shortest way home, and secondly why should I? I don't want to give those sc**b*** the feeling that they win ;)

• Advertisement

It probably seems a bit weak, but I'll do anything for a quieter life.

Advertisement