Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melatonin OTC in Ireland?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hi

Do you need a prescription for melatonin, or can you get it over-the-counter in a pharmacy?

Not looking for medical advice - just inquiring about the availability of this.

What is the best OTC sleep aid? Valerian/Natrasleep doesn't help me much.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mtsachev

Melatonin has nasty long term side effects (I've read) and bad withdrawal (personal experience).

I would advise you to solve the root cause of your problem rather than using melatonin.

I think valerian should be the safest and probably OTC medicine. Melatonin might be prescription only in Ireland, don't know myself.

You might want to try something milder first like chamomile tea or warm milk before bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

You might like to try this product.

lullabylogo_Icon.jpg

Ive been making my coco with it and I dont know but I think its good.
    Well its a lovely idea and it seems natural, kind of tastes like milk use to taste.
    Its a bit more expensive than other milk but might be worth it.
    Anyway website says
    Ardrahn Lullaby milk is produced on the farm at Ardrahan.

This process is as follows at Ardrahan,

The cows are milked in our parlour in the morning before daylight. The milk is then piped through a plate cooler bringing the temperature down to 4 degrees.

It then flows through to the pasteuriser. It is pastuerised for 4 seconds at 73 degrees. It is then cooled to 4 degrees and bottlled.

It is kept in our cold room of 4 degrees. As it is a farmhouse produced milk it reaches the shop shelf much sooner than ordinary milk.

We test the milk regularly to ensure that we are always producing the highest quality milk that meets everyone's expectation.

It is created in the dark, as the animal sleeps, and has naturally higher levels of melatonin.

Melatonin is a natural substance found in all our bodies. The night time hours enhance the level of natural melatonin in the milk. It helps our bodies to regulate our sleep-wake cycles allowing our body clock to switch off naturally.

Ardrahan Lullaby Milk is pasteurised but not homogenised. Therefore, it retains all its natural goodness so shake well as the cream will settle on the top ot the bottle. Ardrahan Lullaby Milk can be enjoyed hot or cold.

Advertisement