Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddys Day

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

Codofwar wrote: »
    Good ideas so far, the only problem is the scottish licensing laws are rubbish, its all about being responsible and that crap, cant give away free booze or be shown to encourage binge drinking! Thats kinda what paddys is all about.

There are 2 other irish bars within a few hundred meters of here and they are keeping their promos quiet until they hear of ours, one of them is going to undercut us regardless anyway, its just what they do.

We are hoping to get live music in during the day, not diddly i stuff but irish rock type stuff mixed with good old classics. Guy on a guitar with a drummer I think.
    People are gonna come in but as someone pointed out its keeping them here is what im trying to acomplish!
    The green pints is easy, just a bit of food dye in the glass!

It's the same in England re ; alcohol promotions ,Get a special events notice and extended hours, you need to apply for it now I think, it's only about a tenner and you get as many hours as you want( depending on your council)pack the bar by telling every one that if you are not in by 11 say then you don't get in, not sure how you would fare with a cover charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Codofwar wrote: »
    Good ideas so far, the only problem is the scottish licensing laws are rubbish, its all about being responsible and that crap, cant give away free booze or be shown to encourage binge drinking! Thats kinda what paddys is all about.

There are 2 other irish bars within a few hundred meters of here and they are keeping their promos quiet until they hear of ours, one of them is going to undercut us regardless anyway, its just what they do.

We are hoping to get live music in during the day, not diddly i stuff but irish rock type stuff mixed with good old classics. Guy on a guitar with a drummer I think.
    People are gonna come in but as someone pointed out its keeping them here is what im trying to acomplish!
    The green pints is easy, just a bit of food dye in the glass!

Try and get a Flogging Molly tribute band, they have very lively energetic songs, sort of traditional with a rock twist. Or else blare their music out the doors, maybe with some Thin Lizzy too, this would make me want try out a pub [on Paddy's Day].

Abit gimmiky maybe, but ye could give out free shamrocks/leprechaun hats etc., and have some games if it is a studenty place -
    If it is not a studenty place, you could advertise the free hats and things for children. Have green icecream and treats. Never underestimate children's pester power: "Mammy, I want to go into that place!"
    It depends who your main clientele are though -
    Are they students or locals?

Food:
    If it is more of a family pub, then a special Paddy's Day menu for the adults, and cheap snacks or free goodies for children could be good.
    If it is more studenty, baskets of cocktail sausages, chips, chicken goujons, pizza maybe?

Again, depending on the type of place, the barman could invent a new cocktail for the day. Green, and very strong on the alcohol.

Karaoke for later in the evening, focusing on Irish songs with prizes for winner might be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Turn yourself into a non-Irish pub.

Best St. Patrick's Day I've had in a bar had none of that paddywhackery crap and actually got more Irish punters in than the "Irish bar" on the same street.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Thanks for the ideas guys,
    After the meeting we are giving away t-shirts and having select drinks cheap, live music during the day and more music at night, an irish based menu and prob decorate a little but not over the top,
    We are more a studenty pub in the sense that it wouldn't be advisable to encourage kids in on paddys and a cover charge just seems a bit mean. It would work but for paddys day we dont want to be charging folk to come into an Irish bar on paddys.

Cheer for the ideas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

serious reply: mix it with cheltenham and offer discounts on drink if/when there are irish winners. for example, when an irish horse wins sell all drink with a pound off til the next race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Great idea that I might rob but slightly different as selling drink at a reduced price depending on winners and for only a short period of time is illegal here as it is deemed to encourage binge drinking.
    Good idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Didn't St Patrick convert pagans to Christianity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Didn't St Patrick convert pagans to Christianity?

No he ruined the reptile section in Dublin Zoo...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

What about some sort of
    Promotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

Real grass on ground (friends of mine in belgium were in the pub had grass on the floor on paddys day).

tayto crisps

sean nos karaoke or irish rock ballad karaoke

pint of guinness pulling competition

Bingo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

setup a boxing ring and a chicken coup in the back room. have the pikeys box each other and cock's ripping each other apart while some red headed girl does a jig to a bunch of toothless old men playing fiddles and tapping their foot repeatedly.

Also have a poteen still all fired up from some epic alcohol to spur the pikeys on.

oh and complain about the weather alot for that truely irish authentic pub effect.

Dionysus wrote: »
    Get rid of the television....

With Cheltenham on! The op is not looking for very easy ways to keep people out of the pub.

I'd definitely go along with doing some things to tie in with the racing. Also if you show the club all-ireland finals you might draw in some extra Irish people, you would need to advertise it though and have it on a separate tv to the racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Free Midnight Mass...
    Get the red lemonade in for the mixers...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

How has no one mentioned the "shamrock on the head of the Guinness"?

Its practically a tradition!*

*The Fúcking foreigners love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

a snake charmer:)

Advertisement