Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Exploits - Official & Custom Firmware

Options
  • 23-02-2011 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Following on as we mentioned earlier, we are taking some of the load off of the big PS3 thread, in an effort to clean up the information and make it more accessible.

We've had good indications from a similar Limux thread, so with this thread I think it's a good idea to move all firmware discussion/problems etc here.

As of now, there are the following choices:

Sony Ofiicial Firmware 3.56v2 (the v2 was introduced to repair a bug in the original 3.56). Homebrew removed due to new private keys, PSN requires this firmware.

GeoHot Custom Firmware 3.55 - This fimrware only supports pkg's signed using GeoHot's PS3 signing tools. It also does not support being able to use Syscall 36/37 (Peek & Poke), meaning backup managers do not function on this firmware. No PSN.

Waninkoko's 3.55v2 - Waninkoko's second attempt at CFW, after his first attempt proved to completely brick old models that had the 256Mb nand. Syscall 36 & 37 have been patched in, it will install signed & non signed pck's, & there's another function that allows the user to dump the contents of LV1 (Hypervisor) through LV2 (GameOS). There is also a new payload introduced, which is a combination of PL3 & Hermes. This payload will apparently not work with other cfw's. No PSN.

Kmeaw's 3.55 - Much the same as Waninkoko's, syscall 36 & 37 have been patched in, it can install signed & non signed pkg's, the payload can be selected via Kmeaw's LV2 patcher. It doesn't support the dumping of Lv1 through Lv2 to my knowledge, but that's really only a dev feature anyway. No PSN.

Wutangrza's 3.55 - Much the same as GeoHot's, with the exception that Lv1 & 2 is or can be patched allowing Backup Managers ro run. No PSN.

That's the jist of it so far.

Which firmware are you using? 50 votes

Official Firmware
    0% 0 votes
    GeoHot 3.55
    26% 13 votes
    Waninkoko 3.55 (v1 & v2)
    6% 3 votes
    Kmeaw 3.55
    6% 3 votes
    Wutangrza 3.55
    62% 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

We allowed to post which one we are currently running guys??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

madmoe wrote: »
    We allowed to post which one we are currently running guys??

I don't see why not, it'll be important for the thread. Once we keep away from PSN bypass hacks etc & backup managers then I'll be happy enough. The thread can be used for installation problems, compatibility issues, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Add a poll to the top, what CFW are you using, public where we can see who voted for what.

Voted.

I'm on 3.55 Kmeaw as well gents.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Saying No PSN in first post in relation to cfw, is inaccurate, it is still possible if you know what your at (you could say PSN possible, with console ban risk associated with it).....just saying :D
    from what ive read, only geohot cfw peeps have been banned so far ???

Kmeaw 3.55 here !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Official 3.xx here, been so long since I turned it on I don't even know anymore :D

Soon joining your ranks though, you filthy pirates :pac: :P

Official 3.xx here, been so long since I turned it on I don't even know anymore :D

Soon joining your ranks though, you filthy pirates :pac: :P

Good man, will that be on the new one you won? Had you one already? What FW it running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

iPwnage wrote: »
    Saying No PSN in first post in relation to cfw, is inaccurate, it is still possible if you know what your at (you could say PSN possible, with console ban risk associated with it).....just saying :D
    from what ive read, only geohot cfw peeps have been banned so far ??

Probably better that we don't go down the route of offering advice on how to circumvent it imo... I think the stance here should be that you can either use CFW or have access to PSN, your choice! (sorry for bringing the thread OT already...)

Kmeaw 3.55 here and I intend to stay that way! (bring on xbmc!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭M00lers

madmoe wrote: »
    Good man, will that be on the new one you won? Had you one already? What FW it running?

Wrong fella madmoe.:D

from what ive read, only geohot cfw peeps have been banned so far ???

Kmeaw 3.55 here !!

It is accessible via a man in the middle spoof with digital certs, & I wouldn't expect it to last long. So for reasons that it's a blatant authorisation hack, I don't feel it warrants attention here. Every poster here knows what can & can't be done, it's just handy having a place where we get some personal advice in a clean environment.

• Advertisement

i'm not saying it warrants attention, or offering advice on how to go about it, but saying its not available is false information, thats my point, i mean you say which cfw allow for backup managers and those that dont, same kinda thing... is all...whatever tho

i'm not saying it warrants attention, or offering advice on how to go about it, but saying its not available is false information, thats my point, i mean you say which cfw allow for backup managers and those that dont, same kinda thing... is all...whatever tho

Well let me makes this simple for you, on any of the above listed CFW's you cannot access PSN unless you perform the authorisation hack with the certs. None of the CFW's offer native PSN access anymore, & there's no 'false information' in that.

fair enough kid

Apparently 3.60 is about to be released after some PSN maintenance tomorrow...we get the epic feature of being able to back up 150MB worth of game saves to the Sony cloud...just incase your multi GB internal hdd is full :rolleyes: Still no incentive to update, (psn excluded of course).

EnterNow wrote: »
    Apparently 3.60 is about to be released after some PSN maintenance tomorrow...we get the epic feature of being able to back up 150MB worth of game saves to the Sony cloud...just incase your multi GB internal hdd is full :rolleyes: Still no incentive to update, (psn excluded of course).

They must have a dedicated pointless feature team to help them try to justify the new fortnightly firmware updates! :pac:

Inquitus wrote: »
    They must have a dedicated pointless feature team to help them try to justify the new fortnightly firmware updates! :pac:

I have to keep reminding myself about psn as I don't use it, but other than that it's nothing, literlla ynothing of use in the real world. The cloud storage thing seems like a complete gimmick, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

The cloud storage thing seems like a complete gimmick, what's the point?

It's in case one of the security updates bricks your PS3 :p

red_fox wrote: »
    It's in case one of the security updates bricks your PS3 :p

Lol, it's about as good a use as I can think of anyway. What good is 150MB of space? If saves are so small, then cloud storage isn't needed, if they're big files, then it's crippled before it's even released. What size is the average savefile...a couple of KB I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

At the moment there's no practical way to backup all saves (some are copy protected but I don't how often this is the case) so I think this is actually a reasonable solution in case of hard drive failure, update bricking etc, but only if it works without the need to manually upload (and given Sony's love of syphoning information from the PS3 without the user's knowledge, then I can't see why it won't be done in the background).

Although since I don't use PSN, meh!

red_fox wrote: »
    At the moment there's no practical way to backup all saves (some are copy protected but I don't how often this is the case) so I think this is actually a reasonable solution in case of hard drive failure, update bricking etc, but only if it works without the need to manually upload (and given Sony's love of syphoning information from the PS3 without the user's knowledge, then I can't see why it won't be done in the background).

Although since I don't use PSN, meh!

Nah, a reasonable solution would to allow the user to backup to removeable media in an encrypted form...much too easy though for Sony.

• Advertisement

Well 3.60 is out, & wait for it...you can now set inactivity timers to turn off your controllers :eek: W.o.w....dunno bout you guys, but I'm convinced :rolleyes:

In more slightly ambiguos news, on initial examination, the PS3 has again reen resecured. Kakarotoks said he had a quick look, & all of the loaders are now redundant (LV1/LV2'MetLDR) and have been replaced with a newly signed LV0.2. That means it's basically nullified any existing exploits, & any new ones will need to go different routes.

As for playing 3.60 games on <=3.55, that remains to be seen. In a way I'm kind of glad, that may sound strange coming from a modding enthusiast, but the stigma this mod has brought up is ridiculous...and for all intents & purposes, my ps3 still never gets used. If newer games can still be played on 3.55 that's kind of a saving grace, but if not...then its useless.
    Wow, in 3.60, Sony removed all the loaders, no more isoldr/lv1ldr/lv2ldr/appldr.. but they added lv0.2! Seems they found a way to secure ps3

Source

its very easy get old games work on newer fw's, 3.6 on 3.55 & below wont be any different i'd imagine, a quick eboot edit

automatic controller turn off, what a killer feature, just what the masses have being calling for, glad sony listen to customer feedback,

so glad i bought sony !:rolleyes:

a quick eboot edit

The metldr got its P45...if the new eboots are signed in conjunction with LV0.2 then we won't be able to decrypt them. Time will tell.

Well 3.60 is out, & wait for it...you can now set inactivity timers to turn off your controllers :eek: W.o.w....dunno bout you guys, but I'm convinced :rolleyes:

That's actually one of the things that annoys me most about the PS3 is the lack of Controller inactivity timers. The kids play, go, leave controllers on and whenever I want to play a game or use a controller its flat as a dodo.

Inquitus wrote: »
    That's actually one of the things that annoys me most about the PS3 is the lack of Controller inactivity timers. The kids play, go, leave controllers on and whenever I want to play a game or use a controller its flat as a dodo.

A console shouldn't be half-way through its lifespan before it gets that feature. It should have been available on FW1.0 tbh.

They was a power saving option for controllers before 3.60, what's so different about this "new" option?:confused:

They was a power saving option for controllers before 3.60, what's so different about this "new" option?:confused:

This has a timer, maybe the old one was a preset time?

So they gave us more options of when the controllers turn themselves off?
    Lame!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I've been using that feature for a long time. I think it turns off the controller after 5 mins. Great for saving battery.

• Advertisement

So they gave us more options of when the controllers turn themselves off?
    Lame!!

If Sony allowed game installs to hdd (internal & external, obviously using the PS file system) and you just needed the disc for authentication like the 360...it would go a huge way towards incentivising cfw users to ofw. Game installs, PLUS psn...I'd say a huge amount of people would revert to ofw.

But no...joypad power timers.

Advertisement