Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you met a Bond holder in your local?

Options
2»

Comments

A politician came to my door the other evening and I challanged him over Burning the Bond holders and the like and told him excatly what I thought should be done.
    He asked me not to vote for him.

Do you know what a bond is? Without going to google now to find out.. Please explain what they are and why yield matters.

Anyone who makes an opening post like yours couldn't possibly understand what they are or how they are bought and sold.. Do you even know that there were bondholders before the crisis? Some 40-50 odd billion worth. Did you know that? Probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you went to your local and one of these bond holders was there what would you do?
    I would wait till he went out to the smoking area and follow him out.
    Then I would get a cigeratte of him and then a few minutes later tell him "Your lucky I dont give you a slap with my fist" then flick the cigerette at his face. I would then jump up on the empty kegs stacked in the corner and up on the asbestos roof of the smoking shed and over the wall and away home through the ghost estate to my house on the outskirts of my village. I would hide in my house for a few days until the whole afffair blew over and the local seargent was exhausted from his enquiries.
    What action would you take?

What if he doesn't smoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Do you know what a bond is? Without going to google now to find out.. Please explain what they are and why yield matters.

Anyone who makes an opening post like yours couldn't possibly understand what they are or how they are bought and sold.. Do you even know that there were bondholders before the crisis? Some 40-50 odd billion worth. Did you know that? Probably not.
    It dosent matter what I know or dont know about bond holders, in fact they are the ones who probably made the markets so expensive for Ireland to borrow money that the IMF had to step in and give us a good rate so we could
    1. Be able to have an operational banking sector so you and I can go to an ATM machine and know that it will give out money.
    2. Be able to run the country from day to day while trying to decrease spending in a wasteful public sector that is probably the cause the greatest international economic crises since 1929.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

2. Be able to run the country from day to day while trying to decrease spending a wasteful public sector that is probably the cause the greatest international economicc crises since 1929.

So how do you run a country day to day when it costs €35bn to run and the tax take is €18bn.

Also, do you have money in any bank/building society/pension OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

So how do you run a country day to day when it costs €35bn to run and the tax take is €18bn.

Also, do you have money in any bank/building society/pension OP?

Indeed I do, 2 bank accounts and a pension, and herself has been poughing money into a managed fund or something in Rabodirect.
    What has that got to do with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I'D give the bond holder a can of petrol....

It dosent matter what I know or dont know about bond holders, in fact they are the ones who probably made the markets so expensive for Ireland to borrow money that the IMF had to step in and give us a good rate so we could
    1. Be able to have an operational banking sector so you and I can go to an ATM machine and know that it will give out money.
    2. Be able to run the country from day to day while trying to decrease spending in a wasteful public sector that is probably the cause the greatest international economic crises since 1929.

The bondholders made it so expensive? They make investments based on risk. We fuked our country thus raising the risk and thus raising the yield needed for them to invest.

Try understand that bondholders are what keep economies alive.. They're not evil, all they do is lend governments money by buying bonds. If we default, they will be lost and we are screwed to high heaven.

No idea why you've brought up the IMF or those two unrelated points.. :confused:

Indeed I do, 2 bank accounts and a pension, and herself has been poughing money into a managed fund or something in Rabodirect.

You have to be trolling. You're own wife is more than likely a bondholder.. Do you not know where funds are invested?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nothing.

Is that you Brian?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

1. Withdraw.
    2. Bond holders have big yachts and mansions and live a high life.
    So if you met your local credit union, you'd flick a cigarette at them? Why?
    It dosent matter what I know or dont know about bond holders
    Well, since you don't know what the f**k you're talking about, it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Claasman wrote: »
    2 pages, and nobody said 'blast them with piss'?

I speak for myself when I say that this was definitely not what sprung to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

My point is that some of the banks and more than likely all the pension funds invest in bonds. By virtue of that fact you and your wife are bond holders. So it has a lot to do with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What action would you take?

I would of jumped up to the roof and chased after you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

*Cannot believe nobody has invoked the spirit of face-kicker*

More seriously, there's quite a distinction between the people who bought government bonds and the bonds issued by banks.* The latter, unless they were really stupid, were chancing their arm if they bought after 2006, as they surely had to know our bubble wouldn't have a happy ending. For them to refuse any haircut now is nonsense. The former should be paid in full: it's sovereign debt that our democratically-elected government issued, and which investors bought in good faith.

* Yeah, I know, they're institutional investors. I'm talking about the fund managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I got my cousin some prize bonds for christmas i better go kick the shít out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'd ask him for a loan of some money to buy a pint. Then I'd buy two pints (the price of pints is going up, after all). When he looked for his money back I'd make everyone else pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I'd ask him for a loan of some money to buy a pint. Then I'd buy two pints (the price of pints is going up, after all). When he looked for his money back I'd make everyone else pay it.

Fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I'd smoke a Gold Bond cigarette with him. We'd have a cup of Brooke Bond tea together. I guess we'd just, well, bond!

Advertisement