Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements: Fish Oils/Fat-burners/Shakes etc!!

Options
  • 22-02-2011 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some feedback on the types of supplements (Fish-oils/aminos/Fat-burners/pre-workout shakes/proetein etc) people are taking!
    What do you recommend and why. What benifits do they have etc!!

Im currently taking:
    centrium advance multi-vit
    Cod-liver oil (with calcium)
    Omega-3 fish oils
    amino 1000
    USN Whey protein shake

Im also looking to start a course of fat-burners this week n shed the last of the gut, ive been told Hydroxcut is the best??:confused:

Any feedback would be great!!:D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Instead of amino 1000, would you not just have some protein? Never understood the need for those amino acid pills. Your whey contains all the necessary amino acids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Are they really that pointless? A friend recommended taking them along with protein? They were going cheap so i said id try them out and see if they made any impact!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

What's your diet like - that's far more important tbh

What's your diet like - that's far more important tbh

Diets fairly good... i think?

Breakfast:
    Eggs (1 yolk to 4 whites) - scrambled with Mccambridges style toast or in omlette with bacon and onion/ Weetabix with protein

Lunch:
    Tuna and salad wrap/ Chicken and salad wrap

Dinner:
    Chicken and veg/salad or
    Lean Steak/mince and veg
    turkey and veg/salad

For snacks between meals i try and eat nuts and after training have a protein shake. Occasionally il snack on a chocolate bar but not often!!!
    I was having 2 shakes a day one in the morning and then again in the evening, one of which was always straight after training, but after feedback here ive changed to just having the one but doubling the portion staright after training!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Diets fairly good... i think?

Breakfast:
    Eggs (1 yolk to 4 whites) - scrambled with Mccambridges style toast or in omlette with bacon and onion/ Weetabix with protein

Lunch:
    Tuna and salad wrap/ Chicken and salad wrap

Dinner:
    Chicken and veg/salad or
    Lean Steak/mince and veg
    turkey and veg/salad

For snacks between meals i try and eat nuts and after training have a protein shake. Occasionally il snack on a chocolate bar but not often!!!
    I was having 2 shakes a day one in the morning and then again in the evening, one of which was always straight after training, but after feedback here ive changed to just having the one but doubling the portion staright after training!
    overall any supplement is just that - a supplement to an already good diet.

Bang in more fish oils every day 5-10g (do omega 3's or cod liver oil - you should not need both), the centrum is not a really good quality multi (sources of the vits and minerals are not great).

For example - look on the jar and they are using magnesium oxide as the magnesium source - really really poor absorption of this and its used as a laxative (in higher quantities), same goes for the calcium (carbonate) which is just like chalk.

Go for something like solgar which you can get in most health food shops.

Overall the multi is just to cover all bases and the fish oils are going to help with recovery, joints, hormone function etc.

If you want to take a protein drink then fire away but its no better than real food, its just handy.

• Advertisement

Yeah ive heard from a few people now that centrum isnt the best choice of multi-vit but already paid for them so just waiting to finish the course and ill get something better! Ill take a look and see if i can see that Solgar u mentioned! If all else fails il go back to Holland & Barrett they seem to have everything!

As for fat burners no feedback so far??? I went ahead and bought the Hydroxycut, felt a bit jittery after the first one but nothing compared to the way i felt after i tried "Stackerz 4" (terrible!!) am roasting tho but i wont complain as its baltic out so better to be warm then cold!:D.

Also if someone could clear up exactly what the difference between Whey protein and Casein is as im nearly finished mine and want to know what to go for next time! Ive been taking USN 100% Whey

Are they really that pointless?

Pretty pointless alright. If you want something beyond protein, bcaa's might be worth considering.

Yeah ive heard from a few people now that centrum isnt the best choice of multi-vit but already paid for them so just waiting to finish the course and ill get something better! Ill take a look and see if i can see that Solgar u mentioned! If all else fails il go back to Holland & Barrett they seem to have everything!

As for fat burners no feedback so far??? I went ahead and bought the Hydroxycut, felt a bit jittery after the first one but nothing compared to the way i felt after i tried "Stackerz 4" (terrible!!) am roasting tho but i wont complain as its baltic out so better to be warm then cold!:D.

Also if someone could clear up exactly what the difference between Whey protein and Casein is as im nearly finished mine and want to know what to go for next time! Ive been taking USN 100% Whey
    the fat burners are NO GO - not a good purchase IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

From what I gather, most of the purported fat-burners contain little more than a high dose of caffeine which could be purhcased more cheaply in other forms and has little effect on weight loss bar mild appetite suppression anyway.

They contained ephedrine before it was banned, which isn't a million miles off speed and would be quite conducive to weight loss.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been taking the Seven Seas one-a-day cod liver oil capsules for as long as I can remember. Would there be any value in taking a second capsule on work-out days, or should I stick to just having one in the morning with my porridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pace2008 wrote: »
    From what I gather, most of the purported fat-burners contain little more than a high dose of caffeine which could be purhcased more cheaply in other forms and has little effect on weight loss bar mild appetite suppression anyway.
    It has other benefits in terms of training for weight loss. Such as training intensity.
    They contained ephedrine before it was banned, which isn't a million miles off speed and would be quite conducive to weight loss.
    Closer to sudafed than speed :P

i think much of the so called fat burners out there are terrible from a total body systemic perspective i.e. your jacking your body up and raising cortisol levels only to then have to come back down with an almighty crash. Not unlike doing wayyyy to many days of excessive coffee consumption. They can also have a very negative effect on sleep. All in all i think they are a really poor choice and i would sooner look at yuor diet and training than look for a solution in a pill.

Regards the seven seas cod liver oil - there is a measly 100mg of EPA/DHA per tablet in those (you would need a fist full of them to get in a decent amount of EPA/DHA) as compared to - http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Omega-3-200-Softgels/323?at=0
    which would be over 300mg per tablet.

Overall taking fish oil liquid is the easiest way to get in a decent amount in

Started the hydroxycut this morning, felt a bit dodgey all day to be fair and then like you said crashed after training! had to have a nap for an hour i was wrecked! Im going to give it till Sunday taking the minumum dose and see if it gets any better if not ill give them a miss!

I take 3 omega3 capsules 1 with each meal and a seven seas cod liver oil before bed so hopefully getting the best of both worlds!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Khannie wrote: »
    Pretty pointless alright. If you want something beyond protein, bcaa's might be worth considering.

Khannie easiest way i find to consume protein is to mix it with warm milk, i'm just coming to the end of my first tub of vanilla flavoured protein.
    is taking it with milk a bad idea for any reason?

M three wrote: »
    Khannie easiest way i find to consume protein is to mix it with warm milk, i'm just coming to the end of my first tub of vanilla flavoured protein.
    is taking it with milk a bad idea for any reason?

Not a bad idea as such. It just has extra calories in it. It makes it a whole heap more delicious though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

I'm a bit sceptical of fish oil and the rest. Anyone got any decent information on this other than recommendations from the people selling the stuff?

Shane, The

Have you tried googling? 10 seconds got me this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil#Benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

Casein is absorbed more slowly than pure whey i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

So essentially nothing conclusive. It may help with any number of things but seems to be conclusively linked to nothing. That is if Wikipedia is to be trusted.

Shane, The

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

The Shane wrote: »
    So essentially nothing conclusive. It may help with any number of things but seems to be conclusively linked to nothing. That is if Wikipedia is to be trusted.

Shane, The

Forget about what wikipedia says and look at some of the journal aritcles quoted

There is some fairly conclusive evidence out there to support omega 3 fatty acids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

The Shane wrote: »

Shane, The

Go to the Nutrition sub forum and go to the nutrition myths thread - i have links to studies showing short term benefit of fish oils,which peak and hit marginal returns long term since most people take unstable sources of fish oil that's prone to oxidation.

gavtron wrote: »
    Casein is absorbed more slowly than pure whey i believe

And what benifit is that over the quick absorbtion of whey protein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

And what benifit is that over the quick absorbtion of whey protein?
    It's better for preventing muscle/liver from being cannibilised, if you run out of protein in your system, is the way I see it.
    Specifically, it is often taken before bed, so that you have protein in your system during the night. Cottage cheese is preferable for this purpose though.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Kadongy wrote: »
    It's better for preventing muscle/liver from being cannibilised, .

casein protein....hannibal lecter's worst nightmare!

Tried Jack3D for the second time today... 1st time 1.5 scoops and didnt feel anything??? Today 2 maybe 2.5 scoops and still dont think i felt anything??? From what people keep telling me about it i thought i was going to be super pumped to train but i was still wrecked while training??

Anyone else taking this stuff that can fill me in a little more about what it should be doing for me?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Did you make a post on MT re: Jacked?

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/why-is-jack3d-not-working-m4341654.aspx

Same kind of thing there and the responses are by and large good.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Did you make a post on MT re: Jacked?

No wasnt my post but good thread! Maybe ill try something else but im after paying for the Jack3D now so kinda feel i should giv it a chance!? I might try it a while longer after eating and see if it has any different affect?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

Pace2008 wrote: »

Are all of these lean body fat-burners equally supercharged? I ask because of the following experience.

My eldest son was taking some kind of 'lean accelerator' based on nitrous (?) oxide. When I went through the ingredients, the caffeine content in each dose was about the equivalent of four espressos. He was so wound up at the weekend that he used go to the gym twice a day if he could. The weekends were nightmarish for the rest of the family. Eventually we persuaded him to drop that supplement in return for buying him more protein. Believe me it was a worthwhile trade-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Tried Jack3D for the second time today... 1st time 1.5 scoops and didnt feel anything??? Today 2 maybe 2.5 scoops and still dont think i felt anything??? From what people keep telling me about it i thought i was going to be super pumped to train but i was still wrecked while training??

Anyone else taking this stuff that can fill me in a little more about what it should be doing for me?:confused:
    It looks like it consists of lots of caffeine and a few things that probably have negligible effects. Creatine is probably redundant since if you're taking that stuff you probably have loaded with creatine also. I like the way it uses suggestive language without saying anything it needs to back up when it says that when you combine nitrous oxide (or whatever it was) with creatine, that's when things get interesting. I could say when you combine orange juice with water, that's when things get interesting too. Or bread and jam maybe.

If you replaced a different source of caffeine with it, then it mightn't have much effect.
    If you typically consume a lot of caffeine then you might have a tolerance to it.
    Also caffeine takes about half an hour to kick in properly.
    Black Bloc wrote: »
    Are all of these lean body fat-burners equally supercharged? I ask because of the following experience.

My eldest son was taking some kind of 'lean accelerator' based on nitrous (?) oxide. When I went through the ingredients, the caffeine content in each dose was about the equivalent of four espressos. He was so wound up at the weekend that he used go to the gym twice a day if he could. The weekends were nightmarish for the rest of the family. Eventually we persuaded him to drop that supplement in return for buying him more protein. Believe me it was a worthwhile trade-off.

haha was he taking it the whole time or something? Consuming caffeine before going to the gym works because you can work harder. It's also supposed to help recovery. I think the negative effects on relaxation and sleep would make it detrimental to use on balance outside of that though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Edmund01

A good quality natural fat burner may help a person to reduce fat within a short span of time and thereby help you lead a good life. So, if you would like to get a perfect physique without struggling hard to get it then make a search for the deals available for you online.

Advertisement