Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch GSM dialler

Options
  • 21-02-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for some info on the Eircom Phonewatch GSM dialler as I am thinking of moving from vodafone to UPC for broadband and phone. I tried the website but not much there :confused: .

What model do they use currently?
    And does anyone have an image of it? I recently built a small press around the wireless eircom phonewatch unit and need to know if the dialler will fit or if a new press would be needed.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would not recommend GSM as a secure form of monitoring.
    They can be very easily jammed. In fact most installers I know no longer use them . Our monitoring station will only accept connections if you sign a disclaimer.
    Your UPC connection will work fine for monitoring & would be much more secure than GSM. I would, however, recommend a battery back up on your UPC modem. And also an alarm contact on the access box outside your property if the cable is coming in underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi,

I am looking for some info on the Eircom Phonewatch GSM dialler as I am thinking of moving from vodafone to UPC for broadband and phone. I tried the website but not much there :confused: .

What model do they use currently?
    And does anyone have an image of it? I recently built a small press around the wireless eircom phonewatch unit and need to know if the dialler will fit or if a new press would be needed.

Thanks

They use a New World GSM.
    http://www.new-world-security.com/contents/media/t_nws%20ps%20backup_smal_000.jpg

P.W. will not monitor the alarm through UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭losttheplot

altor wrote: »
    They use a New World GSM.
    http://www.new-world-security.com/contents/media/t_nws%20ps%20backup_smal_000.jpg

P.W. will not monitor the alarm through UPC.

Thanks for that info.

I see from the same site that the dimensions are quite big

* 250x250x80mm * Weight 2.5Kg

KoolKid wrote: »
    I would not recommend GSM as a secure form of monitoring.
    They can be very easily jammed. In fact most installers I know no longer use them . Our monitoring station will only accept connections if you sign a disclaimer.
    Your UPC connection will work fine for monitoring & would be much more secure than GSM. I would, however, recommend a battery back up on your UPC modem. And also an alarm contact on the access box outside your property if the cable is coming in underground.

Thanks for the security warning
    I contacted phonewatch and they confirmed what Altor said re no monitoring through UPC.

So I suppose this means that Phonewatch GSM is not a viable solution and I would be better off keeping my vodafone landline :( for phone calls and going with upc for broadband

A GSM is so easy to block that keeping the phone line if well protected is your best option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Has anyone asked Eircom why they are happy to sell you an usecure GSM yet refuse to let you use a UPC land line?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Has anyone asked Eircom why they are happy to sell you an usecure GSM yet refuse to let you use a UPC land line?

Just spoke to phonewatch and they seemed to say that if a blocker is used they would not know about it as a test is only run once a week. Does not seem very secure then...

Looks like I'll have to keep landline even if I get UPC broadband

Just spoke to phonewatch and they seemed to say that if a blocker is used they would not know about it as a test is only run once a week. Does not seem very secure then...
    Its not.
    You should not be forced into this when the UPC line will work perfectly.
    My alarm is monitored that way.
    I have put these questions to Eircom here if you want to follow it.
    Lets see if we can get a logical answer.

They should be sending in a signal at a pre-determined time each day, not once a week. In all honesty they should have some type of polling in use with any GSM they install. The way they do it they dont know till a week later if you have any issues till it does not send in the signal.

I asked one of the lads in there why they dont use UPC and they said its because its not reliable enough. When I asked why they still use GSM he said they have no other solution. He also told me they are not looking into any other form of monitoring at the moment which really surprised me as with the amount of customers they have on GSM. He also said he has not come across any blocker being used on a residential property so they dont think it is less secure. Not a great response from a company thats motto is securing peace of mind.

Advertisement