Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest spent on the dole?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

Is there a record for longest time spent on it?,has anyone ever being kicked off eventually,has there being babies grown up and now on it?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i know a bloke that has been on it since 1983, he doesnt mind admitting that and he sits it in the pub all day, every day drinking, smoking and gambling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

What a legend. I love him. I was on the dole in early nineties for two years. Not since - sorry, a month or maybe 3 weeks in 2006. I am stressed, depressed and in so much debt that I now know working is for fools. Someone told me a long time ago: 'It's warmer on the dole'. Never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've never been on Thankfully - Maybe luck

-Seen families who never worked and now their kids clain the dole.

-I've seen people who are on the Dole that think some jobs are beneath them.

-Not sure I've seen somebody activily seeking employment not get a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

i know a bloke that has been on it since 1983, he doesnt mind admitting that and he sits it in the pub all day, every day drinking, smoking and gambling

And we wonder why our country is up sh1t creek.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭paconnors

My dad knows a fella on the dole since he was 16 my dad is 63 now and your man can smoke and drink 7 days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Dont blame the player.

If the system is open to abuse (like it clearly is) people will abuse it. Simple.

Its up to the Social Welfare (or whoever the **** sorts it out) to cop the **** on and take the finger out their ass and do something about people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I had to think about this one but I see what you mean now,

its the governments fault for letting it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yakult wrote: »
    Dont blame the player.

If the system is open to abuse (like it clearly is) people will abuse it. Simple.

Its up to the Social Welfare (or whoever the **** sorts it out) to cop the **** on and take the finger out their ass and do something about people like that.

I wasn't blaming the player, I was blaming the manager.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yakult wrote: »
    Dont blame the player.

I'll happily blame the player, and at times the parents. It happens in some parts, and I know 2 people who did it, that when they are 18 and leave school their mothers took them to the social welfare to get the dole, One is 20 now, still never worked, the other is 19 nearly 20 and had a job for 2 weeks in an apprenticeship before he quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

paconnors wrote: »
    My dad knows a fella on the dole since he was 16 my dad is 63 now and your man can smoke and drink 7 days a week.

i honestly dont know how they do it, i for one couldnt manage to do it on a wage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

not a bad life. all day . every day.

is it a noddy land pub? or are the beer and fags made of maula?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

A lad i went to school with been on it since he was NINETEEN! he must be around my age now ffs. 25/26!:eek: also, he drives a 6 year old merc to boot! fair play to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I get satisfaction from doing a days work! I'd say being on the dole long-term would get fairly depressing and demotivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

ArtSmart wrote: »
    not a bad life. all day . every day.

is it a noddy land pub? or are the beer and fags made of maula?

There is a pub in Cork that sells pints for 3 euro until 11pm. SO if it opens at 1230, you can have 10 pints a day at 30 euro. But most people who spend all day like that in a pub actually drink far less than that. So It's not actually impossible, or even improbable to use the dole in that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

People who choose the dole over a job are idiots. Holding down a job and getting money shows you are reliable. Good if you need work somewhere else. Sitting on your ass getting dole money - not so much. Note, this does not apply to people who actually need to be on the dole. When used correctly, there is no shame with the dole. Plenty of people defraud social walfare services I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Naikon wrote: »
    People who choose the dole over a job are idiots. Holding down a job and getting money shows you are reliable. Good if you need work somewhere else. Sitting on your ass getting dole money - not so much. Note, this does not apply to people who actually need to be on the dole. When used correctly, there is no shame with the dole. Plenty of people defraud social walfare services I would imagine.

signing once a month is being reliable and picking up your money every week on the same day also reliable.

Naikon wrote: »
    People who choose the dole over a job are idiots. Holding down a job and getting money shows you are reliable. Good if you need work somewhere else. Sitting on your ass getting dole money - not so much. Note, this does not apply to people who actually need to be on the dole. When used correctly, there is no shame with the dole. Plenty of people defraud the dole, mind you.

And thats the problem, Its a certain class of person that sees the dole as a career.

Though a lot of cases thats are happening no are people are long time un-employed and lose all confidence thus not even seeking employment

And also now we've a generation of graduates who don't actually know how to look for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

There is a pub in Cork that sells pints for 3 euro until 11pm. SO if it opens at 1230, you can have 10 pints a day at 30 euro. But most people who spend all day like that in a pub actually drink far less than that. So It's not actually impossible, or even improbable to use the dole in that way.
    it also not actually impossible to live on one's fingernail clippings.

twill be some fun if FG get into power. ah well, we tried the FF gorging, now we might as well go for the scape-goating. what was good enough for the Brits under Thatcher...

ArtSmart wrote: »
    it also not actually impossible to live on one's fingernail clippings.

twill be some fun if FG get into power. ah well, we tried the FF gorging, now we might as well go for the scape-goating. what was good enough for the Brits under Thatcher...

I'd be almost sure that a lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

You couldn't pay me to go on the dole... wait what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I'll happily blame the player, and at times the parents. It happens in some parts, and I know 2 people who did it, that when they are 18 and leave school their mothers took them to the social welfare to get the dole, One is 20 now, still never worked, the other is 19 nearly 20 and had a job for 2 weeks in an apprenticeship before he quit.

Thats sad I know, but once again its the poor system they have in place.
    Let me guess, the mother wasnt working, drawing the dole for many years without question and then those young guys see the same oppertunity.
    Free money for long periods of time without question. Win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I've been on it for almost 4 months now. I'm 26 and have been working since 14. Had a part time job during school and college and worked any spare time I had including working full time during the summers. I finished my college exams on a Thursday and started work the following Monday.

When I heard I was getting the boot I panicked a bit, but at first it was a nice break from work I'll admit, could do stuff during the week, no getting up at 6.30, etc etc but that wore thin very very quickly when the redundancy money ran out. 188 a week isnt much with bills to pay, I don't have kids or a mortgage, so Ive no idea how anyone with a house and family is coping, luckily for me i can move back to my parents house to save money. While I don't want to, I count myself lucky that it's an option.

I havent a ****ing clue how anyone could do this long term (as in years). I've never been so bored and unmotivated in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

signing once a month is being reliable and picking up your money every week on the same day also reliable.

They have increased the signing day from one month to every three months. So they've lost some responsibility there :(. They've 8 free days a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Half the population where I live were on the dole up until fairly recently. They were also working, poaching and doing whatever they could to get more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I was on the dole for a bit. By the time they'd sorted out my application I was back working. But I did enjoy getting a nice big cheque for doing nothing to be honest. I could see how that would be appealing. Personally I can't sit still so I'd get bored out of work and try make stuff to do.

In the end though, I'll only work to live, as in I'll work so I can have a reasonably fulfilling personal life. If I thought I could do that without working, why wouldn't I? Especially if I wasn't very self-motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

My father has been on the dole my whole life (18 years), although he did have 1 day a week work for about a year but he was still on it part time. Before my parents got married my mother was on the dole. But the whole "poverty trap" of if your parents were on it you will is bull to me, my brother has a college degree and I am now in college - there's always a way to overcome things, I hate people saying they can't go to college because their parents were on the dole, that's why grants were invented. That's just an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

You're right, that man is single handedly responsible for this countrys downfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Numina wrote: »
    You're right, that man is single handedly responsible for this countrys downfall.

I take it you have not heard of the term Inference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I don't know what you're all complaining about, I think the dole is well fair.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

born2bwild wrote: »
    What a legend. I love him. I was on the dole in early nineties for two years. Not since - sorry, a month or maybe 3 weeks in 2006. I am stressed, depressed and in so much debt that I now know working is for fools. Someone told me a long time ago: 'It's warmer on the dole'. Never forget.
    :rolleyes:
    This HAS to be sarcasm, if not....

Advertisement