Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pretence Of Sinn Fein

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Last week the ECB lent Irish banks an additional €16 billion in overnight money and how long will that last ???? thats diging the hole bigger or would it not be better to stand on our own to feet,,oil and gas oil and gas hello we dont need imf or ecb.ireland with her farms could feed europe.wind power oil gas the list gos on we get nothing for because of the likes of fg and ff in the past. thats why we need change.europe has fecked us over 1973 to 2011 were on our knees.more money from the imf is not the answer more money we make ourselfs is the answer and thats what sinnfein are trying to tell us.its a plan that will take a few years but it can work

Who pays the teachers, nurses, guards and Social Welfare while we wait for this plan to come together?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dubol

K-9 wrote: »
    All parties had TD's who had over claimed, Ferris of SF eg. There must be a conspiracy for all the parties then.

There are TDs from all parties FF have the most followed by FG and then Labour with the Greens and SF. I have done a list and a rough total of the overclaimed expenses. I intend posting it if I am allowed to. One forum has stopped me from posting because it might upset their party supporters. thestory.ie was briefly mentioned by Vinny Brown but it was over a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dubol wrote: »
    There are TDs from all parties FF have the most followed by FG and then Labour with the Greens and SF. I have done a list and a rough total of the overclaimed expenses. I intend posting it if I am allowed to. One forum has stopped me from posting because it might upset their party supporters. thestory.ie was briefly mentioned by Vinny Brown but it was over a different story.

So it kind of goes by the number of TD's each party had in the House then?

It would be a bit shocking if the Greens or SF had more than Labour or FG in fairness!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

Who pays the teachers, nurses, guards and Social Welfare while we wait for this plan to come together?
    You won't get an answer to your question because teachers are for children, nurses are for old people, guards are for protecting law and order, and shinners don't give a damn about any of those. They're the "I'm Alright Jack" party. They like their social welfare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

So far we have had 2 efforts to answer the question. The rest of the answers make no effort to explain the significant difference in policy of the same party.
    Sinn Fein spent 30 years attacking the economic structures of Great Brittan through a bombing campaign including bombs in the heat of London’s Finical centre.
    There policy now is to support the Government of Great Britain in saving expenditure through cut backs on the working class of the Falls Road and other Nationalist area’s of N Ireland.

Listening to Gerry Admas on The Week In Politics last night was like an out of body experience. While we would dearly love it if we could get out of our problems without cut backs but anyone who really believes it is possible to do so needs to wake up and smell the coffee beans.

The question is simple.
    How can a party have a totally opposite policy on cut backs within two jurisdictions that are 100 miles apart. Can someone of the SF supporters give us a logical answer

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Fire them an email perhaps?

Well I was hoping that since you were a supporter that you might tell me.... Since you are voting for them I am sure you have worked it out.

The Tooth Fairy of Course,

Failing that perhaps the Northern Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

all hypothetical of course because sinn fein are unlikely to take more than 20 seats . . .

What was it, 5 in the last election? I would be surprised if SF got 10 seats.
    Fitzerb wrote: »
    How come SF is supporting the social welfare cuts to be imposed from Westminster on the working class of Northern Ireland?

How come SF are supporting cuts in NI of the Health Service

How come SF will be supporting and implementing cuts in NI that total up £4 Billion.

It was put to Kathleen Funchion on the last word last week.
    She equated it to a local co council have their funding cut, and having to revise your budget.
    They'd do the exact same here, if anyone would go into govt with them, that is.

Seriously. Sinn Fein have more threads and views on the politics forum, than any other party or issue in the run up to the election.
    I can't see why there's such a big fuss about them tbh. We've much bigger things on our plate.

Peoples hatred for SF is fuelling these treads, keeping them in the spotlight & people minds, and SF will be all too happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

So far we have had 2 efforts to answer the question. The rest of the answers make no effort to explain the significant difference in policy of the same party.
    Sinn Fein spent 30 years attacking the economic structures of Great Brittan through a bombing campaign including bombs in the heat of London’s Finical centre.
    There policy now is to support the Government of Great Britain in saving expenditure through cut backs on the working class of the Falls Road and other Nationalist area’s of N Ireland.

Listening to Gerry Admas on The Week In Politics last night was like an out of body experience. While we would dearly love it if we could get out of our problems without cut backs but anyone who really believes it is possible to do so needs to wake up and smell the coffee beans.

The question is simple.
    How can a party have a totally opposite policy on cut backs within two jurisdictions that are 100 miles apart. Can someone of the SF supporters give us a logical answer

The first reply explained it perfectly.

They do not have control of finances in the north. Its basically Westminister gives them a certain amount of pocket money each year and they decide where its spent.

They cannot for example raise revenue by increasing taxes like they could in the south.

The GFA did not remove Northern Ireland from the UK. The GFA did not bring the 6 counties any closer to reunification. It is still under British rule so it is no surprise that an all-island party would have different policies in the two juristictions.

Now I am not a supporter of them(though I'd like to see a decent number of them in opposition) so I think a better question would be to ask how they could fund reversing the cuts and removing the USC.

I suspect their answer would be a wealth tax. You would then point out the wealthy would leave the country. They would then dodge your question and say its only fair the rich should pay.

Also do remember they have the luxury of promising us the sun moon and the stars because they know damned well they'll be in opposition in a months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

doopa wrote: »
    I'll have a go at answering this one - it is perhaps because they are two different countries. But then I think you already knew that.
    You are a brave man making that claim on a thread re. Sinn Fein. :)

The Shinners presumably would deny they are two different countries, but it's not clear what the answer is in that case (other than that they can promise it all here, knowing they won't be called on to deliver).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

SF are adopting the long wait strategy. They are appealing to people emotions rather than sense. That's why they diverge so much from the major parties who may have to or have had to deal with reality.

They say they will reverse the budget cuts. How can anyone in their right mind turn round when their income is cut and say 'I won't cut back - I'll just keep on spending as if there is no difference'. You or I or indeed any SF supporter, on getting an income cut would simply have to cut back on our own personal budget, yet the party seems to think there's another law of economics. They've got the perfect excuse in the North in that it's the big bad British that are controlling the purse strings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Last week the ECB lent Irish banks an additional €16 billion in overnight money and how long will that last ???? thats diging the hole bigger or would it not be better to stand on our own to feet,,oil and gas oil and gas hello we dont need imf or ecb.ireland with her farms could feed europe.

Hurray! Back to the 50s! By the way, why would EU consumers buy our food rather than the food they grow themselves?
    wind power oil gas the list gos on
    The list doesn't go on.
    we get nothing for because of the likes of fg and ff in the past. thats why we need change.europe has fecked us over 1973 to 2011 were on our knees.
    The EU played a huge role in getting us off our knees until our own mismanagement put us back there.
    more money from the imf is not the answer more money we make ourselfs is the answer and thats what sinnfein are trying to tell us.its a plan that will take a few years but it can work

Ireland as a wet and rainy miserable Cuba. Marvellous. By the way, where do we get the capital to exploit the oil reserves that we may have? It's funny how this oil business has become an article of faith among some people, but generally they don't have a clue how the economics of the oil industry work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dubol

Dubol wrote: »
    Why has the scandle of the expenses claims of Enda Kenny and other TDs not been published by the media. The false claims come to 4,000 euro in one case.The website thestory.ie has a list of the incorrect claims of over 100 TDs released under the Freedom of Information Act. I have read every page and on page107 Enda Kenny tried to claim for 520 euro more than he was entitled to. There are over 230 pages, in alphabetical order, where expenses claims were investigated. This information has only come to light recently and the right wing press and RTE are not covering the story.

Well, I have received an email from someone telling me that I should not have posted the above. Censorship? The information was released under the Freedom Of Information Act and there is more than just expenses in the report. thestory.ie has also got pages about the banks, and the meetings of both the Finance Minister and the Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Seriously. Sinn Fein have more threads and views on the politics forum, than any other party or issue in the run up to the election.
    I can't see why there's such a big fuss about them tbh. We've much bigger things on our plate.

Peoples hatred for SF is fuelling these treads, keeping them in the spotlight & people minds, and SF will be all too happy with that.

Damn right - I'd much rather all these economic geniuses sort through the policies of the parties likely to win the election and tear them to shreds (sorry critically evaluate). Why waste your energy on SF/PbP ( or any small party with a view different to the consensus) bashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Scotty #

there is 5o million people in the uk .

4 + million in ireland.big difference

some of the cuts in the uk are needed.but no country should never cut its health Service or jobs.
    the uk is in very bad shape at the moment and have very little gold to back their pound up.imf bailout is on the way for them soon.

sf are in power sharing.so they do have to agree to things they dont want do like cuts because they will be made do it and that would not go down well with some voters. at the end of the day sf sometimes have to do what their told OR the whole thing could break down,worse case you have people fighting on the streets again.were past all that lets keep moving forwards
    You actually have no idea what you are talking about do you!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

I have asked this question 6 times on the boards of the SF supporters but as yet I have not received an answer.
    Sinn Fein has told us that if in Government that they would do the following.
    [Point 2 of the reasons to vote for Sinn Fein as per their manifesto is

2. Sinn Féin would reverse cuts to public services and social welfare introduced in Budget 2011. We are the only party to clearly state that we would do this.

They have also said that they would reverse the Universal Social Charge.
    All great news for everyone. However there is just one little thing that is bothering me and I can’t get a satisfactory answer to.

How come SF is supporting the social welfare cuts to be imposed from Westminster on the working class of Northern Ireland?

How come SF are supporting cuts in NI of the Health Service

How come SF will be supporting and implementing cuts in NI that total up £4 Billion.

Wow, how times have changed. Here we have SF trying to save the Queens shilling through budget cutbacks.
    But the big question is how can they reverse the cut back in the Republic and support them in N Ireland

+1

Show how much Sinn Féin are utter hypocrites.

The first reply explained it perfectly.

They do not have control of finances in the north. Its basically Westminister gives them a certain amount of pocket money each year and they decide where its spent.

They cannot for example raise revenue by increasing taxes like they could in the south.

The GFA did not remove Northern Ireland from the UK. The GFA did not bring the 6 counties any closer to reunification. It is still under British rule so it is no surprise that an all-island party would have different policies in the two juristictions.

Now I am not a supporter of them(though I'd like to see a decent number of them in opposition) so I think a better question would be to ask how they could fund reversing the cuts and removing the USC.

I suspect their answer would be a wealth tax. You would then point out the wealthy would leave the country. They would then dodge your question and say its only fair the rich should pay.

Also do remember they have the luxury of promising us the sun moon and the stars because they know damned well they'll be in opposition in a months time.

Thank you. It leaves me wondering how come that they can decide to inflict cuts on the working class of NI and plan not to inflict any cuts on the working class here. I reckon their supporters in NI would not be too happy at that. To me at best they are wafflers and spookers and a worst a lot more sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It leaves me wondering how come that they can decide to inflict cuts on the working class of NI and plan not to inflict any cuts on the working class here.
    There is a huge difference... in the North they have already got the vote. In the South they are trying to get the vote.

When trying to get the vote... tell the people what they want to hear. When you then have the vote... tell the people what they need to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Last week the ECB lent Irish banks an additional €16 billion in overnight money and how long will that last ???? thats diging the hole bigger or would it not be better to stand on our own to feet,,oil and gas oil and gas hello we dont need imf or ecb.ireland with her farms could feed europe.wind power oil gas the list gos on we get nothing for because of the likes of fg and ff in the past. thats why we need change.europe has fecked us over 1973 to 2011 were on our knees.more money from the imf is not the answer more money we make ourselfs is the answer and thats what sinnfein are trying to tell us.its a plan that will take a few years but it can work

You clearly don't realise that ireland hasn't got a fraction of the oil and gas reserves for our own use, never mind selling it. It would take massive investment to find more in our waters and to extract it, currently far more than oil (even at $100 a barrel) prices support.

We already export huge quantities of food, however thanks to relatively low food prices, and EU restrictions, it's not very profitable. (which is why the eu end up subsidising it).

Wind power is ridiculously unreliable, it is the most pointless form of energy production as we either have to have coal stations running all the time for back up, or import energy from the UK.

So this great ''plan'' will take a few years, and assuming we magically find €100bn to plug the deficit from now til then, what happens at the end of the five years??? We make a tiny bit of money from selling energy on windy days, and have slightly more of our own gas, for a few years until it runs out.

Your ideas are ridiculous, badly thought out and pure nonsense. Very similar to Sinn Feins economic policy coincidentally . . .re you Pearse Doherty by any chance?!

Advertisement