Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if Facebook (or other social media) shutdown permanently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭iheartthailand

I dont think anyone who is on the internet discussing facebook on boards can really make fun of people who actually use facebook...bit ironic there.

Anyways I'd definitely miss it if it went. Theres a couple of people I've met when travelling that I still keep in touch with over it. If it wasnt for the likes of facebook this wouldnt have happened.

A lot of my friends have emigrated and it makes keeping in touch with them easier, and being able to look at their photos and what not.

Plus stalking can be fun... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

I blame all this on these new "smart phones" iPhones etc

People just can't help but plug into the matrix these days. Twitter and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I get the majority of my business through facebook so I'd be pretty gutted! I'm sure I could go back to using just my website but facebook is so interactive it's great, whenever I update my page it goes straight to fan's news feeds so it's a nice little reminder that I'm there, whereas people have to actively look up a website. And when real people on facebook leave happy customer reviews it's really good, instead of just a load of stuff that could've been made up on a website.

Not a very AH answer but meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Just thinking without facebook, exclusive events would actually become "exclusive" again, meaning you just couldn't turn up to the party/event and people asked would be "real" friends, but would have to be in the know/loop with others....i know in college, my friends often get large of people(a 1000 or whatever) clicking "i'm attending" and yet only 100 turn up!

it'd be a lot harder to organise people by phone than simply adding your 500 friends/friends of friends to the invitation list and every bozo turning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Wouldn't bother me personally in the slightest as I'm not on Facebook or Twitter or any of the rest, and I wouldn't have to listen to friends nagging me to join it, or listen to people I barely know going "omg, I can't believe yr not on facebook!!!"
    I can see why businesses [like Spadina's post mentioned] would miss it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭nickobrien1985

people will be more productive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Facebook is fantastic for keeping up to date with friends all around the world - would be lost without!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Someone would just start their own site and make loads of money out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

i'd miss it so much, its so handy for keeping in contact with friends all over the world and costs less than phonecalls or texts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I am working on the next big thing now - put together a few lines of code and its all working well.

If you want in then deposit €1000 to my account: Sort Code 55-98-05 Number 12344987 - Account name: Nigeria Get Rich Quick

Launching next week and expect 100 gazillion users by end of March:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Autosport wrote: »
    i'd miss it so much, its so handy for keeping in contact with friends all over the world and costs less than phonecalls or texts :)

Have people no instant messaging, skype or email these days? All has to be done through some advertising filled website made by some snobby lad who had a latte too many?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Daegerty wrote: »
    Have people no instant messaging, skype or email these days? All has to be done through some advertising filled website made by some snobby lad who had a latte too many?

Not everyone uses those programmes and we're not always online at the same time due to time difference/work etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Autosport wrote: »
    Not everyone uses those programmes and we're not always online at the same time due to time difference/work etc :)

they should give them a try. the being online at the same time requirement is no longer true for most of them anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I am working on the next big thing now - put together a few lines of code and its all working well.

If you want in then deposit €1000 to my account

Exactly how facebook started!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

It wouldn't bother me the least although I still think its a good substitute for keeping in touch to the likes of skype, I use it to a minimum thankfully as anyone who spends all day everyday on it hasn't much class or social skills whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

It would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Z list celebs would have no where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

But but !! how will I know where the children are??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

if social media shutdown permanently i would have been in bed two hours ago! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

wouldn't give a rats tbh! fb is handy for rememberin people's birthdays (and procrastinating :P) but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Adamantium wrote: »
    What effect would there be? Would camera maufacturer sales go down, telelphone bills soar, E-mail back in mainstream usage? Workplace productivity?

Its so utterly widespread(600 million) and ingrained into our mindsets so there would have to some major ruckus!
    Frankly it would be hilarious and interesting to see how certain people adjust!

'likes' this..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SisterBliss

People aka 'friends' might pick up the phone and even meet up in the flesh again... Nosy individuals would find themselves with time on their hands...
    The juvenile popularity contest would stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If Facebook shutdown:
    • No more seeing people's stupid status which makes me question their intelligence. People who copy and paste those wild accusations, philosophical quotes masqueraded as their own, pure racial ignorance and bullshìt "facts" just make my jaw drop.
    • No more requests for stupid games and quizzes.
    • No more having my face wind up online from an obscure photo I've no recollection of.
    • No more awkward friend requests from people I utterly despise or friends getting thick at me for not adding them...........as a friend.........fùck off, I'm talking to you as a friend right now, aren't I?

It has it's advantages of keeping in touch with old friends but the above shìte leaves me indifferent to Facebook that I don't bother with it anymore unless I get an E-mail from someone who contacted me.

Couldn't care less if the fùckin' thing exploded tomorrow, people had a life before it and they sure as shìt will just latch onto the next "social" horseshìt that'll rear it's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Meh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jazzyjayplp

i would be pissed iv moved country nd would have to pay to chat to my mates not cool :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Adamantium wrote: »
    What effect would there be? Would camera maufacturer sales go down, telelphone bills soar, E-mail back in mainstream usage? Workplace productivity?

Its so utterly widespread(600 million) and ingrained into our mindsets so there would have to some major ruckus!
    Frankly it would be hilarious and interesting to see how certain people adjust!

I didnt realise email was a niche market now?

This post is typical of facebook users tbh..it's not the be all and end all of life as we know it! Its not like there are no other ways to keep in touch with people :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Facewhat?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Well it would stop nosey people looking around on people's pages to see what there up to, i know one or two people like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I'd tell friends & family to just go back to useing livejournal and flickr and if they didnt' use them before to start using them.

Advertisement