Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Question on Quads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Got a 02 450s with 270 hours. American import and there isint a mark anywhere on it.

1013170_819969478028632_2093939487_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Got a 02 450s with 270 hours. American import and there isint a mark anywhere on it.

Nice one! Best of luck with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Hi folks. Does anaybody have any experience with a flail mower for the quad. I have some corcas type land where I could not travel with a tractor. It is badly overgrown with rushes, so am planning on licking them but was wondering if it would be worth investing in a mower. It will be a continuous job keeping them under control so not just a once off effort. Could also make use of it on other areas on the farm where access (currently) is not great.

I have no experience of them but the video might give you an idea.

Have seen a few on DD. They are expensive enough (€2700 for one with 18hp engine). I have a 400cc Suzuki Kingquad so I guess I would have enough pulling power. Just have to try and justify the expense of the mower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Parishlad wrote: »
    Hi folks. Does anaybody have any experience with a flail mower for the quad. I have some corcas type land where I could not travel with a tractor. It is badly overgrown with rushes, so am planning on licking them but was wondering if it would be worth investing in a mower. It will be a continuous job keeping them under control so not just a once off effort. Could also make use of it on other areas on the farm where access (currently) is not great.

Ive the quad x 13.5hp Wild Cut E3300.. they alright but strong rushes will choke it.. flail mower is meant to be harder on juice but the only job for strong rushes.. general topping mine is fine but TBH too small .. ill buy a 8ft trailed tractor topper in time .. these are more for equestrian and hobby farms or very bad ground and in Summer id have no place a tractor wouldn't top

well wear GSD

she very similar/ identical to the older 400 foreman that I have

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pn7740

We bougth a Honda 550 back in 2005 and it has 6000hrs on it not sure how many km. Went for the manual gears instead of the electronic as they are meant to give trouble. We do spraying and the odd bit fert spreading when ground conditions are bad. Cant go wrong with a Honda imo ours has given no trouble and is always serviced when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 29 zitaron

QUAD X equipment is generally badly made and engineered - i'd avoid their stuff.
    the best flails are Logic out of uk- but dear.
    no flail will cut "five foot rushes", as quadx claim.

Bodacious wrote: »
    well wear GSD

she very similar/ identical to the older 400 foreman that I have

Do you still have the quad x mower? Is it still doing the business or did you get a topper in the end??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

zitaron wrote: »
    QUAD X equipment is generally badly made and engineered - i'd avoid their stuff.
    the best flails are Logic out of uk- but dear.
    no flail will cut "five foot rushes", as quadx claim.

maybe they mean five foot on the horizontal :D

Do you still have the quad x mower? Is it still doing the business or did you get a topper in the end??

Hi Parish lad,

yeah I still have the quad topper and I use it but its very time consuming to do a large field and I reckon I would top more if I had a tractor one .. couple of things came up this year, bought entitlements, extra stock, ground, rented extra acreage, built shed etc so I haven't bought a tractor.. but need too

If you have done all that in a year then fair play! I'm trying to improve things around the place and a couple of areas just can't be travelled with a tractor. I think a flail mower for the quad is what I need but they are so expensive.

If you have done all that in a year then fair play! I'm trying to improve things around the place and a couple of areas just can't be travelled with a tractor. I think a flail mower for the quad is what I need but they are so expensive.

Is there a thick infestation? If there isn't, would a weedwiper not be a better option? Better yet a DIY wick wiper you could hang off the quad. I cut the rushes here with a Honda brushcutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Is there a thick infestation? If there isn't, would a weedwiper not be a better option? Better yet a DIY wick wiper you could hang off the quad. I cut the rushes here with a Honda brushcutter.

Or a quad sprayer.

We sprayed 7 acres last september with a borrowed sprayer. Took less than 2 hours. Bought a sprayer for myself a few weeks back - only €210 for a 98 litre. It means that I can just pop it on the quad and do 1 or 2 acres at a time whenever I need to.

reilig wrote: »
    Or a quad sprayer.

We sprayed 7 acres last september with a borrowed sprayer. Took less than 2 hours. Bought a sprayer for myself a few weeks back - only €210 for a 98 litre. It means that I can just pop it on the quad and do 1 or 2 acres at a time whenever I need to.

I have a sprayer alright, reason I wouldn't go for one for rushes is because of clover. But, if the infestation is heavy then no problem.

It's heavy enough alright Con. I have a weedlicker for the quad. I was just wondering if it would be enough just to lick them and leave it at that. Would it be better to cut them, leave a few weeks for regrowth and then lick them? Want to get them under control as quickly as posible so looking at all options.

It's heavy enough alright Con. I have a weedlicker for the quad. I was just wondering if it would be enough just to lick them and leave it at that. Would it be better to cut them, leave a few weeks for regrowth and then lick them? Want to get them under control as quickly as posible so looking at all options.

Ara yeah if it's heavy then better to be able to cut them at some stage. The sprayer would also be an option like Reilig said, you could spray them first and let them die away on their own, then lick the regrowth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Good thread, I'm thinking of getting a yamaha prob an older 450 if I can find one that's decent, the reason I'd go yamaha is simply the cost, there 750-1000 cheaper than the Honda with similar hrs and year, is the automatic ok in them or would I be best go for a manual

Good thread, I'm thinking of getting a yamaha prob an older 450 if I can find one that's decent, the reason I'd go yamaha is simply the cost, there 750-1000 cheaper than the Honda with similar hrs and year, is the automatic ok in them or would I be best go for a manual

I don't know if they give trouble or not, but the few times I've driven the one I get on loan it's been spot on. I am talking of the crappiest of crap land from soft bog to steep rocky stuff.

• Advertisement

I don't know if they give trouble or not, but the few times I've driven the one I get on loan it's been spot on. I am talking of the crappiest of crap land from soft bog to steep rocky stuff.

Iv plenty of that, :D It's hard to spend a few grand These days, there always seems to be IMPORTANT things to get, I know the quad would save me a lot of time and hassle, plus it would give the 135 a rest

Iv plenty of that, :D It's hard to spend a few grand These days, there always seems to be IMPORTANT things to get, I know the quad would save me a lot of time and hassle, plus it would give the 135 a rest

I know the feeling, I want a quad too but... tunnel first, then a road maybe, then a small shed to put the quad in, then the quad. Oh wait, the spreader, a set of double wheels, and a new fence first........... I'm going to have to tear up the list, it only gets longer it seems.

I know the feeling, I want a quad too but... tunnel first, then a road maybe, then a small shed to put the quad in, then the quad. Oh wait, the spreader, a set of double wheels, and a new fence first........... I'm going to have to tear up the list, it only gets longer it seems.

I hear you,

Ya the automatic is good in them. Have a 350 new here since 07 not a bother just starter brushes last year. As good as a Honda imo.

mayota wrote: »
    Ya the automatic is good in them. Have a 350 new here since 07 not a bother just starter brushes last year. As good as a Honda imo.

Does it find the right gear easy, or is there ever time you wish you could wait in a lower gear etc, how much would an average 07 be going ,

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

I bought a new Honda 450 es 2001 model in January 02.I must check tomorrow but I think it has 2500 hrs and around 11000 klms.it has the auto shift which has not let me down yet ,sometimes gets stuck in gears but there is a manual lever in the tool box anyhow the auto select always resets itself. I regularly change engine and diff oils prob 3 times a year as I often cross rivers with it As it's used for deer hunting also.
    Wheel bearings , uj rubbers ,brake shoes and seals,starter brushes are all I have changed ,this is used mainly for herding ,bringing turf ,spraying and hunting ,the only prob is it has fulltime 4wd but I do not put a rough thread tyre on the front so steering is not affected.
    Bike is well looked after and sprayed with wd40 regularly ,it is holding up very well compared to 2 neighbours yamaha 's off same age
    But I have a thing for Honda as I raced Honda enduro bikes previously

feartuath wrote: »
    I bought a new Honda 450 es 2001 model in January 02.I must check tomorrow but I think it has 2500 hrs and around 11000 klms.it has the auto shift which has not let me down yet ,sometimes gets stuck in gears but there is a manual lever in the tool box anyhow the auto select always resets itself. I regularly change engine and diff oils prob 3 times a year as I often cross rivers with it As it's used for deer hunting also.
    Wheel bearings , uj rubbers ,brake shoes and seals,starter brushes are all I have changed ,this is used mainly for herding ,bringing turf ,spraying and hunting ,the only prob is it has fulltime 4wd but I do not put a rough thread tyre on the front so steering is not affected.
    Bike is well looked after and sprayed with wd40 regularly ,it is holding up very well compared to 2 neighbours yamaha 's off same age
    But I have a thing for Honda as I raced Honda enduro bikes previously

Fair play, it's been lucky for you , ps you could be a Honda salesman :D

Does it find the right gear easy, or is there ever time you wish you could wait in a lower gear etc, how much would an average 07 be going ,

It's a variable speed (CVT) so there's no step up in gears as such. I posted earlier in the thread that we have a honda big red also and it can be nice to wait in a lower gear if necessary. Both would be used spot spraying, fencing, moving firewood and general transport. The Yamaha has just under 8k kilometres.

The fella I bought the Honda 450 from said he would pick a yamaha over a honda. Way more comfortable he reckoned and he said he has never seen any problems with the transmission in them and he services a lot of quads. Some of the bigger newer ones have electric power steering too, I drove a 550 that had it the same night and it seemed like a great job.

• Advertisement

The fella I bought the Honda 450 from said he would pick a yamaha over a honda. Way more comfortable he reckoned and he said he has never seen any problems with the transmission in them and he services a lot of quads. Some of the bigger newer ones have electric power steering too, I drove a 550 that had it the same night and it seemed like a great job.

Now lookit, don't be spreading that around too much, don't want them silly money by the time I can buy ;):D :pac:

Advertisement