Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler keeps cutting out

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Originally Posted by jimmytheface
    Hi there I,m new to this boards.ie thingy, was looking for info on something else and ended up here . I,ve read a few threads on oil boilers and felt I have to say something . In regards to your boiler cutting out if there is and airlock in the heating this would not cause it you just bleed the rads to get rid of the air . A boiler cuts out for various reasons from faulty oil pump or control box , a blocked oil pump , too much air , too much oil , blocked nozzle , dirty photo cell and even a circulating pump thats not working plus lots of other reasons but an airlock unlikely . Get an OFTEC tech to look at it.

If the oil boiler is outside, the pipe for the the out from the boiler has to turn down to below ground level, and because of this, air can be trapped in the high part of the pipe. And as a radiator has recently been fitted, its a likely cause. So how you have ruled it out i dont know.

When the new rad was fitted, some air in the system probably quickly built up in the boiler heat out pipe , until it was enough to upset the water flow. Air gets trapped in rads alright, and it stops that rad from working properly, until you bleed it. But the same thing can happen particularly in outdoor boilers but the high part of the pipe might have no air bleed on it. And instead of upsetting the flow through one rad, it is the main boiler out pipe that can be air locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jimmytheface

as sullzz says bleed the pump , open the circulating pump with screw on the main body slowly like bleeding a rad and if theres trapped air in the flow pipe from the boiler it will release , or even see if the boiler,s oil supply is not air locked (open allen nut on oil pump) , if boiler is firing its being forced to stop by oil supply or no water being allowed flow out ie airlock or it could just be one of the problems I earlier mentioned and the timing of a new rad is coincidental !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jimmytheface

other thing when I type I make lots of mistakes as I have dyslexia and rereading my post originally I meant to type airlock likely , if I were a reported lads you,d never get any news ....:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Hi there I,m new to this boards.ie thingy, was looking for info on something else and ended up here . I,ve read a few threads on oil boilers and felt I have to say something . In regards to your boiler cutting out if there is and airlock in the heating this would not cause it you just bleed the rads to get rid of the air . A boiler cuts out for various reasons from faulty oil pump or control box , a blocked oil pump , too much air , too much oil , blocked nozzle , dirty photo cell and even a circulating pump thats not working plus lots of other reasons but an airlock unlikely . Get an OFTEC tech to look at it .

None of these suggestions would cause the high limit stat to trip as is the case here. IMO there's air trapped somewhere but most likely at the top offthe boiler preventing the water from flowing

Advertisement