Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comet Elenin

Options
  • 17-02-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

This isnt get much coverage yet but in the months to come it will be big. Try searching Google News for Elenin. Notice anything? Nothing !:eek:

Why is mainstream media so quiet about this? Surely a new comet heading forwards earth deserves at least some coverage. Is it really a comet? Will it hit? All very vague at present.:confused:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread652072/pg1

And it was an Irish poster (not me) who first brought up the subject on ATS
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

According to JPL, the closest it will be to Earth is 21,000,000 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah .. saw that. I guess i am just
    1. amazed there is NO english ref to it on google news at all and
    2. Smiling at all the conspiracy theories that are blowing up about it already.

When first detected its closest pass to earth was to be 8.8 Au (8.8 x 93million miles) so i guess 21 million is a close shave in astronomical terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I never heard about this either,why wouldn't it be big news or even science news.
    I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeqE6A9DI4s

In the last days the rumors about a planetary pole shift, provoked by the Comet C/2010 X1 aka Elenin, to occur in March 15th or so, got viral on the internet. Lots of threads in conspiracy forums, blogs, videos in YT like websites and many, many disinformation, doom-alerts and general fear mongering, being quickly spread after a call made by a mysterious woman on Alex Jones show, that was pulled off the air, after she has attempted to talk about online documents that prove that US military is largely using HAARP and other weapons of weather control.

caseyann wrote: »
    I never heard about this either,why wouldn't it be big news or even science news.
    I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeqE6A9DI4s

In the last days the rumors about a planetary pole shift, provoked by the Comet C/2010 X1 aka Elenin, to occur in March 15th or so, got viral on the internet. Lots of threads in conspiracy forums, blogs, videos in YT like websites and many, many disinformation, doom-alerts and general fear mongering, being quickly spread after a call made by a mysterious woman on Alex Jones show, that was pulled off the air, after she has attempted to talk about online documents that prove that US military is largely using HAARP and other weapons of weather control.

That's a fascinating conglomeration of theories. The likes of which make it seem obvious that C/2010 X1 is nothing more than fodder for the lot.

I mean, it just isn't all that newsworthy. Its closest approach to Earth will be 21 million miles. 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann came within 7 million miles to Earth in 2006, and I suspect that most people never even heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Nasa has shut down WISE because it ran out of 'coolant' . I don't believe them , sounds like an excuse to shut it down to me . :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Google Sky has a huge blank black space where this 'comet' should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

espinolman wrote: »
    Nasa has shut down WISE because it ran out of 'coolant' . I don't believe them , sounds like an excuse to shut it down to me . :rolleyes:

WISE is an infrared telescope, for it to work it needs to be as cold as possible for it to actually detect the faint infra-red light of distant objects. So the cooling system can only keep it cold for so long.

But yea, why bother actually researching something when you can just assume a vast conspiracy?

irish1967 wrote: »

Because Google sky is not a complete catalogue of very single object in the sky.

So what exactly do you think this means? That Google is deliberately leaving it out?
    If that's the case how come you're able to find the information on where is should be?

Do you have the KMZ download to where the comet should be?

Look for a star that is cut in half , click in it and it should say '
    This is proof ' . I think thats how they do it , cut out things and then leave clues .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

anybody know anything about this celestial lightshow,supposedly happening in march and again in september?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Threads Merged

So even if this story wasn't from a total rag of a news paper with zero credibility in science, and even if the paper discussed in it did say what the article says and even if the paper was evidence of another huge planet and if such a planet even existed, Two questions pop up.
    1) How come this planet doesn't sound anything like what the Nibiru believers say Nibiru is?
    2) How is it going to cross the billions of miles to get from it's position in the oort cloud to the inner solar system in less than 2 years?

King Mob wrote: »
    So even if this story wasn't from a total rag of a news paper with zero credibility in science, and even if the paper discussed in it did say what the article says and even if the paper was evidence of another huge planet and if such a planet even existed, Two questions pop up.
    1) How come this planet doesn't sound anything like what the Nibiru believers say Nibiru is?
    2) How is it going to cross the billions of miles to get from it's position in the oort cloud to the inner solar system in less than 2 years?

Its probably a brown drarf star and i don't think its coming for 800 years , the 2012 stuff i am not sure what thats about yet but you know the solar system has entered an intersteller dust cloud thats 6000 degrees celsius as found out with the voyager spacecraft , maybe the mayans knew the solar system was heading towards an intersteller dust cloud with their telescopes they could have seen it .

Its probably a brown drarf star and i don't think its coming for 800 years , the 2012 stuff i am not sure what thats about yet but you know the solar system has entered an intersteller dust cloud thats 6000 degrees celsius as found out with the voyager spacecraft , maybe the mayans knew the solar system was heading towards an intersteller dust cloud with their telescopes they could have seen it .

Well none of that is true or has any basis in anything resembling reality.

Where did you get this dust cloud nonsense?

Well none of that is true or has any basis in anything resembling reality.

Where did you get this dust cloud nonsense?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Interstellar_Cloud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_dust

And I assume you read this:
    The Solar System is thought to have entered the Local Interstellar Cloud at some time between 44,000 and 150,000 years ago and is expected to remain within it for another 10,000 to 20,000 years

So how would the Mayans have know we were heading into this gas cloud, when we would have been in the cloud for tens of thousands of years and would be in it for tens of thousands years more?

And ignoring this what possible effect would this have even if we are to enter a similar cloud a few years from now?

A video on the NASA buzzroom says in the video "there is no guarantee that earth will be missed"

http://buzzroom.nasa.gov/multimedia/videos/983/

A video on the NASA buzzroom says in the video "there is no guarantee that earth will be missed"

http://buzzroom.nasa.gov/multimedia/videos/983/
    So why should we trust NASA on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

So why should we trust NASA on this?

Because it's the type of official report that you're always looking for ,official ,scientific and NASA.

I don't buy the comet elenin is going to hit us bull and the pole shift rubbish but that's from an official source King Mob ,what more do you want?

I must add that I don't buy "It might not hit us" from NASA ,it will not hit us ,end of!

Because it's the type of official report that you're always looking for ,official ,scientific and NASA.

I don't buy the comet elenin is going to hit us bull and the pole shift rubbish but that's from an official source King Mob ,what more do you want?
    I guess in all for people to understand what "out of context" is and the difference between "media" and "science" is.

Now since espanol man rarely answers any questions I was hoping he would answer this one, as I do not understand why he feels NASA is being honest and is trustworthy on this case, but actively covering up multitudes of other stuff but lying and putting out false information.

I guess in all for people to understand what "out of context" is and the difference between "media" and "science" is.

Now since espanol man rarely answers any questions I was hoping he would answer this one, as I do not understand why he feels NASA is being honest and is trustworthy on this case, but actively covering up multitudes of other stuff but lying and putting out false information.

But in this case he provided a reliable and scientific source, so why not just acknowledge that fact and refute the points within instead of attempting to get a rise out of, or try to show him up?

But in this case he provided a reliable and scientific source, so why not just acknowledge that fact and refute the points within instead of attempting to get a rise out of, or try to show him up?
    Experience.
    Have you ever actually seen espanolman stop and actually engage in a debate?

At best he's going to answer one question, so I asked one I would hope to get an answer for because I can't figure it out without making assumptions.

As for addressing the points of the video, a simple watching of it, they show a plot of the orbits of elenin and earth and clearly show it coming nowhere near us. If the video is to be taken as accurate, why is this bit ignored.

The quote referred to was at the very end and clearly a poor attempt to make a boring subject (to most people) more interesting and exciting.

The full quote is:
    "Because of the possibility that the comet's orbit slightly deviate from, there is no guarantee Earth will be missed."
    This is true of most any astronomical body. Also, terrible grammar.

Now as for it being a scientific source and reliable, again a basic look at the website shows that it's some sort of social network thing that gathers facebook, twitter and youtube links related to space and NASA.
    Further looking at the video it seems to have used this lady as a source:
    http://laura-knight-jadczyk.blogspot.com/
    Not exactly reliable or scientific.

So it's pretty clear the video isn't from NASA, just linked to on one of their social networky sites.

Something in orbit around a binary dark star is coming in , there is no comet elenin , this utube user has observed it for months through a telescope , appartently he has not uploaded anything further to utube because of threats , here is the video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk5l3t--8QQ&feature=feedu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Something in orbit around a binary dark star is coming in , there is no comet elenin , this utube user has observed it for months through a telescope , appartently he has not uploaded anything further to utube because of threats , here is the video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk5l3t--8QQ&feature=feedu
    If it's in orbit around a binary dark star, how could it be in our solar system?

If it's in orbit around a binary dark star, how could it be in our solar system?

The sun is a binary star , its coming in , the dark star , he shows in the video i posted , its moving in relation to the background stars , so its in the neightbourhood , otherwise it would take thousands of years to move in relation to background stars .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The sun is a binary star , its coming in , the dark star , he shows in the video i posted , its moving in relation to the background stars , so its in the neightbourhood , otherwise it would take thousands of years to move in relation to background stars .
    I'm thinking that if the sun were a binary, the other star's gravity would have affected the planets in the solar system in a big way, especially the outer planets. Seeing as there is no evidence in their motion of a binary star, I'm thinking that either this is a so-called 'spectral binary'* with no mass, or it doesn't exist.

*©Monty Burnz 2011

The coma of comet elenin is 27938 kilometers .

A few minutes in he starts to show the photos of comet elenin and the other two :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e51JOEC74gE&feature=feedu

• Advertisement

Elenin , the ELE stands for extinction level event ,:rolleyes: nin is something about an ark .

Advertisement