Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Island

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

what is with trailers this year... might it be good games this year?..

biashock, alice, now this.... damn.... so i guess it should be great year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

AWESOME TRAILER !!!

Need to see some gameplay footage and some details about what the game is about (Besides the obvious :D) but has diffo got me interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mrm

OmegaRed wrote: »
    anyone know the song?

I don't know the name of that piece of music (possibly was composed specifically for the trailer) but it sounds like something from Olafur Arnalds, an Islandic artist who has toured with Sigur Ros.

The trailer and music are great. Its nice how the realtime and reverse are converging to the point of the little girl becoming a zombie. Its great to see such results from talented and competent people, hopefully the game creator is equally talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Some more info on Destructoid, also has a few ingame pics: http://www.destructoid.com/impressions-your-first-look-at-dead-island-194120.phtml

-4 characters, all play slightly differently
    -Characters have stamina so you cant just swing randomly forever
    -Skill trees with new moves and abilities unlock as you play
    -4 player drop-in co-op, think you take your character with you, probably similar to borderlands system
    -Weapons degrade, but can be repaired at certain places (possible currency and economy?)

Look forward to seeing more of the game, hope it offers something other than the usual zombie game genre of "herp derp pew pew pew thousands of zombies dead lulz".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I like the look of this. A narrative driven zombie game where you're just an ordinary joe who doesnt have much in the way of weapons could be great.

Id love a "realistic" take on this genre, something really well written and developed which would put you in a lot of desperate situations with characters you actually give a shít about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

:eek:

I thought this was dead in the water!

I don't get the "What? More zombies?" attitude. I could well say the same with football games. You put the ball in the goal, but look at how well they sell.

And they're making an attempt at breathing a bit of life into the shambling dead genre.

Will watch the vid's when I get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I don't get the "What? More zombies?" attitude. I could well say the same with football games. You put the ball in the goal, but look at how well they sell.

Yep, could say the same about shooters as well. I wonder if they ran out of funding for this. Surly they not be working on it all this time.

I'm excited for this and Dead State.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I admit that if it's more geared towards 'survival' then it could be a fantastic game. Left 4 Dead is the closest thing so far to 'nail' the zombie game, but if they can pull off a game with a different playstyle I'd be interested.

I do still feel there is an excessive amount of zombie games on the market - even the likes of CoD and Red Dead Redemption going out of their way to add zombies to mix (although I believe both of those got the idea fairly right). There are other ideas out there. But if Dead Island goes for a different vibe than the 'mass genocide' style that seems to be popular these days (characterised by the flawed Dead Rising) it's potentially rather interesting.

In any case, the trailer does a damn good job of drilling some hype for a game few people knew anything about yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I love that trailer. It's done really well and the music is just perfect. I'd never heard of this game before but it could be a pleasant surprise this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's a hands-on preview on Gamespot:
    Gamespot wrote:
    It has been a while since we were last marooned on Dead Island back at the 2006 Electronic Entertainment Expo. Now we're back again alongside developer Techland for another brisk outing in its zombie apocalypse, armed with a wooden boat oar and a pocketful of experience points. Our own personal hell: a tropical paradise turned tropical wasteland brimming with death and beautifully rendered in the same engine as Call of Juarez. We recently sat down to watch a demonstration of what it's like to go face-to-face with the walking dead in this gruesome first-person brawler…armed with little more than a oar.

933053_20110217_embed001.jpg This massive island of death is yours to explore, but at your own peril.

Dead Island is all about getting extremely up close and personal with hordes of zombies. Your arsenal is a near-endless supply of mundane items scattered across the ravaged island, including wooden oars, machetes, and the occasional gun or two. If you're feeling creative, you can combine certain items to make powerful new weapons, a la Dead Rising 2, provided you have the right blueprints. Once you have armed yourself with the deadliest vacation items imaginable, it's time to take the fight to the horde. You can fight in one of two ways--we saw both styles in action with an Xbox 360 gamepad. The first, analog, uses one analog stick for movement and the other for arm control. This unique setup looks like it will take some getting used to, but it does allow you more control over the strength and arc of each swing. The second, digital, is a more-traditional setup that will be familiar to anyone who has played console action games. The analog sticks are dedicated to movement, while all the attacks are mapped to the face buttons.

The four unlucky people you will be controlling are described as a leader, a tank, an assassin, and a jack-of-all-trades. Each of these characters brings something unique to the profession of zombie killing and can be further specialized by leveling up and progressing down one of three skill trees. The leader, for instance, can be specialized to boost his party's performance or maximize his effectiveness with the island's limited gun supply. Techland wants to give you plenty of options for dealing with the deceased by loading up each character with plenty of active skills. These skills can then be used in concert with other player's skills to devastating effect, such as using the tank's ability to knock enemies prone followed by the assassin's ability to quickly slay foes.

Our brief demo opened with a man shouting in our character's face. We had awoken in a tiny shack and were instantly aware that something terrible had happened. Apart from the man shouting, we could hear a woman's cries in the distance and some otherworldly growl issuing from beyond the shack's thin walls. Our character quickly discovered that no one here had any idea what was going on. Determined to figure this out, the character snatched up a nearby metal pipe and turned to face whatever was happening outside. Beyond the doorway's illusion of safety, two men were struggling to keep a pack of zombies from clawing their way inside. Without a moment's hesitation, our character plunged into the fray, striking wildly at every rotting face within arm's reach.

933053_20110217_embed002.jpg Slaying the undead requires a personal touch.

Every swing of our character's arm carried with it numerous consequences. Most apparent were the gruesome cuts and gashes that we were carving on our victims. The game's damage modeling seems extensive and, in a twisted way, very satisfying. Each enemy has a health bar and a stamina bar.

Draining all of an enemy's health will kill it, while draining its stamina will only incapacitate it temporarily. Our hero also had his own health and stamina bars, and as he fought, our stamina began to drain, which resulted in less-damaging attacks. His pipe, which had entered this battle straight and clean, had also degraded into a bent, gore-covered mess. Normal weapons will degrade with use and eventually break unless repaired at a workbench, but the aforementioned pipe was not so fortunate.

The last zombie finally fell just as we were approaching our limits. However, it was obvious that even with the immediate threat neutralized the survivors wouldn't be able to hold out long in this simple hut. They would need to be moved, and to do that we received our first quest to locate a key card needed to open up a larger facility. The quest structure in Dead Island is being designed to flow at your own pace. The entirety of the island will be open from the start, and you can stick to the main quest line or explore this open world and deviate down the numerous side quests as you see fit.

However, just before we set out, a sudden flash, a vision, dropped us in yet another unfamiliar surrounding. Computer monitors lined the walls around us, and an ominous, booming voice growled questions at us. Were we willing to kill? Who were we willing to kill? What if it were someone we loved? And with that, the vision ended, just as abruptly as it had begun.

After our character's senses cleared, we realized that a man nearby was barricaded inside his truck, and that a pack of zombies was about to flip it faster than a horde of drunk teenagers on spring break. Our character entered the fight armed with a wooden oar and, after a brief skirmish, left with a bloody, wooden stump. To show his gratitude for being rescued, the man took us to a workbench where we happened upon some blueprints for an electric machete. It just so happens that our character had picked up a machete on our way here, and after rummaging through a few boxes, he produced some tape, batteries, and wire. The resulting combination sliced and diced just like before but could now also stun enemies for a brief time.

Armed with this new weapon, our character quickly racked up enough experience to level up. With that new level came new skills--in this case, the ram skill, which let the character charge through crowds of undead, and the payback skill, which increased his stamina when his health was low. The road to the key card was a long one, and it quickly became apparent that our lone hero didn't have the stamina to fight off an entire island of undead on his own. After collecting the tiny slip of plastic, he ended up putting the ram skill through its paces as he charged toward the potential safe house the card was designed to unlock. Any hopes of rest and reprieve were quickly shattered when the metal shutters opened to reveal a massive, hulking zombie within. Fade to black…this is where our demo ended.

933053_20110217_embed003.jpg Special zombies, such as this straightjacket-wearing tank, will be a lot tougher to take down.

In the twisted world of Dead Island, you and your cohorts are not superheroes. You're just ordinary people placed in extraordinary circumstances, not unlike the unfortunate protagonists found in some of the game's inspirations--including the Walking Dead graphic novels and the Lost television series. More than headshots or bunny hops, the most important skill to master is conservation. You'll need to spend your energy wisely to make the most of it before having to fall back and rest up. And all the joys of zombie slaying can be enjoyed with up to three friends through drop-in, drop-out online cooperative play. Round up all your survival gear, grab your sturdiest boat oar, and prepare to set sail for Dead Island on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC later this year

Sounds quite like Dead Rising meets Borderlands while vacationing with Far Cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

humanji wrote: »
    Sounds quite like Dead Rising meets Borderlands while vacationing with Far Cry.
    QIA :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sounds excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

penev10 wrote: »
    QIA :D

Quality Improvement Agency????

No, no, eh, Qatar Investment Authority????

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Quoted in agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Ya, that's probably it!!! I was close tho!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

For those that want to grab a hold of the music, the Dead Island facebook page uploaded the official version to megaupload here.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4175MKEF

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

For those complaing about too many zombies in games, just announce that there will be a Walking Dead game! Can't see how that will be very exciting tho unless they stick to the comics but sounds like a quick cash in to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Just looked up the developers on there previous games and im a little wary, i hated call of juarez and alot of there previous games were adverge reviewed. hopfully its good

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The Walking Dead is being made by Telltale games, so it'll be a point and click adventure. That could fit pretty well with the way the comic/tv show plays out.

• Advertisement

Heh, check out the Youtube vid of a games reviewer checking out the Dead Island vid.

Mildly amusing.

:D

Heh, check out the Youtube vid of a games reviewer checking out the Dead Island vid.

Mildly amusing.

:D

Is that the guy that stopped watching after a few seconds because of the little girl in it?

This?

It seems faked. Unless you're referring to a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

This?

It seems faked. Unless you're referring to a different one.

LOL.... I thought it was funny :D

Theres this one as well.

Theres this one as well.

I can somewhat understand his reluctance to watch it, especially if he might have a sick daughter the same age (he mentions he had to give his daughter shots while playing Dead Rising 2). I don't think any trailer has ever shown a child being killed either, or has there been one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

humanji wrote: »
    The Walking Dead is being made by Telltale games, so it'll be a point and click adventure. That could fit pretty well with the way the comic/tv show plays out.

That actually sounds interesting, and the Walking Dead is one of the few things getting zombies right, in that it's all about the people.

Not that Dead Island doesn't have a chance to be great, it just looks cheesy and that trailer is pure headline grabbing. The tabloids will probably be all over by Monday - massive sales guaranteed.

I can somewhat understand his reluctance to watch it, especially if he might have a sick daughter the same age (he mentions he had to give his daughter shots while playing Dead Rising 2). I don't think any trailer has ever shown a child being killed either, or has there been one?

That's part of the game in DR2, giving the wee girl shots of Zombrex to stop her turning.

Not saying it's a wrong reaction, I just thought it was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 seriousbuns

they' already making this into a movie... http://kotaku.com/#!5764704/dead-island-movie-already-optioned

• Advertisement

they' already making this into a movie... http://kotaku.com/#!5764704/dead-island-movie-already-optioned

Unfortunately that is just a rumour and not true - at least not yet. From the Dead Island Facebook page

Dead_Island.jpg

Advertisement