Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running the red line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

4k, 24'39".

5k, 29'54".

5k, 31'06".
    Backpack with jacket & jeans; a few micro-walking breaks.

5k, 30'33".

5k, 28'53".
    I knew from the first 10 steps that I had a better flow than usual. I wonder if the rain is actually a help and not a hindrance. Maybe it has a cooling effect.

• Advertisement

6k, 35'50".

I suddenly got a craving for a chicken burger about 10 minutes out. I was considering jogging to the chipper, ordering various battered foods, and then nipping home for some cash to pay for it.

I've really enjoyed the last 2 and a half weeks so its time now to be cautious and to do the increase-by-10%-a-week thing, and hopefully get up to 10k by the end of September without any downtime.

7k, 43'13".

Got a bit lost at one stage and had to stop for 40 seconds to ask for directions (wrong directions, as it turned out) so I did 1k more than planned to make up for it.

7k, 42'08".

Was aiming for 42 minutes and the Garmin said that my average pace was 10kph, so I thought I had it, but I'll just have to be a bit quicker next time.

Edit: I was just thinking that things are going just a little bit too smoothly. This is when my subconscious normally kicks in and sabotages my efforts, and I get lazy and give up. To avoid this and to give myself something to aim for I've just entered the Donadea 10k run on October 15th. In the field where it said 'What time do you expect to finish in' I put 55 minutes. So my goal now is to still be training by October 15th and to do the race in less than 55 minutes. I'll have to do some research and mix up the training a bit as well, once I have increased the distance over the next few weeks.

Immediate promise to myself: Don't do more than 7k for the next 2 outings: Just maintain or improve the pace slightly and enjoy it. I'm only going to end up with a strain or something if I push it. I can already feel my ankle being a bit stiff when I get out of bed in the mornings.

7k, 41'36".

7k, 40'34".

• Advertisement

8k, 46'00".

5k, 29'48".

Only did 5k because my legs felt heavy right from the start. Probably because I cycled on Sunday & Tuesday. Going to knock the cycling on the head for a few weeks. Rest now until Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Hey Lionel, keep up the good work.
    As a 34 y/o 6' 4" guy carrying three stone more than you, i'm running similar distances though slower times :) and have signed up for a 10k at the end of this month (Sep), so following your progress with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Do you still run up Gracepark road? I find it great for training, and try include it most days..... think it'll toughen me up! :cool:

captain P wrote: »
    Do you still run up Gracepark road? I find it great for training, and try include it most days..... think it'll toughen me up! :cool:

Hi Captain P, I planned to start inlcuding it a few months ago but then I got lazy and didn't jog for months. I'm just going to concentrate on getting the distance up to 10k for the next while and then I might include some hills like this. I read that they're good for building speed.

Speaking of laziness, I spent all day yesterday in the pub and most of today in bed. Have to get out tomorrow for sure.

Speaking of laziness, I spent all day yesterday in the pub and most of today in bed. Have to get out tomorrow for sure.

I know that feeling! :)

9k, 53'59".

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/49084242
    Don't know why mapmyrun says that the route starts in Xinjiang, China.
    In reality it was Mountjoy Square, Fairview, Collins Avenue, Drumcondra, back to Mountjoy Square again.

Felt fairly tired. The last 4k were at less than 10kph even though 2k of it was downhill.

Managed to avoid the Croker crowd on the way out but the streets were fairly packed on the way back. 3 separate groups of Tipp fans did that funny thing people do where they jump in front of you and do a jogging on the spot impersonation. My revenge though is that I've just put 10 quid on Kilkenny to win by 1 to 3 points, at 7/2.

Now I fancy some scrambled eggs.

9k, 54'21".

Same route as Sunday. I think that the wind changed direction at least twice so that it was always in my face. A bit slower than the last day but it felt better at the end.

Edit: First run after dark this year! Winter comes.

Friday morning, 9th September: 7.52k, 44'52".
    Was on a boat on the Shannon for a couple of days so this jog was out and back on the Sligo road from Carrick-on-Shannon. It was hard enough at the start so I had to trick myself by promising myself that I'd only do 4k or 5k and then breaking the promise and doing more. Was breathing heavy at the end, and in the words of a mate "sweating like a gypsy".

I have a 10k route planned ( http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/50097770/) that I want to do in the next couple of days but I'm putting it off because I'm nervous that I won't be able to finish, or that its too much too soon, or that its too hilly, or that its too windy outside, and a couple of other excuses.

10k, 60'39".
    I'm pretty happy with the last 6 weeks since I've started back. 7k was the most I got up to last April, and it was a gasping 7k that was followed by an injury and then a 4 month break.

That's enough distance now. One hour is long enough to be pounding around footpaths in the dark. I just want to increase the speed gradually and work on my form. AND I've got to maintain this for long enough that stopping is out of the question. The Donadea 10k is in 1 month, which should help.

• Advertisement

Well done on the 10k!!

5k, 28'47".

Had a lazy 10 days there after my last run, and spent a few days last week hauling a rucksack around a Scottish island, so just did 5k this evening to get back into it.

7k, 41'51".

You'd know its October. Dark early, leaves thick on the ground, and kids dragging wooden palettes through Mountjoy Square. You have to admire their proactivity.

5k Dublin Simon Fun Run in Phoenix Park. 5.05k on my Garmin, 29'48".
    Very slow at the start getting around the walkers. Quite hilly for the 2nd and 3rd kilometre as well. My legs are a bit sore afterwards for some reason. When I was 1k from home, I was thinking "F*ck, how am I going to do 10k next Saturday".

• Registered Users Posts: 45 akeady

5k Dublin Simon Fun Run in Phoenix Park. 5.05k on my Garmin, 29'48".
    Very slow at the start getting around the walkers. Quite hilly for the 2nd and 3rd kilometre as well. My legs are a bit sore afterwards for some reason. When I was 1k from home, I was thinking "F*ck, how am I going to do 10k next Saturday".

I did that too - my Garmin had a fit and the screen went blank at the start, so I didn't get to time myself at all :( Do you know where the chip times will appear?

Thanks,
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 akeady

akeady wrote: »
    I did that too - my Garmin had a fit and the screen went blank at the start, so I didn't get to time myself at all :( Do you know where the chip times will appear?

Thanks,
    A.

I see the results are up now on:

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/view/id/191

ATB,
    A.

5k, 27'56".

My fastest ever 5k, by about 50 seconds. Supposed to be doing the Donadea 10k next Saturday though so I'd better do something longer than 5k during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'd better do something longer than 5k during the week.

There's no need - you can't make yourself any faster this week. All you can do is make sure you get to the start line in the best possible condition. So take it easy for the next couple of days.

I had to abandon my Wednesday evening run for a call of nature, so it was an easy few days after all.

Today, Donadea Forest 10k, 57'11".

Happy with this. Unlike the 5k races, the pace at the start tended to pull me along rather than hold me back. At about the 4k mark I picked somebody who was going at my pace and stayed just behind her for the next 5k. There was a nice cool breeze as well which helped.

Next up is the 10k for the Irish Kidney Association on Oct 23rd in Parkwest

• Advertisement

Irish Kidney Association 10k, in Parkwest.
    9.76k on my Garmin, 56'03".

Pretty similar pace to last week, but a bit quicker at the start and a bit slower at the end. My 5k time was 27'27" which is faster than I've run 5k before by about 20 seconds.

Cold rain from start to finish, and heavy enough for the last 30 minutes. My legs felt very heavy after 6k. I'll have to get some kind of technical top. Running in my favourite oldest t-shirt isn't ideal when its bucketing down.

I had a look around the sanovitae gym in the IFSC the other evening. I think I will sign up (maybe just a weekend membership to start with) because I can see a cold winter ahead.

Advertisement