Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming, cycling and plodding my way to Las Vegas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Had my first ever boink in the pool last night. Decided to try and get a 2,500 straight swim in and felt good for the first 1500m or so then it started to get a bit difficult. Last 300m was hell, I couldn't feel my legs or arms, I wanted to puke, my head hurt, I was drinking pool water on every breath and I was reduced to 2.30 / 100m pace:eek:. When I finished I crawled back to the dressing rooms and lay down. Looking back at it I probably should have eaten more than one scone and a small bananna during the entire day - I won't do that again:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Did you just forget to eat or are you also training for Americas Next top Model? :pac:

Did you just forget to eat or are you also training for Americas Next top Model? pacman.gif

Ha, just a busy day in work and I never got a chance to get lunch and didn't get home until late. I try and avoid stopping for food on the way home as I usually end up with a couple of danish's and a coke:rolleyes:

The last few weeks have been plodding along - averaging somewhere around 8-9hrs most weeks. I had planned on getting a few longer sessions in over the easter break but I had to work for some of it and the rest of it was spent paining the house at the behest of a heavily pregnant emotionally unstable wife to whom I was afraid to say no:D

North Tipp Sprint
    Wasn't too bothered about doing this race but when the forecast looked good for saturday I decided at the last minute to head down so trained as per normal up to Friday night.

Registered and got ready. Was in wave 3 so didn't have to hang around too long.

Into the lane for the swim - 6 of us all saying 15 minute swim. Myself and two other lads agreed a rough stratedgy of taking turns to lead out with the other two drafting. I was a bit nervous about the swim not having done much swimming in the last two weeks but it went ok. I started off in second place and the lad in front of me lead off for 12 or so lengths. I felt good and as he started to slow I tapped him on the feet and went past. I buried myself for the next 12 lengths planning to hand over to the next guy before the end. At 500m a quick peek at the large clock mounted at the swim exit (a great idea) showed just under 9 minutes - looking good for a possible sub 14 minute swim. With about 150m to go I was tapped on the feet and let the next guy go in front except it wasn't the third guy in our drafting group, it was a girl who then proceeded to do a good impression of a drowning rat for the last 6 lengths learning the hard way that drafting is easy, its a lot tougher to lead out :rolleyes: Oh well, all that hard work for nothing. Clock showed exactly the same time as Portlaois 3 weeks ago when exiting the pool so was happy with that.

Did my best to go fast in T1 and as usual seemed to be in there for an age. Out into the road and into the wind and first of the drags. The first 10km on the bike were tough enough - it took me 22 minutes to do the first 10km. I pushed hard though as I knew from one of the posters on the events thread that the return 10km would be fast, and boy was it fast. I did the return 10km in 15 minutes. I managed to spin out the pedals in the smallest ring and was flying, event the uphills were fast. I was passed by 3 or so others during the first 10km of the bike and passed another 3 on the return leg.

Into T2 and again an age. Out onto the run and overtook two other runners immediately. Didn't see anyone else until near the end. Run was tough, lots and lots of drags. I was starting to fade badly by 4km when it finally levelled of allowing some sort of recovery. Managed to catch a couple of the slower lads from the previous wave in the last km and I was caught by one of the guys I had passed at the start of the run as we came into the finish - given he looked about 10 years younger and 2 stone lighter than me I wasn't too bothered.

Finish time was 1.20.15 -Swim 15.10/ T1 1.35/ Bike 37.38/ T2 2.04/ Run 23.48. I was really happy with this as it was quicker than 3 weeks ago even though this course was longer on the bike and the run and was a lot tougher. I was also only around 15 seconds behind a club mate 'on the road' who normally beats me by around 2-3 minutes on the bike and run. His transitions were a minute or so shorter than mine so I have to work on these - its putting on socks in T2 that really slows me down.

Overall a well organised event. NS races really are a different sport to the standard tri. In Portloais my 1.20 got me into the top 40, on saturday it was good enough for a finish well outside the top half of the field. Goes to show the quality on show. The bike bling was unreal as well, I've never seen wave 1 'slow' starters on cervelos with zipps. I had a chance to look at final wave swimmers after I finished and whilst they were impresively fast some of them to my untrained eye seemed to have poor looking technique - straight arm recoveries, no sign of a high elbow:D but what they all had was a streamlined long body shape through the water - something to think about. Glad I made the trip. Congrats to Nenagh Tri Club.

Only a couple of weeks now to the Tri An Mhi HIM. Looking forward to it. I've a rough plan in my head to go hard in the swim, be extra conservative on the bike, and go for broke on the run. Should be interesting, especially as I've yet to get beyond 75km on the bike in training and probably wont before the race. This is all assuming that the wife doesn't go int labour before or during the event (I will be carrying the mobike on the bike and run for this one).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

not the medium for it but - you may very well be right that their technique wasnt the greatest but ... on the other hand

"straight arm recoveries, no sign of a high elbow"

its whats happening under the water the counts - and it does highlight a difference in stroke between pool and open water. When wearing a wetsuit its often better to not fixate on a high elbow since its harder to do and can tire your arms ... as long as your hand is entering as far forward as possible and not short then a straighter arm may not look as pretty but from an energy point of view its often the better option.

Again, not the medium really but hopefully you get what I mean.

• Advertisement

... as long as your hand is entering as far forward as possible and not short then a straighter arm may not look as pretty but from an energy point of view its often the better option.

That's interesting (pardon the oun).....so should the hand be entering the water as far forward as possible or should it be entering alongside the head and reaching as far forward as possible under water?:confused:

griffin100 wrote: »
    That's interesting (pardon the oun).....so should the hand be entering the water as far forward as possible or should it be entering alongside the head and reaching as far forward as possible under water?:confused:

It should definitely be entering as far out in front as possible
    Bear with me, if your hand enters the water near your head and you extend it out under the water (or even on top of the water) you're effectively pushing yourself backwards since youre pushing water away from you in front - even if you're hand is flat there's resistance.

At the end of your stroke, when hand is down around your hip - arm recovers over the water and you reach and extend - finger tips first into the water as far forward as possible (roughly shoulder width apart) - attempting to meet the outstretched hand in the middle can cause 'crossing' and will make swimming in a straight line harder.

Again, hardly the medium but its a fundamental bad habit that alot of people have in my experience. Apologies if Ive confused you / anyone reading this - but in the water it makes sense.

It should definitely be entering as far out in front as possible
    Bear with me, if your hand enters the water near your head and you extend it out under the water (or even on top of the water) you're effectively pushing yourself backwards since youre pushing water away from you in front - even if you're hand is flat there's resistance.

That is something that I've definitely being doing wrong:mad:

Again, hardly the medium but its a fundamental bad habit that alot of people have in my experience. Apologies if Ive confused you / anyone reading this - but in the water it makes sense.

Feel free to use this thread as a medium to speed up my swimming at any time:)

That is something that I've definitely being doing wrong:mad:

Feel free to use this thread as a medium to speed up my swimming at any time:)

In many ways its good news for you so, since you swam 1.15 during IMUK in this way. Lots of analogies that can be used but when swimming if you think of climbing a ladder - your head is in the centre - your hands stretch to grip the rail as high up as possible, roughly shoulder width apart. This approach will obviously avoid pushing water in the wrong direction and ensure you start to 'feel' the stroke more and the roll and rythm (as you stretch you should feel yourself rotate around the centre line onto your side (not too much though)) that should see you swim faster.

I've only had two swims since last week but in those swims I have tried to work on my stroke, especially the concept of dropping the hand into the water as far forward as possible rather than driving it alongside my head as discussed above.

On the first swim I was throwing the hand and arm far forward quite fast and getting tired quickly. I then looked at the link Interested suggested and read the stuff on the swim smooth site and I identified flaws in my stroke, specifically the early hand entry and the outward sweep of my hand at the start of my catch. Went to the pool that night and tried to work out these issues. I ended up doing a straight 2,000m at a very very low effort, probably a PE of 5/10, concentrating on technique and ignoring pace. At the end of the first 1,000m I was fresh as a daisy (unusual for me) and was less than a minute slower than my all out effort time for 1,000m; for the second 1,000m I was within a few seconds of the time for the first 1,000m and overall was at about the same time that a hard 2,000m would give me, all with very little perceived effort - so something must be working:).

Unfortunately haven't had a chance to get back in the pool this week as I got sick. An 11 mile run in the rain last Friday evening gave me a chill (I think) and then to cap it all off I picked up the tummy bug that had worked its way through all of the kids. Have you ever had a coughing fit with a tummy bug - interesting. I got lots of fartlek runs done - random sprints between my bed and the toilet. I also lost approx. 10lbs in two days.

Much better today so after missing three days of training I'll get back into the pool tonight. Problem is I have the Tri an Mhi HIM this saturday and have been looking forward to this for weeks but now I'm not sure about it. I dont know if I'll be in a fit state for it given how sick I was this week. Added to the fact that the weather forcast is sh1te for the weekend I really dont fancy cycling and running for 5hrs+ in the rain. On the plus side the chances of me fitting into my new wetsuit have been greatly increased by my sudden and unexpected weight loss:). I'll see how my body reacts to the swim tonight and make a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I also lost approx. 10lbs in two days.

Excellent...where do I sign up?:)

All the best with the recovery and hope you make it to the start line on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I've only had two swims since last week but in those swims I have tried to work on my stroke, especially the concept of dropping the hand into the water as far forward as possible rather than driving it alongside my head as discussed above.

On the first swim I was throwing the hand and arm far forward quite fast and getting tired quickly. I then looked at the link Interested suggested and read the stuff on the swim smooth site and I identified flaws in my stroke, specifically the early hand entry and the outward sweep of my hand at the start of my catch. Went to the pool that night and tried to work out these issues. I ended up doing a straight 2,000m at a very very low effort, probably a PE of 5/10, concentrating on technique and ignoring pace. At the end of the first 1,000m I was fresh as a daisy (unusual for me) and was less than a minute slower than my all out effort time for 1,000m; for the second 1,000m I was within a few seconds of the time for the first 1,000m and overall was at about the same time that a hard 2,000m would give me, all with very little perceived effort - so something must be working:).

That's a serious iprovement there. If RPE is way dwon and times are the same you're on to a winner.

Where the link to that video that interssted recommended? I don't see it on the thread? Cheers.

Best of luck Saturday. I hope you're well enough to compete. I also hope these winds and the weather in general improves for it.

Where the link to that video that interssted recommended? I don't see it on the thread? Cheers.
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/catch_adv.html

the whole site is worth a read.

So despite being sick during the week and having a wife that was about to pop at any minute I decided to do the Tri An Mhi HIM on Saturday. I was packing my kit on Friday night when it dawned on me that I really had no business doing this race. I have done less than 1,000kms on the bike this year and this race was going to represent 10% of my cycling in the last 7-8 months:( Earlier this year I had put this down as an important race in that it would be a good indication of my fitness compared to this time last year. I had hoped that I would be able to to a 37min swim / hold 31kph on the bike / and get as close to 1.50 as possible on the run. That was all academic by the time last weekend rolled around given my lack of training so I had a new stratedgy of going as hard as possible in the swim and run and being ultra conservative on the bike.

Up at 4.30am on saturday for the 2hr drive to the middle of nowhere. Only for Mloc's directions on the event thred I'd still be looking for the place. Mild panic attack on arrival when I realised there was no mobile signal in the car park - panic over when I realised there was a signal across at the lake. Panic reignited when a message from the wife comes through saying she is feeling a bit funny - I offer to come straight home but she tells me to stay but to keep an eye on the phone:eek: Meet up with Izoard for the first time - nice to put a face to a name.

Weather was windy and rain was a definite. Hhmm, what to wear on the bike.....

Reister to get a t-shirt, water bottle and some gels - all for €65 - good value for money this race.

Looking at the swim course it looked very very short for 1,900m. I know that in the event thread the organisers say it was GPS'd the night before at 1,900m+ but I'd say the wind blew markers inshore overnight. On a 1,900m lap I usually have trouble seeing the marker buoys at the end of the loop without my glassess - not today. It looked more like a 1,600m course max.

Into the surprisingly warm water for the swim. My first OW swim since last september and it showed. My sighting was ****e and I spent quite a whilke swimming wide towards a canoeist with a yellow top on who looked like the yellow marker buoy:rolleyes: Outward leg of swim was rough with the wind in the face but the return was smoother. The same could't said about my stroke - I was all over the place. I got out in 33.xx which suggested a very short course - unless my super new wetsuit has me swimming sub 1.50 100m's even with a crap stroke.

A long long T1 where I made the decision to put bib shorts and a long sleeved cycling top on over the tri suit. Checked the mobile, no messages, and stuck it in a plastic bag and into the pocket and off I went. Being concious of the fact that this would be my longest cycle since last August I took it very easy. On the first lap I only got out of the saddle at the only real hill at 16kms and when I wanted to stretch the legs. Spent the whole 93kms tick tacking with Izoard and a girl in a USA cylcling kit. First lap it stayed dry, half way through second lap the heavens opened, and I mean they opened. Torrential rain that had cars pulling in to the side of the road, torrents of water flowing across the road. I was saturated, but was glad I wasn't wearing just a tri suit - I reckon some of the tri suit wearing cyclists must have come close to hypothermia:D. Then the rain stopped at last.....and the hailstones started....oh ffs.

Finished bike in 3.24hrs. Second lap was just under 4 minutes slower than first lap which was probably due to the weather. I was conservative the whole way around and never pushed up the HR apart from on the only big hill on the course (and when a dog chased me). I had tried out a new fueling strtedgy which was to fill a water bottle with 9 Hi5 isogels and take a mouthful every 20 minutes (whilst checking the mobile for messages) or so and this worked really well when backed up with two banannes and a pack of ride shots. Felt really comfortable the whole way around.

Another slow T2 where I took off the soaking wet cycling jersey and for the very first time and in honour of Betty the seconds visit to Ireland I broke out the IMUK finishers jersey with its multiple union jacks:D Off on the run and the legs felt a bit numb but not too bad. My bottom half felt a bit strange and I then realised I still had bib shorts on:rolleyes: These came off and went into a field. Legs felt good after 2km or so so just kept up a nice steady plod. Run was a hilly course and for the first lap it lashed rain. For the seond half of the second lap it got really hot and I got sunburnt. I had two gels and a bananna on the run and this worked well. With about 3km to go the legs started to feel the 5.30hrs+ and I ended up having to take 5-6 10sec walking breaks but I still managed to get in under 2hrs, which is a first for me in a HIM run.

Overall 6.08 including about 10-11 minutes of transitions. My slowest ever HIM but given my lack of training I was actually happy enough. Other than the last 2km on the run I was very comfortable. I did however finish the run and think how the fcuk did I ever do a full IM:D.

A big congratulations and thanks must go to Tri An Mhi for a great event and in particular to the marshals and Garda who stood out in atrocious weather for hours on end - well done.

I've nothing planned for the next few weeks. I'm tempted to do the Hardman IM distance race in August as I'll be in Kerry with the family at this time anyway - assuming this baby ever comes out - fecker is still ensconssed in the wife. We'll see how it goes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sounded like a rough old day. Good luck on the baby front and the future family/life/training juggling act:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

So despite being sick during the week and having a wife that was about to pop at any minute I decided to do the Tri An Mhi HIM on Saturday.

Mild panic attack on arrival when I realised there was no mobile signal in the car park - panic over when I realised there was a signal across at the lake. Panic reignited when a message from the wife comes through saying she is feeling a bit funny - I offer to come straight home but she tells me to stay but to keep an eye on the phone:eek:

A long long T1 where ......checked the mobile, no messages, and stuck it in a plastic bag and into the pocket and off I went.

I had tried out a new fueling strtedgy which was to fill a water bottle with 9 Hi5 isogels and take a mouthful every 20 minutes (whilst checking the mobile for messages) or so and this worked really well when backed up with two banannes and a pack of ride shots.

I've nothing planned for the next few weeks. I'm tempted to do the Hardman IM distance race in August as I'll be in Kerry with the family at this time anyway - assuming this baby ever comes out - fecker is still ensconssed in the wife. We'll see how it goes:)

Don't know who I'm more amazed at - You or your missus for letting you off :D. Well done. I'm sure you won't be bored over the next few weeks :). All the best.

Baby finally made an appearance last week and despite having a couple of weeks off work in the lead in little training was done. Its now getting very hard to get out in the evening with 4 small kids to try and sort for bed:)

Due to fact that I had to stay close to home over the last few weeks I started doing some new cycle sessions close to home. One was hill repeats on a 0.5mile hill (approx. 2.30mins of climbing) close to home doing repeats of 5 in progressively easier gears starting off in the small ring but well down the cassette. Nice session and 90 minutes of these really gets the legs singing. I also started doing a session that I think Bradley Wiggins uses. Take a hill and cycle up it at a comfortable pace trying to get a cycle of 3-4 minutes in. Go back to the start and then go as hard as you can up the hill. Repeat until you cant make it up the hill faster than your initial time despite pushing hard. Another nice session that gets your lungs and heart going.

I'd been considering the MdS for my 40th birthday in 2013 and was watching this site for updates regarding registration. Unfortunately I should have been watching this site :rolleyes: and I missed the registration for 2013 which happened last weekend. I'm gutted. I did get a place on the waiting list but thats a bit of a pain as I mightn't get the nod until a couple of months before the race and obviously there's a years training in this event. Its also €500 to get a place on the waitlist (but it is refundable). I think I might take the place on the wait list and try and get a place in 2014 when they are made available if I cannot get confirmation on 2013. It could be a blessign in disguise though given the €3,500+ race entry fee:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Congratulations! Sounds like a busy house... nothing like kids as an incentive to get out and train ;)

Congrats on the new arrival!
    MdS looks like a suitably ridiculous event to celebrate a 40th...

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Congratulations on the new arrival.

Always knew IM competitors were slightly cracked, you just proved it my mentioning MdS :D

• Advertisement

The MdS is purely a way of getting me out of the country around the time of my 40th to avoid the dreaded 'surprise' birthday party;)

Given my lack of focus to date I've enterted the Hardman IM Distance Tri in Killarney in August to concentrate the mind. Looks like I'll be dropping somewhere into the middle of Fink's Intermediate plan this week (or perhaps even his Just Finish programme:D). This is what is known as the 'hippy' approach to IM training apparently:cool:

The MdS is purely a way of getting me out of the country around the time of my 40th to avoid the dreaded 'surprise' birthday party;)

Given my lack of focus to date I've enterted the Hardman IM Distance Tri in Killarney in August to concentrate the mind. Looks like I'll be dropping somewhere into the middle of Fink's Intermediate plan this week (or perhaps even his Just Finish programme:D). This is what is known as the 'hippy' approach to IM training apparently:cool:

The early bird offer got to you ? thats two people I know doing the ROK in a slightly novel way in late August. Good luck and congrats on the new arrival.

Good man...look forward to seeing the Hardman tat.

The happy clappy approach to IM might just work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Congrats Griffin i hope the transition from 3 to 4 kids goes well and the transition from sporty saloon car to people carrier does not ruin the street cred to much:)
    That looks like a nice but tough course around Killarney so i look forward to following the progress.

Oh and MdS, yere mad!!

The early bird offer got to you ?

Yup:)

I contacted the organisers and they seem to know what they are doing so as long as we dont have a repeat of the fiasco that was the race that dare not speak its name I think it'll be alright:D

They reckon they'll have a field of about 75 - small enough that I have a good chance of coming last!!!

Was back in Glenalbyn Pool in Stillorgan this week for a lunchtime swim for the first time in a couple of years. It was mental busy in the swim lane but this wasn't a bad thing as you had to pull out and sprint to overtake slower swimmers so it was like interval training.

Still working hard on the stroke. Had my first proper 'IM' swim session last night and was happy enough - 1000m wu / 200 drills/ 300-200-100 of 2.10 per 100m / 200 drills / 300-200-100 off 2.15 per 100m. On the 1,000 wu I managed to get a good 1,000m time for me with a perfectly event 500m split time working on a very low PE. I think I 've got the hand entry and crossing sorted out so now concentrating on the catch and pull - its difficult changing my stroke so completely given that I've been swimming that way for so long.

So the idea of another IM has started to concentrate the mind and training volumes are increasing a bit but nothing too manic. The big difference between this year and last year is getting the time to do long bike rides - swims and runs I can get in but the long bike (>3hrs) is proving a bit of a problem. I may need to start trying to get this done on a weekday afternoon rather than on weekends when 4 kids including the newbie makes this almost impossible. I actually got up at 5.30am on Sunday to get a 4-5hr ride in and when I saw the weather I hesitated; when the kids large playhouse sailed past the kitchen window about 6 feet off the ground I decided discretion was the better part of valor and went back to bed thinking I was glad I wasn't doing the W200. By the time I'd brought the kids to the cinema and had dinner the weather had improved but at that stage the kilo of pick and mix I'd had whilst watching Kung Fo Panda 2 made any exercise impossible. It's luck I have a supportive wife, unlike this guy

I've dropped into the Fink Intermediate Plan at week 19 and by the end of last week I was 12,000m short of where I was last year in swimming (not too bad); 650kms / 24hrs short of bike time (very bad); and 100kms ahead on the running (happy days). I need to get the bike time in as I didn't do enough last year and I'm well behind.

I've completely changed my swim stroke now. The short recovery, hands driven forward under water and the sideways catch and S shaped pull have all gone to be replaced by a longer reach and a catch and pull that concentrates purely on catching and pushing water back towards the rear of the pool with no energy wasted or lost in sideways catching or S shaped strokes - all courtesy of the SwimSmooth link above and the DVD from Dan Bulloch that came with 220 last year. My stroke feels a lot smoother and whilst my times are starting to come down slowly my perceived effort had decreased hugely for the same times. Yesterday I broke 20mins in the pool for 1,000m for only the second ever time in training whilst not pushing too hard, the only other time I've done this was a week before IMUK last year when I was a lot fitter than I am now.

I've also changed the way I cycle, literally - instead of turning right at the crossroads near the house I now turn left. Undulating roads with good surfaces have been swapped for hilly routes with long drags and crap road surfaces. Hopefully this will help my bike fitness without damaging my nice wheels (some of the surfaces are brutal). As my time on the bike is limited I reckon I'll get more from a 40km ride over a tough route than I will from a 50km flat ride.

It's luck I have a supportive wife, unlike this guy

I liked the implication that he couldn't possibly be out for an 8hr bike ride - that he's stopping off for some fun on the way.

The mistress must be delighted to see him after 3 hours in full lycra....rowarrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

It's luck I have a supportive wife, unlike this guy.

I liked this quote
    8 hours sounds a long time, is he **** at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Classic link, made my day in work. i think the wife should take the hint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Cheers for the link some very funny stuff

Get trailer? ****ing hell love, do you know how much effort goes into getting carbon bikes, aero helmets, shaved legs, tri bars, red paint, tight fitting lycra and racing tyres? To have all that go for a burton with a three year old hanging off the back in a lump of steel with a flag on top isn't going to happen. He'll look ridiculous.

Well done in Wicklow.

Advertisement