Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glenroe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Err... Okay guys, I'll take this one.

What is this I don't even :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Did great things to promote the tinkers as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They were way above our time with there flying cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ya know... Glenroe is among the perks of a repressed child hood.

I can't remember a dam thing about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I used to hate it cos it was time for bed afterwards.......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭swarm.of.bees

Sykk wrote: »
    Err... Okay guys, I'll take this one.

What is this I don't even :confused:

It was the 'fair city' of its day. The local homgrown soap show that people watched on sunday nights. Now and then it would have a bit of a cliff-hanger - think 'JR' and who might have shot him sorta thing. I don't think it was ever really very good. But (correct me if I'm wrong) gabriel byrne got his start there(?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

A thread about Glenroe?

Well Holy God!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Do you know Teasy got her name cos she was the biggest prickteaser in the village, she had Dinny & Stephen yanking off around the clock :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The dreaded Glenroe music meant that the weekend was nearly over - it was soon time for bed and then feckin' school again on Monday morning. Horrible.

Damn you and your nostalgia OP. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

Fidelma was scarred for life after she had to rumble with Miley in the hay. She now does terrible ads for bags of food or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

No problem drink driving in those days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The dreaded Glenroe music meant that the weekend was nearly over - it was soon time for bed and then feckin' school again on Monday morning. Horrible.

Damn you and your nostalgia OP. :mad:
    The Glenroe theme tune was the sound of realising you haven't done your homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Remember the time Stephen Brennan picked up some young ones on the side of the road and you could tell from the glint in his eye that he thought he was going to be getting jiggy with him but then they robbed him and left him on the side of the road. Classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Good news everybody.

No wait, wrong show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Best thing about Sunday night was when Theresa Lowe had that quiz show on just before Glenroe... boy did she get the blood flowing in many a young lad back then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

jester77 wrote: »
    Best thing about Sunday night was when Theresa Lowe had that quiz show on just before Glenroe... boy did she get the blood flowing in many a young lad back then!!

Oh yeah, I remember Theresa Lowe. Where in the world did she get to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I remember Theresa Lowe. Where in the world did she get to?

She was on the Late Late a few weeks ago with the hubby Frank McNamara (RTE musician) and (I think) a few of her kids. She's a barrister now, or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Fidelma was some bird, Miley will always be remembered for his roll in the hay with her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Pittybitty

Always knew the weekend was over when this came on :( Was "Where in the World (with Theresa Lowe)" on before or after this? I used to hate it but had to watch it cos my mam thought it was educational :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Pittybitty

sorry - you all got in before me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

It was just the country alternative to Fair City. Both were/are crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

yes tv was crap back then,

I don't agree.

Golden age of television was 1960 - 1989.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Was "Where in the World (with Theresa Lowe)" on before or after this?

Before, Where in the world was on @ 8, Glenroe @ 830

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

God yea "your weekend is over, son, bed after glenroe"

F*ck you RTE!!

F*ck you RTE!!

I wonder what was on after Glenroe in those days (The news obviously but after the news). Everybody seems to have gone to bed strraight after Glenroe. Our parents were keeping some glorious secret!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dallas

Dallas

No, that was on Saturday nights, after mass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Teddy_Picker

RichieC wrote: »

F*ck you RTE!!

Wait, what, whoa...bedtimes...people actually had those?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Gaudizeit wrote: »
    Fidelma was scarred for life after she had to rumble with Miley in the hay. She now does terrible ads for bags of food or something.
    Nah, she's scarred for life because of her real name!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

There was one thing where a Dinny had a female greyhound andFR. Devereux had a male terrier, and the greyhound got pregnant. They stand there looking at the greyhound wondering how the terrier managed it. Dinny said 'Maybe he was standing on a bucket'.

One good moment in umpteen years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Didn't Dinny go to confession as a way of telling Fr Devereux what had happened? And as penance he gave him something like 50 rosaries to say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Was Darina Allens cooking show after the news on a Sunday or was that on a weekday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gunga Din

jester77 wrote: »

the prizes on that "Where in the World" were utter sh**e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

I wonder what was on after Glenroe in those days (The news obviously but after the news). Everybody seems to have gone to bed strraight after Glenroe. Our parents were keeping some glorious secret!

I remember the Sandy Kelly show was on after Glenroe in the 90's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I remember 'Bracken'. Actually I remember 'The Riordans', but I'm taking tablets.

Anyone remember The Riordans on the radio - lasted until 1985.

What was on after Glenroe?

The Nine O'Clock News. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

Dick Moran was my first ever crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I remember it well back in the time when Mary was married to Michael and was having an affair with big Dick Moran.....she was beaten black and blue and we were all guessing who did it. Turn's out auld Michael did it. Then many years later when she was married to Dick..he went off and started shagging Terry Killeen.

Remember Biddy with the perm, back when she was dying about Miley and he fancied Carol....as did Matt Moran who went on to bigger and better things in 'Rawhead Rex'(anyone else remember that?:D).

Yeah back then there was fcuk all else on....'Spitting Image' was on after it..I got to stay up to watch it even though I couldn't understand the half of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Why did it get cancelled? I still remember the theme tune.:D

• Advertisement

Ann22 wrote: »
    I remember it well back in the time when Mary was married to Michael and was having an affair with big Dick Moran.....she was beaten black and blue and we were all guessing who did it. Turn's out auld Michael did it. Then many years later when she was married to Dick..he went off and started shagging Terry Killeen.

I remember that episode vividly - so clear that I know it was episode 9 of the first series - which means it was broadcast in November 1983.

Mary lying on the floor of the house covered in bruises. My mother thought she was dead. "Murdered" she said to my father.

Then the credits came and it was time for bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭van der vart

Harbour Hotel was on the radio everyday, my ma and da used to go out every Sun night straight after Glenroe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Eurgh. hated that show primarily on the fact that it was like a huge bell ringing in the end of the weekend.

Only thing I remember from that show was when Mary clocked Dick across the head with the fire poke and knocked him clean out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

soo funny!! same here though!! :O)
    that made me laugh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I remember that episode vividly - so clear that I know it was episode 9 of the first series - which means it was broadcast in November 1983.

Mary lying on the floor of the house covered in bruises. My mother thought she was dead. "Murdered" she said to my father.

Then the credits came and it was time for bed.

My childhood memories of this might be foggy on this but I seem to recall watching eagerly the following week to see what happened next and it was a big anti-climax. Mary was going about her business as usual though no doubt covered in bruises. I was hoping for some sort of hullabaloo when she was on the floor

Firetrap wrote: »
    My childhood memories of this might be foggy on this but I seem to recall watching eagerly the following week to see what happened next and it was a big anti-climax. Mary was going about her business as usual though no doubt covered in bruises. I was hoping for some sort of hullabaloo when she was on the floor

spot on! Was expecting her to be hospitalised at best - and she seemed fine the following week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CiaraMG21

I used to beg my mam to be allowed to stay up to watch it on Sunday nights. It wasnt because I loved it or even liked it, it was just so I could have an extra half an hour or so up on a Sunday night before school the next day haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

efb wrote: »
    Dallas

DA, DA DA, DA DA DA DA DA DA, DA DA DA DA DA DA....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 aisog

bradlente wrote: »
    I used to hate it cos it was time for bed afterwards.......:(

Same in my house!!I used to love Blackie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

spurious wrote: »
    I remember 'Bracken'. Actually I remember 'The Riordans', but I'm taking tablets.
    i remember watching repeats of
    this on tg4 about 10 years ago. Miley was driving a clapped out covertable of some sort, it was some pile of rubbish! The car not the programme that is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement