Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Navigation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kileir

tui0hcg wrote: »
    I have tried in vain to get a good way to map a route either on the PC (and transfer to my phone) or directly on the phone when I want to go via a location to another location

Example -

I want to go visit Dublin to do a bit of shopping.
    I want to go to Ikea first
    I then want to go to Woodies on the Naas Road
    I then want to go to Dublin Zoo with the kids

How do i set that up?
    I know I can star each place and do one after the other but thats a pain

On your PC use the GET DIRECTIONS option in google maps to select a route to IKEA as normal.
    Save this route to MY MAPS as a new map (lets call it Dublin Trip)
    Next, use the GET DIRECTIONS option again to choose a second route from IKEA to Woodies.
    Save this route to MY MAPS under the same Map - Dublin Trip. The new route is appended to the first route.
    Next, use the GET DIRECTIONS option again to choose a third route from Woodies to Dublin Zoo.
    Save this route to MY MAPS again under the same Map - Dublin Trip. The new route is appended to the first and second route.

Voila, your itinerary is mapped out and already saved on your google maps on your phone. Layers-More Layers-My Maps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Kileir wrote: »
    If you want to enter GPS co-ordinates directly into google maps on your phone then you need to enter the co-ordinates in BRACKETS like so - (53.033745,-7.302734)

Kileir, where do you enter them? In the "Type Destination" box??

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kileir

Yeah Ben, in the "End Point" box or Destination Box in DIRECTIONS

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shed.

So is this constantly adding to your data bill? Is there any way of preloading maps to your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Does Google Nav give traffic info in Ireland, if I display my route, I can see different colours on parts of it,
    grey,
    green
    and yellow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

k123456 wrote: »
    Does Google Nav give traffic info in Ireland, if I display my route, I can see different colours on parts of it,
    grey,
    green
    and yellow

It's a simple colour coded system using green, yellow and red. Green meaning lighter traffic, yellow is mediocre traffic and red is heavy traffic. AFAIK grey is just the normal colour of you're highlighted route. So any section of road with no traffic info will just appear grey.

maps-traffic.jpg

gps.png

Just out of interest , where does Google Nav get traffic info from and is it reasonably accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

Used this today on the way home, it really does kill be battery for a reasonable length journey.

Also tried to get me to take a few illegal right turns in Dublin city center, is there a way to report incorrect directions?

Just out of interest , where does Google Nav get traffic info from and is it reasonably accurate

Bump

Guys,

I have a number of starred places on my Google Maps account on my PC but when I click on "Starred Places" in Navigation on my phone it says I haven't got any?

How can I check that the Navigation app on my phone is referencing the same email address as my PC?

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

BenEadir wrote: »
    Guys,
    How can I check that the Navigation app on my phone is referencing the same email address as my PC?

Ben

Press menu, settings, accounts and sync and check it matches email used on the PC.

Not sure where data comes from, seems accurate enough on M50 at least.

Used it in USA previously and it was spot on all the time.

chinchin wrote: »
    Also tried to get me to take a few illegal right turns in Dublin city center, is there a way to report incorrect directions?

Nope and there's plenty of illegal turns constantly popping up in Dublin city centre.

Very annoying!

Keith186 wrote: »
    Press menu, settings, accounts and sync and check it matches email used on the PC.

Hi Keith,

I operate two Gmail accounts and both of them are syncing email etc. The first email address I registered when setting up the phone is the email address used in the Market application and the one I have several starred items stored in Maps when using the PC.

As it happens I also have starred items stored under the other Gmail address so no matter what email address Navigatio is picking up on it should be picking up the starred items of Gmail address "A" or Gmail address "B" but it's picking up neither :(

Any more suggestions? I find it strange that there is no way within the NAvigation app to see what email address (if any) it is linking to.

Ben

Only use one email address myself so not sure tbh.

Someone should know though.

Probably something weird like a factory reset needed, I know contacts sync best when you input your Gmail accounts on first boot.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi Keith,

I operate two Gmail accounts and both of them are syncing email etc. The first email address I registered when setting up the phone is the email address used in the Market application and the one I have several starred items stored in Maps when using the PC.

As it happens I also have starred items stored under the other Gmail address so no matter what email address Navigatio is picking up on it should be picking up the starred items of Gmail address "A" or Gmail address "B" but it's picking up neither :(

Any more suggestions? I find it strange that there is no way within the NAvigation app to see what email address (if any) it is linking to.

Ben

Bump, anyone?

Hi all,

does anyone know how to get English English (roundabouts etc) instead of American English ("at the circle"!!) working? I don't know how but I recently had a UK voice giving directions calling the name of the road to turn into etc but now (on a new phone) it's using a US voice and not naming the road, it just says " at the next left" etc.

Cheers,

Ben

Advertisement