Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight loss

Options
  • 14-02-2011 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Ok Ladies holiday season is coming up soon? Has anyone found or know of a way to lose 2 stone over a few months and keep it off with out eating stuff u really cant stomach?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

c25k + lots of protein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

- Exercise.
    - Lots of water.
    - 3 meals and 2 healthy snacks a day to keep metabolism going.
    - Keep an eye on your portion size.
    - Don't try starving yourself!

I find swimming amazing even if you can't swim you can still do just as much using a float. Check out the fitness forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Cut out beer, bread, pasta and rice as much as you can and eat more natural food. Protein to maintain your muscle mass, satiate your appetite and plenty of fruit and vegetables (soups are great to get more veggies).

Mixed with a little bit of exercise (walking, swimming i.e. nothing too strenuous, and the weight falls off.

The key is having the discipline to stay away from the starchy carbs and exercising on a consistent basis (i.e. it didn't take a week to gain 2 stone, it's not going to fall off in 2 weeks again). It's as simple as that, think of it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet.

My fee is in the mail ;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Healthy diet and lots of exercise. There is no magic bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

Cut out the crap from your diet, without deciding you'll essentially never eat food again. Just eat more healthily, and have slightly smaller portions at meal times. Have two small but healthy snacks during the day, mid-morning and mid-afternoon, and something like a single slice of bread with peanut butter before bed.

Most importantly, exercise. Studies have shown that interval training can burn up to three times as many calories as normal exercise, as well as raising your metabolism which - when coupled with the healthier diet - means you continue to burn fat even when resting during the day.

It's strict, but it's doable. I need to get back onto it myself - I lost half a stone in three weeks doing it before but then got lazy and put it all back on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 themurphyone

Have you tried any of the weight loss programmes out there? I know of one (not sure if I can menton names on here?) that my sister started a few months ago...the food is really nice, I tried one of the bars and it was nearly nicer than a regular bar! Anyway she has lost weight, how much I couldn't tell you but she's looking great! They mustn't be too expensive either as she's saving for her wedding so I know she wouldn't be wasting money. If you want to PM me Im sure theres no rule against me telling you their name....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Cut out bread. Completely! No bread. And cakes/biscuits/sweets/chocolate etc. I don't believe in the whole "treat yourself once a week" thing. I find when you do treat yourself you'll go overboard. But I don't know if that works for everyone. I'm an all or nothing kinda person when it comes to this kinda thing!

Don't eat after 8pm. That's when lots of people eat the most (crap) and that's what causes most people to put on weight. This might not be suitable if you work nights/whatever though.

Exercise! 6/7 days if you can. Running seems to be the best for weightloss. Swimming is good exercise...but you'll only really lose weight if you're swimming a lot in one session, I find. And some kinda weights.

I sound really strict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That's a bit unsustainable, in my opinion, Lia. I would recommend: drastically cut down on bread, but if you want the odd slice, only have wholegrain. Ditto pasta and rice. Keep dairy down to the basic requirements too. Do allow yourself the odd treat, but just something like a bag of Buttons. Lots of protein (eggs, chicken, fish), lots of fruit and vegetables. Daily intense exercise - cardio combined with weights if possible.

Why two stone OP? Don't focus too much on the scales, just how clothes fit you. Lots of water for instance can actually cause weight gain, as can the building of muscle if you go to the gym (not bulging biceps or anything, just firming/toning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i lost over 5 stone by doing the following - eating loaaaads of fruit and veg, lean meat, all dairy to be low-fat, eggs, wholegrain pasta and rice. i'm not really a bread person so that didnt bother me. and the odd treat here and there - wine, the occasional chinese, and chocolate every now and again.

i did a bit of exercise, but not a huge amount, as am not a big fan of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Don't eat after 8pm. That's when lots of people eat the most (crap) and that's what causes most people to put on weight. This might not be suitable if you work nights/whatever though.

Exercise! 6/7 days if you can. Running seems to be the best for weightloss. Swimming is good exercise...but you'll only really lose weight if you're swimming a lot in one session, I find. And some kinda weights.

I dont mean to be blunt but there's bad advice here that needs to be corrected. It doesn't matter a jot what time of the day you eat as long as you are less than you are burning off (either through exercise or just normal day to day living).

Running can be good and I'd recommend the Couch to 5k (known as C25K, its a 9 week programme hich get you running but in a gentle gradual way). Iff you start running straight away without easing into it, you will get pee'd off with it pretty soon and stop doing it.

Also exercising for 6/7 days is tough going and very extreme. After all you do need to let your muscles rest.

Id recommend that you check out the health and fitness forum to get more ideas http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=252

• Advertisement

I think the less strenuous forms of exercise, like walking, would be fine six or seven days a week, but yeah, best to take a day's break in between the more intense stuff, like gym workouts.
    I agree too about the eating times thing - I don't eat a huge amount during the day because I'm sitting at a desk, but in the evenings I exercise, so then I'm naturally more hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Melissa89

I'm losing weight atm, have a stone lost so far. Just cut out the crap from my diet, started eating a good healthy breakfast (I used never eat breakfast), dinner in the middle of the day, instead of 8 or 9 when I finish work. Switched to wholegrain everything, would find it too hard to cut out carbs myself. lot's of protein and lots of fruit and veg. and most importantly, lots of exercise. Joined bootcamp two weeks ago, so that's keeping me on my toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Dudess wrote: »
    That's a bit unsustainable, in my opinion, Lia. .]

For most people, yes it would be. But personally I can't really "lower" my intake of most foodstuffs without cutting them out completely.
    SheRa wrote: »
    I dont mean to be blunt but there's bad advice here that needs to be corrected. It doesn't matter a jot what time of the day you eat as long as you are less than you are burning off (either through exercise or just normal day to day living).

Sorry, I didn't mean it in that way. I meant it in more of a discipline kind of way. A lot of people I know keep their healthy eating habits going during the day when they are up and doing stuff, but when they get home in the evening they relax and get into a habit of eating biscuits/cakes/taytos etc.. I've seen it with lots of people. A comfort thing I guess.
    Also exercising for 6/7 days is tough going and very extreme. After all you do need to let your muscles rest.
    I exercise everyday and never had any problems :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Anyone who can lose weight (and keep it off) without exercise is either being very strict, or a miracle worker.

Ok, I know everyone's different, but my story goes a little like this: I haven't been to the gym since October - personal reasons, then bad weather, then my gym membership expired, and now I'm moving halfway across the country, so there's little point in joining a gym here. I'm a big girl, and I lost 3 stone between June and October. Even without exercise I've maintained that weightloss over the past 4 months. Had I lost that through diet alone, given how I've been eating for the last month I'd be back to square 1, or even further back than that. Exercise is yer only man, and when you find the exercise that you enjoy, it won't be any problem to you. I hate feeling sweaty, but I love reaching my goals in the gym - mainly time rather than distance targets - and that trumps the ick of sweat.

The only way to sustainably lose weight is to be sensible. If it means you don't get the 2 stone off for your target, you have to ask yourself which is more of a priority - lose lots temporarily, or lose whatever you want to lose gradually and FOREVER. For me, the latter is what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I am not being smart here but you eat less food, and move around more. We all know what to do. so you do it. Eat lots of green things less white things and very very little processed things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 1daydreamer

I lost 4 stone in 6 months. I exercised between 4-6 days a week with an hour long aerobic exercise dance class (zumba), I ate a healthy diet (lean meat, fish and dairy, lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains), drank lots of water, and watched portion sizes but did not count calories. I did not avoid treats just limited myself to a bite or two of whatever it was (cake, chips, chocolate, etc). The best part is not the 4 stone, it is the energy I have now. Just losing weight doesn't look as good as all-over muscle tone and fitness. So I might have been able to do it faster, but not necessarily with as good of an outcome. I am really happy with my body now, and am actually looking forward to wearing a bikini for holiday this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

flood18 wrote: »
    Ok Ladies holiday season is coming up soon? Has anyone found or know of a way to lose 2 stone over a few months and keep it off with out eating stuff u really cant stomach?

I'm self-pimping here but there's a huge amount of info in the first few posts of this thread :)

I lost 4 stone in 6 months. I exercised between 4-6 days a week with an hour long aerobic exercise dance class (zumba), I ate a healthy diet (lean meat, fish and dairy, lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains), drank lots of water, and watched portion sizes but did not count calories. I did not avoid treats just limited myself to a bite or two of whatever it was (cake, chips, chocolate, etc). The best part is not the 4 stone, it is the energy I have now. Just losing weight doesn't look as good as all-over muscle tone and fitness. So I might have been able to do it faster, but not necessarily with as good of an outcome.
    Jeez, give yourself a break girl - four stone lost the correct, healthy way in six months is amazingly fast. Well done! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jeez, give yourself a break girl - four stone lost the correct, healthy way in six months is amazingly fast. Well done! :)

I think she means even faster = not lasting!

which is probably true

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For most people, yes it would be. But personally I can't really "lower" my intake of most foodstuffs without cutting them out completely.
    I'd be the same TBH. I'd largely agree with you about the bread and other stodgy stuff. People eat so so much of it. Portions are all. A mate of mine and his missus lost weight by buying smaller bowls and plates. :D I kid you not. I laughed at the time but I've not bought plates in yonks and they've gotten bigger. :eek:
    I exercise everyday and never had any problems :/
    Yep because you never stopped. You're in condition. I've been in and out of condition and being in the latter now, if I kicked off on a daily exercise routine without being real careful I'd probably break something or hurt too much and stop. And I'm lightly built for my height. If I was heavy on top of that I could do some real damage.

I'd say weights myself. And not the little pink yokes either. Heavy ones. You won't build bulky muscle if you're a lady*. Muscle burns fat just sitting there. If you cycle or run distance work you're burning calories while you're doing it, but when you stop you stop burning soon after. After shifting heavy things you keep burning for much longer. It tones you and tightens everything up. Internally in your core as well. It's generally less of a shock to the joints(with proper form) too. It increases anabolic hormones in the body like human growth hormone so keeps you younger for longer :) It seems to burn off cellulite like a bugger too judging by the results gained by two exes.:confused: Dont quote me on that though.

I'd pop into the fitness forum and take it from there.

*Hell for most blokes they won't unless they put serious serious effort and are genetically lucky. Even the bodybuilder freakshows pumped on steroids put in almost superhuman efforts in the gym to get like that. They eat like horses too. Muscle is very calorie "expensive" for the body. It doesnt like putting it on if it can help it as it burns food. This was a good thing in our ancient past. Not so much now with lots of food about. If you diet alone it seems the body reduces the muscle as much as or more than the fat, because it thinks it's starving and wants to economise and get rid of the expensive muscle habit. So now you you're burning fewer calories when you stop the diet. No wonder they don't work too well.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Overall depends on what you want to do and what you think fit is, along side the losing weight.

Running / Cardio along the lines of C25K as mentioned earlier will help with Stamina / flexibilty.

Where as Weights as mentioned above by Wibbs, not only helps with strength, but from what I've been reading up lately, seems to increase matabolism by quite a lot more.

Also, you don't even need to shell out for Dumb bells or other weights, be they small pink ones, or big Wibbs sized'uns. ;P

There's plenty of progams put up (on websites such as menshealth.co.uk and mensfitness.com [they have womens sections too]) that show how to do a few exercise progams using your own body wieght, by using chairs, leaning against the end of your bed and such.

although as I mentioned above, overall it all depends on what you want out of it, a part from the losing weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Cut out bread. Completely! No bread. And cakes/biscuits/sweets/chocolate etc. I don't believe in the whole "treat yourself once a week" thing. I find when you do treat yourself you'll go overboard. But I don't know if that works for everyone. I'm an all or nothing kinda person when it comes to this kinda thing!

+1, I'm the exact same. I cut out choc etc., completely about 10 years ago for the simple fact that I can't moderate, and I can honestly say I never even have a want for it now! That said, I eat alot, and if I didn't exercise then I'd probably be twice the size I am now! It really is important to get some kind of exercise in daily, even if it's just a quick jog in the evenings to start with - something is better than nothing!

I'd definitely suggest starting a decent weights program too, and I don't mean with those 1-3kg pink dumbells you get in Argos, they're a waste of time. Get a session in with a trainer who can show you the basics, and take it from there. Sorting out my diet made me smaller, but it's weight training that's made the most difference to my shape as opposed to just being a smaller version of myself.

You'll find that when you're exercising regularly, it makes you think twice before reaching for the junk food, because it somehow just doesn't seem worth it if you're going to undo all the work you've done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 flood18

Thanks Laddies for all ur advice. Tomorrow is going to be the day i start and i'm in a gym and can swim a wee bit so i'll try something and cut of the crap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I'm losing weight at the mo, cut down on bread and alcohol, eating way more fruit and veg and after switching to skim milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

flood18 wrote: »
    Thanks Laddies for all ur advice. Tomorrow is going to be the day i start and i'm in a gym and can swim a wee bit so i'll try something and cut of the crap!!!

If you're in a gym, you could try and get a good programme from one of the trainers to help the weight loss & toning. I started two weeks ago, got a programme & just cut out the crap I was eating like chocolate & crisps, and so far have managed to lose half a stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mimi7365

Wow 4 stone in 6 months, thats amazing. I'm really struggling to lose tummy weight. All over body size is ok but tummy just never seems to budge. Could be because of c.section with 2nd baby or I've heard that the Mirena coil causes tummy bloating aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Ive lost 1 stone in a month.

Like most said, cut out alcohol, chocolate, desserts, carbs.

What i mainly eat:
    big bowl of porridge with a bannana or apple chopped

big bowl of vegetable soup with plenty of greens and tofu added in.

Liquid food fills you up more then solids.

I also cut back on Juice as I used to drink 1 L aday. Now i drink more water and drink less juice. I found the juice was dehydrating me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

* Cut the processed carbs.
    *Increase protein intake.

**Only eat food your great grandmother would recognise.

Breakfast: Porridge or a boiled egg

Morning Snack: 6 Almonds

Lunch: Apple and some prawns

Dinner: Salmon, Brocolli, Sml. amt of Brown Rice

Snack: Sml amt of cottage cheese

Plenty of water!!!!!

You won't be hungry on the above and you will see weight loss!!!!

No crisps, cake, chocolate, etc.

No restaurant size portions. If you have to have a sandwich make it at home - no spar size sambos!

Good luck!

Plus exercise - walk or cycle everywhere instead of using the car.
    Do an exercise DVD at home.
    Get off the bus a few stops early.
    Take the stairs rather then the lift.

I agree with everything above except for aspects of the daily plan (porridge for breakfast, ideal - but just one egg as an alternative? We're supposed to have a decent breakfast!) I don't have a big appetite and I would be starving on that diet! An apple and some prawns for lunch? Misery! And it's seriously lacking in fruit and veg, and there isn't even that much protein. Bet the calorie count is really low - how can a person exercise on that little energy?
    Something as extreme as that would result in the OP reaching for the biscuit tin after a day. Seems like a plan for someone who is on a cut.

I keep hearing mixed messages re which is more important - diet or exercise. The overwhelming consensus seems to be diet, so I find it interesting how it seems to have been the opposite for Blush.

Blush, do you do extremely intensive exercise? Congrats on the weight-loss btw - well done you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I keep hearing mixed messages re which is more important - diet or exercise. The overwhelming consensus seems to be diet, so I find it interesting how it seems to have been the opposite for Blush.

It was mostly exercise which did the trick for me in losing just under 5 stone a few years ago. I *was* watching my diet at the same time, but the key for me was simply running quite a bit because I wasn't overly strict about my diet. I'm still probably about 10lbs heavier than I should ideally be, but I'm a bit meh about losing that.

Advertisement