Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update on NI's most lethal weapon

Options
  • 14-02-2011 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Well, it's been 6 months since I collected him in Bangor under heavy guard of the Enforcement Officers of the Down Borough. He has made national headlines and then quietly settled in here at EGAR.

He is remarkably sane after his nearly 3 year stint in solitary and the abuse he suffered. He is bombproof with cats, horses and livestock, he adores children, he gets on well with other dogs and show no aggression towards people although he shows some fence aggression and has a problem with hooded peeps (although the last two can be easily corrected by voice). I also got some obsessive behaviour under control withing weeks of arrival.

And by now he can open doors and lets himself into my bedroom for a snooze on my bed but not before he opens the door into the sitting room to let Phoebe out :D.

Bruce has now started a new career. Last week he participated in his first agility class and what can I say....? He was cool calm and collected amongst masses of peeps and other dogs of all shapes and sizes. He took every obstacle at first try and was delighted with himself afterwards. Biggest grin ever!

Pics are not the best as camera got slightly wet..

SLOW DOWN, Brucie!
    168021_10150102711600889_169411475888_6362374_620371_n.jpg

With his friend Rosebud and my little man
    180981_10150102713925889_169411475888_6362424_4570725_n.jpg

And this is what he gets up to at home, he eats my crocs...

59858_448488340888_169411475888_5281988_6825900_n.jpg

He is an utter sweetheart!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Thats a fine looking dog there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

Great character! Sounds like a good mate. What where the national headlines?
    Continued happiness with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Bruce does agility - what a fantastic counter story to his years of confinement.

He's a great looking dog - he's very similar, in both size and markings, to my Gus (though Gus is tan and white, but he has that one patched eye and one white eye). Am also looking forward to starting agility with Gus in about 9 months time when he's 18 months old, (but then I'm looking forward to Gus growing out of puppyhood - I'm so not cut out for puppies, I should stick to cats!!!)

Is Bruce going to stay with you as your own in EGAR, or are you still waiting for the proper home for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

What an amazing dog, to have come through what he did, and to bounce back like this is fantastic. He really highlights how amazing these canines are, all that abuse and yet he still likes people. How many people have one bad experience with a dog and then hate the whole canine world forever, and bring in stupid legislation:mad:

Great photos Sarah, thank you for sharing but of course no media there to see him turn out to be such a sweetheart.

Long may he continue his agility and having fun.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I love seeing these pics, he is a very handsome man, that smile is award winning.

Yes, I am still hoping for him to be re-homed eventually but no suitable adoptee has come forward so far. I want a home for him where he can be a dog and not THE Bruce.

It was very strange going to that lesson (second one will be tomorrow). People automatically moved away from Bruce and I until I stood pretty much alone in a corner :(. Only one guy allowed interaction between his dog (GSD) and Bruce, the rest avoided us like we had a contagious disease.

Bruce behaved impeccably and I felt like shouting at them: *You have no idea what this dog has been through yet your ignorance continues to keep him in solitary!" :(

But alas, Bruce is one in a million and I am not giving up to show the world what a brave and beautiful dog he is, both inside and out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

EGAR wrote: »
    It was very strange going to that lesson (second one will be tomorrow). People automatically moved away from Bruce and I until I stood pretty much alone in a corner :(. Only one guy allowed interaction between his dog (GSD) and Bruce, the rest avoided us like we had a contagious disease.

That is so sad,:( I am so pi$$ed off reading that. He is such an amazingly fantastic dog. So friendly and adorable.

Assholes :mad:

TillyGirl wrote: »
    That is so sad,:( I am so pi$$ed off reading that. He is such an amazingly fantastic dog. So friendly and adorable.

Assholes :mad:

Thats pi$$ed me off as well. I always assume that people who can be bothered to take their dogs to things like agility are dog friendly and not numptys.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Sounds like you've done great work with him, well done. If only people could realize it's the owners that are the problem NOT the dog.
    I also really like the croc-destroying photo...and I can think of another dog who had a similar look on his face after spreading a bag of flour around my floor :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Wisco wrote: »
    Sounds like you've done great work with him, well done. If only people could realize it's the owners that are the problem NOT the dog.

Bruce wasn't a problem in this case, he was a victim of UK Bulls*** legislation :(. It's great to see him have a normal doggy life :D. I'd have him in a flash but I need a job first, and somewhere to live myself second :rolleyes:

I am angry beyond words. I am actually so angry that I can barely breathe. I have just had a phonecall from a blocked number and it was the agility instructor from last week. He said that Bruce, Morgan and Lucy MUST BE MUZZLED if they want to continue to participate in Agility. Bear in mind that neither Morgan nor Bruce are a restricted breed and that none of the three showed ANY aggression towards people or dogs last Tuesday...He gave me a cock and bull story about how he *didn't know we were coming..???? When I posted on EGAR FB a long time in advance and gave their new founded *club* lots of exposure AND my money???

They are both AmBulls. Jill's little Lucy is a Staffie and therefore restricted but since the training is held on private property the restricted breeds act doesn't apply.

I signed a contract last week at the first session, NO mention of restricted breeds, NO muzzling AND there were lots of GSD's and Doberman yet they are ok to go unmuzzled?? I am hopping, absolutely hopping and of course am pulling out and will demand my money back although I dread having to tell my 6 yro :(.

WHAT hope is there for Bull Breeds if so-called professionals are THAT ignorant and breedist?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

I don't blame you at all. That is unbelievable. Someone or some stupid clique at the training must have complained. Otherwise why would thay have phoned you?

I agree with ISDW on a previous point - where were the media to follow up on the happy ever after Bruce story???

You have done a great job with him and don't worry. There must be other agility classes he can go to??

Have a glass of wine! It will be their loss.
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

I am angry beyond words. I am actually so angry that I can barely breathe. I have just had a phonecall from a blocked number and it was the agility instructor from last week. He said that Bruce, Morgan and Lucy MUST BE MUZZLED if they want to continue to participate in Agility. Bear in mind that neither Morgan nor Bruce are a restricted breed and that none of the three showed ANY aggression towards people or dogs last Tuesday...He gave me a cock and bull story about how he *didn't know we were coming..???? When I posted on EGAR FB a long time in advance and gave their new founded *club* lots of exposure AND my money???

They are both AmBulls. Jill's little Lucy is a Staffie and therefore restricted but since the training is held on private property the restricted breeds act doesn't apply.

I signed a contract last week at the first session, NO mention of restricted breeds, NO muzzling AND there were lots of GSD's and Doberman yet they are ok to go unmuzzled?? I am hopping, absolutely hopping and of course am pulling out and will demand my money back although I dread having to tell my 6 yro :(.

WHAT hope is there for Bull Breeds if so-called professionals are THAT ignorant and breedist?

That is some load of bollox. There must be another place that you can go?

Well a lot of people are better off knowing that this particular club are so ignorant and I am sure that they will steer clear

Name and shame them. How dare they, there is no hope is there - I can feel your anger from here, and I share it. Do they do flyball there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I can't believe they did that!!!!

I compete in agility and there are loads of RB's competing, never mind training in clubs all around the country- staffies and staffie x's, GSDs, dobies etc. I have a GSD x myself, all competition forms are filled out saying what breed she is and never have I been asked to muzzle her. It's absolutely outrageous that you were asked to muzzle your dogs. I'm trying to think of other training classes in Galway.... was that Galway dog club that you had started with?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

He just wants to keep his regulars happy no doubt.

Sickening :mad:

Wait a minute.....why doesn't he use this opportunity to show those regulars or whoever is worried that these dogs are ok and such? I mean he could help change their minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Yes, I am still hoping for him to be re-homed eventually but no suitable adoptee has come forward so far. I want a home for him where he can be a dog and not THE Bruce.

Bruce behaved impeccably and I felt like shouting at them: *You have no idea what this dog has been through yet your ignorance continues to keep him in solitary!" :(

But alas, Bruce is one in a million and I am not giving up to show the world what a brave and beautiful dog he is, both inside and out!

I wonder if it is the other people on the course complaining rather than the trainer. It is better for him/her to appease the masses than you.

I love bulldogs/staffs/pitbulls etc - but then I have had a lot of dealings with them. They are a terrifying looking dog though - and that can't be forgotten, when other people come into contact with them.

Don't ask for you money back - get the trainer to do classes private with you, your son & the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Have the previous owners been down to see him since you have had him?

Still furious.
    Would love to organise a mass flash group or agility people who have RB's and just show up at one of his classes and see what he says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Still furious.
    Would love to organise a mass flash group or agility people who have RB's and just show up at one of his classes and see what he says

We could all turn up with all the EGAR dogs..I'd be up for that!

I posted on their facebook page, they will either delete the comments or the page itself! So mad at this, complete BS :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I wonder if it is the other people on the course complaining rather than the trainer. It is better for him/her to appease the masses than you.

I love bulldogs/staffs/pitbulls etc - but then I have had a lot of dealings with them. They are a terrifying looking dog though - and that can't be forgotten, when other people come into contact with them.

Don't ask for you money back - get the trainer to do classes private with you, your son & the dogs.

No I think it better the trainer do the right thing. And bare in mind this is 4 people in a class of 15 approx he's upsetting. Almost a third of his group.

Bruce is a gentleman of a dog. It's not like these people saw the "big scary dog" for a just a min. They watched him interact with his people, saw how well behaved he was. If they STILL thought he was terrifying looking, it's pure ignorance and that shouldn't be pandered to.

(have to disagree with you in saying they are terrifying looking, I think they are fabulous :D)

homerhop wrote: »
    Have the previous owners been down to see him since you have had him?

No, not a peep from them.

They are a newly founded club and can barely afford the negative publicity. Also, a muzzled dog in agility is a health and safety hazard to himself.

I don't care if the Pope called and complained, they are in breach of contract and the trainer even handled Bruce last week at the tunnel without a hitch, so ...:confused:?

Anyway: Western Dog Sports and Training Club - YOU STINK!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Western-Dog-Sports-Training-Club/184476711584896?v=wall

Have put up a message on their facebook page. Just changed my own status to ask my agility friends to message that club

:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

I have to say I think it is very unfair that you are being asked to muzzle your dog, especially as it has been proven to be safe. I have grown up around GSD's and do not believe the restricted breed list is in any way effective.

However I think you need to discuss it further with the trainer. I hope that they are just being overly concerned about health and safety and will with some negotiation change their mind.

And to be fair with how difficult it is for small businesses at the minute you have to respect people fears when it comes to law suits etc. I wouldnt be too annoyed if I was you, its not a personal attack or any reflection on the dogs personality or performance.

I would just keep up the classes and work on building people trust, hoping that you can educate them on the way.

eilo1 wrote: »
    I have to say I think it is very unfair that you are being asked to muzzle your dog, especially as it has been proven to be safe. I have grown up around GSD's and do not believe the restricted breed list is in any way effective.

However I think you need to discuss it further with the trainer. I hope that they are just being overly concerned about health and safety and will with some negotiation change their mind.

And to be fair with how difficult it is for small businesses at the minute you have to respect people fears when it comes to law suits etc. I wouldnt be too annoyed if I was you, its not a personal attack or any reflection on the dogs personality or performance.

I would just keep up the classes and work on building people trust, hoping that you can educate them on the way.

But is dangerous for the dog to do agility wearing a muzzle. Why should a dog be put at risk in this way?

ISDW wrote: »
    But is dangerous for the dog to do agility wearing a muzzle. Why should a dog be put at risk in this way?

I dont disagree with you with, but im sure the trainer is just freaking out and thinking that its more dangerous to have this dog unmuzzled than other (less aggressive in his opinion) unmuzzled dogs on leads.

I dont think this is in the best interest of bruce, however we live in a sue happy country and I am sure this trainer thinks he is just being responsible to the other dog owners.

eilo1 wrote: »
    I dont disagree with you with, but im sure the trainer is just freaking out and thinking that its more dangerous to have this dog unmuzzled than other (less aggressive in his opinion) unmuzzled dogs on leads.

I dont think this is in the best interest of bruce, however we live in a sue happy country and I am sure this trainer thinks he is just being responsible to the other dog owners.

If I was an owner of a muzzled dog doing agility and the dog got hurt, I would sue the arse off him. None of these dogs have ever shown any aggression, what reason is there to muzzle them? I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever. Dog trainers should be on the frontline of educating people about deed not breed, not enforcing the negative stereotypes.

a.) Bruce is NOT a restricted breed

b.) he was impeccable behaved for the over two hours we were there last week

c.) he phones me a week later from a blocked number at half 8 at night the eve before the second session to tell me Bruce has to be muzzled and as no explanation as to why?

d.) Bruce was muzzled 24/7 during his incarceration and the muzzle grew into his skin, I WILL BE DAMNED BEFORE I PUT A MUZZLE ON HIM FOR NO GOOD REASON

e.) I signed a contract last week, NO mention of muzzling ANY dog

f.) he provides a service for which I have paid - simples

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    Dog trainers should be on the frontline of educating people about deed not breed, not enforcing the negative stereotypes.

You are right they should be educating people and sometimes you have to just work from the inside out, even if it is frustrating.

Advertisement