Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to hide pets from landlord?

Options
  • 13-02-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

OKay here's my query. I have two lovely kitties and a King Charles puppy. Myself and my boyfriend are moving house in a month, and I don't think the new house allows pets.

I'm not getting rid of my animals and I realise that not moving house may be an option so please hold any advice in relation to either of these two. I'm looking for ways to hide the animals from the landlord.

I'm an excellent tenant, sometimes the houses I leave are in better condition when I go that when I first moved in. I would repair any damage done by the animals, but I'm looking for ways to minimise the damage and also make sure the landlord or letting agent don't find the animals.

There's a garage attached to the house so the cats will sleep in there with some heatpads from zooplus and a giant cat tree. I won't be letting them into rooms with carpets. I won't let them on chairs unless they're on my lap, or they're sitting on a blanket. They use a litter tray, but there's a large garden and the house is detached so they'll be allowed outside as well. I need to protect the door into the garage though, and was thinking of putting up tin foil or cardboard or something? Any suggestions here???

The puppy is still in the process of being house-trained but she's nearly there, and there's a big door in the main front room so if she's in there with us she can go to that door if she needs to go to the toilet. I'm thinking of crate training her for the nights so that she doesn't do any damage. And she'll be walked away from the house.

Now the landlord said he may pop in every few weeks (the family are moving to the UK but he'll be back every so often for his business) but the letting agent has assured us that he won't be doing this without giving us notice.

So what do people think? Can this work? Is there anything I should be doing to make sure no one finds out? I'll be hoovering and cleaning and mopping the whole time, and I'm doing my best to make sure furniture won't be damaged.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

don't think the new house allows pets.
    First things first, phone and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UnyBoo

Well the letting agent told us that dogs are not allowed, but she didn't mention cats. The house is beautiful and it's a first letting so the family are quite anxious about it. They've agreed to give it to us, despite huge interest in the place. And I'm half afraid to ask now, even hypothetically, in case it raises their suspicions.

There are two letting agents showing the house so I texted them from a different number. One said "Shouldn't be a problem" (the one we're not going with) and the other said "No sorry the house is gone". (the one we are going with)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

UnyBoo wrote: »
    Now the landlord said he may pop in every few weeks (the family are moving to the UK but he'll be back every so often for his business) but the letting agent has assured us that he won't be doing this without giving us notice.
    Thanks

Pop in every few weeks? I definately wouldn't allow this. The landord can inspect at reasonable intervals, i.e. every six months, maybe 3 months at a push but surely can't be calling in to look at the house every few weeks. You are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of your home. The landlord and his family need to realise that this is your home now while you are leasing, not theirs.

As for the animals, I'd chance it if I were you if you are absolutely certain that they will do no damage and the house will be given back a perfect as you got it. You will need to be disciplined though and not slip in your standards or you may loose a hefty chunk of your deposit. Are you really going to leave your two kittens out in the garage for the entire time you are living in the house or will you start letting them in to roam the house after a few weeks/months. If the landlord is giving plenty notice about his visit, maybe one of you could bring the animals out in the car or something while he is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Why would you disrespect someone's right to ask for tenants with no animals? Why do you think you have the right to just ignore this stipulation?

I respect that you are a good tenant and take you at your word that you leave places as you find them. So do I. But it is not on to presume it's ok to just pull a fast one on this.

Why would you disrespect someone's right to ask for tenants with no animals? Why do you think you have the right to just ignore this stipulation?

I respect that you are a good tenant and take you at your word that you leave places as you find them. So do I. But it is not on to presume it's ok to just pull a fast one on this.

I'm not sure where I stand on this. I can see the arguement from the landlords point of view. But 99% of landlords as far as I have seen, will ban animals on their property off hand. If the tenant is responsible enough, there should be no damage due to animals, and tenants have a right to enjoy their leased property as their home and keep pets if they wish. In my own place, pets were never discussed on renting, and I signed a generic lease from the estate agent which did have a line stating no pets allowed. This lease is a template though which is copied and given to every property letted though so I am considering ignoring it and getting a pet.

• Advertisement

The cats will be able to go outside most of the time as it's in the country and they love the outdoors, they'll just sleep in the garage. They'd go stir crazy if left there all the time.

The dog will be confined to a couple of rooms, I'm not planning on having her run riot in the house. She'll get plenty of walks and playtime.

There's always a chance that they'll be allowed as she is only a small dog

Thanks for your post, hopefully he'll realise that he can't just go in and out of the house as he pleases.

OKay here's my query. I have two lovely kitties and a King Charles puppy. Myself and my boyfriend are moving house in a month, and I don't think the new house allows pets.

I'm not getting rid of my animals and I realise that not moving house may be an option so please hold any advice in relation to either of these two. I'm looking for ways to hide the animals from the landlord.

I'm an excellent tenant, sometimes the houses I leave are in better condition when I go that when I first moved in. I would repair any damage done by the animals, but I'm looking for ways to minimise the damage and also make sure the landlord or letting agent don't find the animals.

There's a garage attached to the house so the cats will sleep in there with some heatpads from zooplus and a giant cat tree. I won't be letting them into rooms with carpets. I won't let them on chairs unless they're on my lap, or they're sitting on a blanket. They use a litter tray, but there's a large garden and the house is detached so they'll be allowed outside as well. I need to protect the door into the garage though, and was thinking of putting up tin foil or cardboard or something? Any suggestions here???

The puppy is still in the process of being house-trained but she's nearly there, and there's a big door in the main front room so if she's in there with us she can go to that door if she needs to go to the toilet. I'm thinking of crate training her for the nights so that she doesn't do any damage. And she'll be walked away from the house.

So what do people think? Can this work? Is there anything I should be doing to make sure no one finds out? I'll be hoovering and cleaning and mopping the whole time, and I'm doing my best to make sure furniture won't be damaged.
    Thanks
    To stop draught is it? Get an old blanket , roll it up a bit and push it up against the door all along the bottom. If you're not going to be using the door, you could tape the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If he dose'nt go in , then the letting agent may very well do. It is now standard in a lot of contracts that the owner/agent can make regular visits/inspections. I would advise you be straight up, just as you are here and explain where the pets will be accomadated.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

Why do you you think you have the right to be so judgemental towards the op?
    she/he is only looking for advice on how to maintain/protect the house she will be renting... hardly a crime is it?

In fairness OP the main reason landlords say no pets allowed is due to the havoc they cause, with the property AND with the neighbors, barking etc.
    If you DO keep the place in tip-top shape like you say and your pets are peaceful i don't think the landlord would have a problem with it. The cats will be outside mostly so they can't really do much damage.

All you can do is hide them for a little while and once you are true to your word and keep the place lovely, repair any damage yourself (as it's not the landlords fault you have pets), pay your rent etc.... The landlord should be happy.

Thank you Baralis1. I too have signed several of those generic leases, often in a house where pets were allowed. It's a standard one that everyone seems to use.

Treehouse - there are several clauses in a lease which are rountinely ignored by tenants. Do you know many people who "wash their windows four times a year"? I don't, yet it's been in every lease I've signed.

I totally understand why someone would not allow pets. In my view if a landlord allows pets, it often means that the tenants end up giving the animals free rein of the house. Also it could imply that I could have 5 Rottweilers living inside the house. The pets I have are small and well-behaved. The only issue with the cats could be scratching the door in the garage which I could cover with tin foil or even put up an old door until I move out. The dog is one of the top choices for indoor pets, for a reason! She is almost troilet trained, she's being crate trained for when she's asleep. She doesn't even shed much and she doesn't bark much. I plan on hoovering and cleaning their areas thoroughly at least once a week.

I'll be going to even extra effort now to ensure that the place is spotless

• Advertisement

Thanks for the posts everyone! And the support Ev84b.

I don't mind having inspections, I just want notice. If I knew a couple of days in advance, then all trace of the pets could be gone and the animals left with friends.

The family are a bit anxious as it's their first let of the family home so I don't know if telling them now would be a good idea. However, if in a couple of months time they see that the place is spotless and rent is being paid on time, then I could broach the topic with them then.

I met them for 2 hours the other day and they went through the whole house and didn't mention pets. It was just the letting agent that said no dogs. I don't know where the kitties stand. We'll ask with them again.

Baralis1 - the door query was to protect it from being scratched by the cats but the cat tree should divert them enough.

No problem:D

But i would recommend something a little more heavy-duty than tin-foil;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Be prepared to replace carpets and furnishing (that may be relatively new) due to peeing and claw damage. Once urine gets to the underlay there is no hope!

Be sure that the owners understand that it may be their property but while you are renting it it is no longer their home. Make sure you get a weeks notice in writing for any inspections (not every few weeks!) If they owners are overly anxious they could be overly precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

here here. OP you say your a good tennant but in fact your not. A good tennant wouldnt blatently disregard a very clear stipulation regarding pets.

even attempting to hide this from your new l;andlord is a disgrace

Ev84 wrote: »
    Why do you you think you have the right to be so judgemental towards the op?
    she/he is only looking for advice on how to maintain/protect the house she will be renting... hardly a crime is it?

what planet are you on. That isnt the theme of this thread. He/she is looking for advise on how to blatently decieve her landlord and break a very clear stipulation regarding the rental agreement.

Treehouse is spot on. Nobody has the right to pick and choose the terms of a lease they will and will not adhere to. If your not happy with the terms then you dont sign it and you find somewhere else simple.

And to be clear Im a dog lover but you cannot decide to act like a renegade tennant and expect people to accept and give you advise on how to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

So you're going to be totally fine then when he kicks you out of the house if/when he finds out you've been keeping pets behind his back as its stated before you move that you're not allowed to? You wont be creating a thread then to say "My landlord is kicking me out just becasue I have pets"? Because that is what you are letting yourself in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks for the posts everyone! And the support Ev84b.

I don't mind having inspections, I just want notice. If I knew a couple of days in advance, then all trace of the pets could be gone and the animals left with friends.

The family are a bit anxious as it's their first let of the family home so I don't know if telling them now would be a good idea. However, if in a couple of months time they see that the place is spotless and rent is being paid on time, then I could broach the topic with them then.

I met them for 2 hours the other day and they went through the whole house and didn't mention pets. It was just the letting agent that said no dogs. I don't know where the kitties stand. We'll ask with them again.

Baralis1 - the door query was to protect it from being scratched by the cats but the cat tree should divert them enough.

I would be very, very wary of this house, frankly. After several bad experiences of first lettings of treasured family houses.

They find it hard to "let go", and thus your privacy is not their priority.

And they may well not know the Tenancy Act on the issue of inspections, access etc; and the agent also may not know this.

So please, make sure from the start that they cannot just arrive, as else they will do that. We have in this latest tenancy made sure that both landlord and agent have copies of the Tenancy Act sections re privacy and inspections. This was after a couple of unadvised visits and the utter astonishment by the landlord when we said he could not come in without an appointment. "But I am the owner..!!"

And that that applied also the the garden. And even more so when we are not in.

Thankfully we have a good agent who we made sure informed the landlord. The tenancy was then registered with PTRB which it had not been before.

NB we also had to make sure that they were not coming in when we were out after we came home one day to find the dogs not where we had left them.. So that was clearly laid down also; we actually put a wee chain and small padlock on the outside of the door so we will know if they have tried to get in.

Unless you are in all the time it is going to be very, very hard to hide the dog and hard to walk it also in case you are seen. They tend not to worry about cats as cats in Ireland live outdoors....

We fronted up here and it was fine; there was an old couch they were going to throw out so we commandeered that for the dogs.

We have in the past said nothing; landlords then told us to chain the dogs up outside but we said no way. And another was very glad to have any tenant.

If the landlords are so possessive and worried then you will have abattle for any peace and privacy. Been there, done that; will never do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Treehouse - there are several clauses in a lease which are rountinely ignored by tenants. Do you know many people who "wash their windows four times a year"? I don't, yet it's been in every lease I've signed.
    The two clauses aren't even remotely comparable. There are good reasons why many landlords do not want pets kept in their properties.

OP I think you should be up front with your landlord. Even if you believe that they won't damage the property (which is debatable, despite how well-behaved you believe your animals are), have you considered that you may be causing problems for future tenants of the property who have allergies to pets? Despite what some believe, a quick hoover won't solve the problem.

I wonder if a landlord posted a thread asking for advice on deceiving a tenant and subverting the terms of a signed lease, would he/she receive as much support.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 buddygit

As a landlord, I have a no pets policy due to past experience and the huge expense I had to go to after the tenant left. I would wonder if you are lying to me about your pets, what else are you hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Op you could very easily caught out here. The neighbours may not appreciate the cats doing their business in their garden or the dog barking. They may very well get in touch with the landlord.
    I have always been upfront with landlords re my dog. Have gotten references from old neighbours stating that there has never been issues with the dog. Also offer for them to meet the dog. If thats not good enough for them I'm happy to walk away but have been pleasantly surprised by some.
    At the end of the day landlords are human. Honesty is the best policy. Not worth losing the roof over your head imo.

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »

what planet are you on?

Planet earth... :D
    That isnt the theme of this thread.

Please enlighten me as to what the theme of this thread is... :confused: I know the FORUM is about *property but i understood this particular THREAD to be about help or advice?
    He/she is looking for advise on how to blatently decieve her landlord and break a very clear stipulation regarding the rental agreement.

Listen to yourself... who are you? Mr. MORALS? :mad: It's a small matter and not a catastrophe worthy of so much scrutiny...
    Treehouse is spot on. Nobody has the right to pick and choose the terms of a lease they will and will not adhere to. If your not happy with the terms then you dont sign it and you find somewhere else simple.

Good for Treehouse, Fair play. maybe ye can all write something morally incorrect about my reply and you can all thank each other for it later... :D
    And to be clear Im a dog lover but you cannot decide to act like a renegade tennant and expect people to accept and give you advise on how to do this.

If you say so but the OP is not a bad person for not wanting to give her/his pets away to a shelter and i don't think the OP deserves the grilling she/he is getting from all you law-abiding perfectionists who live every second of your lives being morally correct...

* Edit; i had originally written "law" instead of "property"...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

i think its an absolute disgrace that you are going to lie to your landlord. can i just point out that this is not your house. its your landlords and he is entitled to refuse pets. I am renting a property and i was upfront to my landlord that i have a dog. its common decency and manners. If this is a family house you can bet your bottom dollar the landlord will be around and will catch you out. if anything the neighbours will tell him. and then you may find yourself homeless. not very responsible pet ownership is it. not a very secure home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It's people who try to hide their pets who get all pet owners a bad name with landlords and agencies, and which results in extreme difficulty in responsible pet owners trying to find somewhere suitable which accepts them and their pets.

If you're such a good tenant, OP, you should contact the landlord or agency and see what they say. If they're still adamant that there should be no pets, then obviously it's not the right place for you, and you should look elsewhere which is more suitable and accepts pets.

If you say so but the OP is not a bad person for not wanting to give her/his pets away to a shelter and i don't think the OP deserves the grilling she/he is getting from all you law-abiding perfectionists who live every second of your lives being morally correct...

nobody said he/she is a bad person just a bad tennant. nobody said give your pets away but find somewhere where pets are allowed.

there is no argument to lie to your landlord about having pets. Your told up front no pets then you know what the terms are your not forced to accept the property go find somewhere else.

Im not preaching morals or law here but respect for somebody elses property.

Im not preaching morals or law here but respect for somebody elses property.

And you are right to do so ;) Everyone knows that the OP is doing wrong, it's clear for all to see but she/he has already stated that she/he is going ahead with this regardless and to please hold any advice of going elsewhere or getting rid of the pets... so i did just that.

Maybe the thread is in the wrong forum? She/he is not looking for legal help so maybe this thread should be somewhere else? The OP only had 2 posts in total at the time of my first reply.

Edit; i thought this thread was in the legal section. my mistake, forget that last bit!

And you are right to do so ;) Everyone knows that the OP is doing wrong, it's clear for all to see but she/he has already stated that she/he is going ahead with this regardless and to please hold any advice of going elsewhere or getting rid of the pets... so i did just that.

Maybe the thread is in the wrong forum? She/he is not looking for legal help so maybe this thread should be somewhere else? The OP only had 2 posts in total at the time of my first reply.

look cavet emptor. Im just makign it clear to the OP thay they shoudlnt do it. Ultimatly they can make their own mind up but if they expect to get sympathy in a few months time when they are posting how they have been evicted and their deposit has been kept, Im telling them now not to waste their time ;)

look cavet emptor.

I'm not being smart or anything but i do not know what this means? :confused:

I realize that there are two people (landlord/tennant) in this argument and everyone wants to stick up for the landlords rights. That is completely understandable but seeing as the tennant is already going ahead with this, the only way i can see that you could help the landlord is to advise the tennant on how to maintain/protect the property. It's too late for right versus wrong in this case :confused:

I have to admit though if it was me i would ask the landlord was it OK to bring pets... most Landlords ARE human and would understand the OP's dilemma...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Of course, friends and neighbours may also see these pets, and report it to the unit owner.

The apt below me is rented out and I get along well with the unit owner. We talk from time to time, and I would certainly point out such things to him. But, in saying that, I also get along well with the tenant.

There is another unit beside me where I know the owner, and the unit is rented out. The tenant (who I don't know) seems to have brought in a pet in the last week or so. The dog is left outside a lot and barks a bit. This I have now reported to the unit owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

"The family are a bit anxious as it's their first let of the family home so I don't know if telling them now would be a good idea."

There is also the chance that someone in their family is allergic to animal hair. If it's the family home being rented out I can understand why they wouldn't want to rent it out to someone with pets, especially if there are carpets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

An Adult would pick up the phone and ring the landlord, if they say no way...move on. Cant have it everyway OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement