Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you regard election material as 'Junk Mail'?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    If it's addressed and posted to me then it's a maybe
    Absolutely not. If possible, it pisses me off even more than the trash coming manually through my letterbox that postcard fliers for candidates from a range of parties have been posted in quadruplicate, at my/our expense to the four members of my family.

I resent local businesses trying to hard sell me their products and services in this manner. How much more do you think I resent the self-serving ***** of politicians that want me to vote them into power?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Anything which isn't delivered by the postman is junk mail imo. So yes, election material is junk mail.
    The amount of money wasted on leaflets during election campaigns must be colossal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Anything which isn't delivered by the postman is junk mail imo. So yes, election material is junk mail.
    The amount of money wasted on leaflets during election campaigns must be colossal.

My postman delivers junk mail too on top of the bills which I don't particularly want either.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

Generally, I knock on the door and if nobody answers it I put in a leaflet that says "Sorry I missed you" and also contains the names of the candidate(s) in the local area, there policies and what they have done already for the local area.

We're talking General Election here (I think?).

What has "what they have already done for the local area" to do with it? I have local councillors for that.

I want my TD focussed on what is good for the country and to tell me what he has done, or will do, for the country. Likewise, I won't ask my local council candidate to sort out the EU/IMF, the HSE or the taxation system.

Incidentally, that's also why I don't ask my mechanic to give me an ECG while he's doing a diagnostic scan on my car. That's not his job, it's not what he's qualified for, it's not what I pay him for or what I think he's likely to be good at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Only the Fianna Fail and Green party propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

It is 100% junk mail KP.

I do not depend on a leaflet to make up my mind who to vote for.

On point of principle it all goes directly into the GREEN BIN.

It's all a disgraceful waste of paper and ink. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - You should have provided the option in your poll for ar$e wiper.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

Well many candidates are or were councilors too. Basically they're just showing their track record and experience as a public representative up to now. Also, T.D.'s do have an obligation to fulfill in their local constituency (after all they are representative of their constituency) as well as nationally. The job of a T.D. is not all about prancing around the chambers of the Oireachtas and remaining absent from the affairs and concerns of their community. If a constituent has something they want to raise nationally they can go to their local T.D. to bring the issue forward to the Oireachtas if they want.

Do you have a point to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I fail to see the point in election posters, flyers etc. Surely to jaysus a colourful piece of glossy paper won't make your mind up on who to vote for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Aodan83 wrote: »
    As long as it's informative and not just a flyer saying "Vote for me" with a picture and a name, I'm not too bothered.

Or pointless trivia such as Johnny Bollix has lived in Ballygobackwards since 1982 attended Scumhole street secondary school and is married with 3.14159 kids

Or meaningless drivel such as Johnny Bollix wants better health services and something done about crime

Or a picture of a ballot paper with a 1 beside Johnny Bollix's name (insulting the voters intelligence -great strategy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If there is a "No election material" sign then of course I would respect the recidents' wishes.
    thats crazy logic TBH, like the other poster said you will see lads saying "well it didn't specifically say no pizza vouchers, I bet some people want them". If you are not the postman or deliveryman for something I ordered then get the hell off my property. Its a disgusting waste of time & energy and paper.
    Dermighty wrote: »
    I do think that there is a general sense of forgetfulness when it comes to the post elections collections and responsibility regarding cleaning up the posters and fliers.
    And a forgetfulness of the LAW in dun laoghaire rathdown, let alone the clean up, the ones going up are more often than not legal. I emailed most of the greens 2 years ago about their ILLEGAL election posters, only one replied, and almost every single poster I see of his this year is also illegal and classed as litter, never mind being a danger to how the likes of the emergency services can operate etc. A right crowd of hypocritical cunts. There are still posters littered on the N11 since 2009, its a bloody disgrace what they get away with. Ignorance is no defence of the law, they should all be prosecuted, but ideally they should not do it in the first place, it should be outlawed if the fools cannot manage to put up a poster with an ounce of consideration.

Labour are by far the worst, I think I have only spotted 2 legal ones, and the main ugly bitch whos face is up has apparently got vast experience of the law.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    They make for great fuel in the fireplace.
    A lad in the US signs up to junk mail, he gets loads delivered and uses it to fuel his burner, free fuel all year round, postman probably has a knackered back though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I regard "Junk Mail" as mail I have not asked for and do not want, so yes it is junk mail.

Advertisement