Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important are looks to you?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

DONT LIE!!!

I'm just asking, as an uggo I'm curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

A thing of beauty is a joy to behold, for sure. Nobody's going to be with someone they find physically repulsive. So looks do play into how we're attracted to someone. Anybody who says otherwise isn't being honest.

For me, they're definitely important. I want to be attracted to the girl I'm with. But they're not the most important thing at all. I've gone out with two really beautiful, and (what I'd have thought) out of my league girls. But they really had awful personalities. The relationships didn't last longer than a couple of months before we broke up. So looks are important, but personality trumps them. Looks fade. Personalities endure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Honestly, very important, I do every thing within my power to make sure I look my best at all times. I’m not a confidant person so if I don’t feel like I look well I feel $hit.
    I know this doesn’t make sense, but I’m not a shallow person. My desire to look good comes from my own low self esteem; I don’t think others are even aware of the effort I put in. And I definitely don’t expect others to make the same affords.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Looks are important to everyone. But what each person considers "attractive" is completely different from the next person. I was showing a friend a picture of a guy that I think is absolutely gorgeous, and her response was "Meh, I suppose". I think he's so good-looking that I can't imagine him ever being interested in me, but she thought he was run-of-the-mill.

So a person might perceive themselves as being ugly, but someone else might think you're gorgeous. Everyone has different tastes and types, and there'll always be someone out there who thinks you're gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Looks are important, and anyone who denies that is lying.

BUT, being attracted to someone, and just acknowledging that they're good looking are two completely different things. For example, I can see that Brad Pitt is a good looking guy - but he doesn't exactly make me go weak at the knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Idunnolol

Faith wrote: »
    Looks are important to everyone. But what each person considers "attractive" is completely different from the next person. I was showing a friend a picture of a guy that I think is absolutely gorgeous, and her response was "Meh, I suppose". I think he's so good-looking that I can't imagine him ever being interested in me, but she thought he was run-of-the-mill.

So a person might perceive themselves as being ugly, but someone else might think you're gorgeous. Everyone has different tastes and types, and there'll always be someone out there who thinks you're gorgeous.

The last sentence of your post in not true.

• Advertisement

Idunnolol wrote: »
    The last sentence of your post in not true.

Yes, it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OP, whatever about looks, a constant self-deprecating and negative attitude is very draining and an absolute turnoff.

G86 wrote: »
    Yes, it is.

There's plenty of people with an in-your-face type of ugly. I know one man retirment age that has never had a girlfriend/wife and never had sex without paying for it. He looks like a monkey. Point is, it is possible to be so ugly that no one will ever be attracted to you, VERY possible.

bluewolf wrote: »
    OP, whatever about looks, a constant self-deprecating and negative attitude is very draining and an absolute turnoff.

Exactly. A bit of confidence goes a long way when it comes to attractiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Yes, it is.
    +1

In fact there's more than 'someone.' There's plenty of people who'll think you're gorgeous, even if you don't. Absolutely everyone has different tastes. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is true.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of people with an in-your-face type of ugly. I know one man retirment age that has never had a girlfriend/wife and never had sex without paying for it. He looks like a monkey. Point is, it is possible to be so ugly that no one will ever be attracted to you, VERY possible.

No, that's simply YOUR definition of ugly. You can't possibly comment on the rest of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Is it not more likely that he's got some stupidly high standard and won't go near a woman that did find him attractive because he didn't find her attractive enough?

No, that's simply YOUR definition of ugly. You can't possibly comment on the rest of the population.

Everyone finds him ugly, he has a lifetime of loneliness to prove it.

Some people choose to be single. Are you single? Does that mean you're ugly?

Some people choose to be single. Are you single? Does that mean you're ugly?

I'm single because I'm ugly, among many more reasons I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

But is he funny, or charming, or kind, or intelligent?

Many people will look past a not so handsome face, if what's inside is more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwfGkiIAAvuYgXk1JIyoTFQIjANIXYU16D1CriQATKvmIv_1Kv&t=1

Take trolls for example.

Some people thought they were ugly, others popped them on the end of their pencil because they were cute.

Maybe you should ask yourself the motivation of your post. If you are in fact a confirmed "uggo" and believe that beauty is not in the eye of the beholder...why would you care if it matters to others?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As a male "uggo" the Ladies lounge is not the place to be asking for advice. maybe have a read of the charter before starting another thread. Closed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement