Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinspittle

Options
  • 09-02-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you guys think of the moving statue stories from Ballinspittle 25 years ago.

I heard a radio documentary about it, and it just seems to be strange to me, because - although I don't believe any of it - Ballinspittle didn't really gain much from it. If it was all a sham, or a fraud, or a sham and a fraud, why didn't they try to turn it into some sort of pilgramage place and sell a few bottles of holy water? Or does anyone know if they did make any money out of it? Donations?

I think it's more likely to have been some kind of mass hysteria, people convincing themselves that they saw something.

Anyone here ever been there? Anyone ever had a statue of the Blessed Virgin wave at them?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

marty1985 wrote: »
    Just wondering what you guys think of the moving statue stories from Ballinspittle 25 years ago.

First i've heard of'em to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

There's a wh0re house in Ballinspittle called 'Ball in spittle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

First i've heard of'em to be honest.

I distinctly remember telling you 25 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

I think it's more likely to have been some kind of mass hysteria, people convincing themselves that they saw something.

Really?
    You think that?
    Rather that cast concrete moving due to the power of a allseeing being in the sky that no-ones ever seen?

Ha! I pity thee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Got it in one. When I was about 10, I was convinced that I saw the devil in the face of a friend of mine in a church (I think we were the only 2 in there, after school for some reason). I ran from him like the clappers, poor fella just saw me look at him in horror and bolt. Naturally, he ran after me to find out what it was about him that spooked me. I was now being chased by my friend who I thought was possessed, so the two of us ended up sprinting all the way to my house where I slammed the door in his face.

Looking back, it's hilarious, but at the time I totally believed it. We'd been talking about the devil and satan a lot in school, saying prayers backwards in mirrors etc., so it was very much on my mind at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I cringe everytime I see this on Reeling In The Years!
    Wogan also did a little piece on it in his 'Ireland' programme on BBC a few weeks ago, talk about making a show of us, bet everyone in the UK who watched were rinsing themselves at the stupid Paddies :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I distinctly remember telling you 25 years ago.

Sorry man... my memory is shot to pieces... just short of tattooing vital information onto me body.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

I think its a shame that the statues only move rather than spit at passers by.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

I heard a radio documentary about it, and it just seems to be strange to me, because - although I don't believe any of it - Ballinspittle didn't really gain much from it. If it was all a sham, or a fraud, or a sham and a fraud, why didn't they try to turn it into some sort of pilgramage place and sell a few bottles of holy water? Or does anyone know if they did make any money out of it? Donations?

Anyone here ever been there? Anyone ever had a statue of the Blessed Virgin wave at them?

There's a good doc on RTE player I saw a few weeks back called
    Apparitions - about that mad lad from Ballyfermot who got thousands of travellers to go to Knock to see Mary. It also covered other "appraritions"

Very good - informative & enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's proven pact, statues move and walk and cry and sing during mushroom season every year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Man oh man we pulled some good pranks that summer!

But this was a huge deal at the time. I mean, thousands of people were convinced. Or was it really a case of they didn't have d'internet, so they weren't as advanced and sophisticated as us.

Fcuking hell, how could I forget something as nuts happened in Sligo or somewhere with the people and the sun and the staring. Makes Ballinspittle look normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

a case of they didn't have d'internet, so they weren't as advanced and sophisticated smug as us.

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Think I may have been at it years ago with the parents. They certainly didn't make a fortune like yer wan out on Achill Island. Don't know who is worse, the people that make money out of that stuff, or the clowns that part with their cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

kfallon wrote: »
    I cringe everytime I see this on Reeling In The Years!
    Wogan also did a little piece on it in his 'Ireland' programme on BBC a few weeks ago, talk about making a show of us, bet everyone in the UK who watched were rinsing themselves at the stupid Paddies :rolleyes:

They just need to read the business section of a any newspaper in the last eight months to get their lols at paddy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Fcuking hell, how could I forget something as nuts happened in Sligo or somewhere with the people and the sun and the staring. Makes Ballinspittle look normal.

Not to mention that tree stump that herself appeared in not too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

fyp

Thank you my good man, but I had already wrapped everything into a nice neat sarcastic little package.

If I could multi quote I would.

Maybe we need another Ballinspittle to lift the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Thank you my good man, but I had already wrapped everything into a nice neat sarcastic little package.

If I could multi quote I would.

Maybe we need another Ballinspittle to lift the economy.

These things do tend to come along when the morale of the people is at a low ebb - Ballinspittle in th 80's, Knock in 1879, that whole Christ thing in Jeruselem. (and Star Wars in the 70's).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

was just about to Google that clip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I remember the whole "moving statue" phenomenom well. The funniest thing about it was the way it spread. Within 2 days of the original (and the best) movement you couldn't pass any statue of Mary without seeing a crowd of at least 100 staring at it.

Although, two years later myself and a friend were driving past the statue at Ballinspittle and one of the back doors fell off his Morris Minor....we just threw it onto the back seat and kept going, but there wasn't much chat in the car for the next 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

Apparently at the height of the excitement about it there could be anything up to 10,000 people in the field opposite waiting for some movement by the statue. The burger vans did a roaring trade. A throwback to a time when religion really did hold sway over the country, I cant imagine we will ever see the like of it again, no harm either.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I remember the whole "moving statue" phenomenom well. The funniest thing about it was the way it spread. Within 2 days of the original (and the best) movement you couldn't pass any statue of Mary without seeing a crowd of at least 100 staring at it.

Although, two years later myself and a friend were driving past the statue at Ballinspittle and one of the back doors fell off his Morris Minor....we just threw it onto the back seat and kept going, but there wasn't much chat in the car for the next 20 minutes.

I can imagine the statue trying to keep a straight face at the two Protestants in the Morris Minor missing a door!

She has a wicked sense of humour, Our Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Remember it well and I was only seven - it was huge news, and taken really seriously. One of the wettest summers on record, Cork had taken a real hammering in terms of job losses with two major employers, Ford and Dunlop, closing... it was as if this filled the void, gave people something to get excited about.
    I remember being brought to the place and all the crowds with their binoculars. Utter ludicrousness - and straight out of Father Ted...

OP, is your username a reference to Master McFly? And if so, I'm with ya on the 1985 obsession...

Dudess wrote: »
    Remember it well and I was only seven - it was huge news, and taken really seriously. One of the wettest summers on record, Cork had taken a real hammering in terms of job losses with two major employers, Ford and Dunlop, closing... it was as if this filled the void, gave people something to get excited about.
    I remember being brought to the place and all the crowds with their binoculars. Utter ludicrousness - and straight out of Father Ted...

OP, is your username a reference to Master McFly? And if so, I'm with ya on the 1985 obsession...

Yes. My mother has got the hots for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was only a kid back then but as far as I remember these moving stautes hid the kerry babies in don tideys house while he was having a nap.

I think shergar was mixed up in it all too :confused:

Yes, it was 25 years ago, which means Bob Geldof was dining off I Don't Like Mondays even then.

There was a lot of spontanaeity to Ballinspittle. Not like JC (Joe Coleman, not Jesus Christ) arranging for people to look at that big shiny sun.

Anyone know what the local area is like now? And do the locals ever see her moving any more? Wasn't she vandalised at some time too?

Probably the two lads in the Morris Minor which was missing a door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm told a sign was hung on the statue of Mary where I lived that read 'Out Of Order'.

Advertisement